local farmers' market

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
DSCN2481.JPG

DSCN2482.JPG

DSCN2483.JPG

DSCN2484.JPG

DSCN2485.JPG

Goin tomorrow morning! BTW I cant really make out your pictures they wont blow up.

I went to ours this morning, and it's in full swing. About 100 vendors, more food than you can shake a stick at, and mobbed with people.

When DH and I were dating, he brought me down here in January and took me to the farmer's market. In January it was better than anything I'd seen anywhere else, any time. It really wasn't a fair fight. ;)

Love the market!

A couple years ago I took a chance for $8 or so and bought a homemade pecan pie at the Farmer's Market. It was the best pecan pie I ever ate! Worth every penny.

Around here, things at the farmer's markets are about twice as expensive as at the grocery store. Is that true everywhere?

That's not a premium I'm willing to pay, except for fantastic tomatoes, peaches, and a few other fruits that are better at the market.

DW bought fresh green beans at a farmers market last week. Said they were half the price she paid at the supermarket. Not sure about other items.

Things were more expensive than normal today. Found some deals on squash and carrots. Fresh salmon was 22$ a pound. Guy told me "but Ive come down 5 dollars since last week". I mumbled Ill pass. Cherries were more expensive than our local grocery store by a large margin.

Most of the farmer's markets around here and there are tons of them are less expensive than the grocery store and much nicer produce.

Few more weeks things will be more in season. Then the price difference will show.

There are great markets in NYC, but I live too far now to go. Instead we patronize the farm stand/market of the good-sized (for NJ) farm down the road. They grow all kinds of interesting stuff (often have things I have never seen, even as a confirmed foodie) and you know it is about as local as it gets. We frequently see one of the guys who runs the farm pull up in a laden pickup dropping off just-picked stuff while we are shopping there. Best of all, they vastly underprice the local supermarket. In season we are there about every week.

It was rainy and still a bit early in the season. Later there will be more vendors.

First strawberries this week. Last asparagus was last week.

I really don't know how the prices compare on the vegetables and fruit. The meat and eggs are definitely more expensive but I'm eating a lot less now that I'm retired. A steak that would have been two or three meals while I was w*rking is now six meals.

TA, our farmers markets are dang expensive too. It seems to be more of a yuppie/go green thing than cheap local eats.

I'm at the Iowa/Illinois border where there are lots of farms, so pricewise it's cheap or the same as the stores. Sometimes the breadmakers charge much more than the stores, tho, here. Pies are around $8-9 just about anywhere here for a full size pie; but the difference is the crust, since few seem to know how to make a good crust it seems. Cookies and the rest seem pretty much the same price as the stores, but lacking the preservatives.
The advantage of the farmer's markets to me is that the produce is homegrown and not grown in a lab. More flavor. Better color. Much more flavor.

I'm at the Iowa/Illinois border where there are lots of farms, so pricewise it's cheap or the same as the stores. Sometimes the breadmakers charge much more than the stores, tho, here. Pies are around $8-9 just about anywhere here for a full size pie; but the difference is the crust, since few seem to know how to make a good crust it seems. Cookies and the rest seem pretty much the same price as the stores, but lacking the preservatives.
The advantage of the farmer's markets to me is that the produce is homegrown and not grown in a lab. More flavor. Better color. Much more flavor.

Some locals do heirloom varieties. Expensive, funny looking, delicious.

We find our local farmer's market to have comparable prices to the supermarket for organic foods, and during peak seasons it's usually a good bit cheaper for far superior foods. Since we prefer organic foods, shopping at the market is a no-brainer for us. I also like that the farmers get more of the profits, so it helps keep our local family farms operating.

IMO, one of the most amazing benefits of living in the southern part of California is that fact that we can get great produce, locally, year-round. We love our food, and we love it more when it's good!

The farmer's market close to me sells the same stuff as the stores, at least off season. I can tell because they don't bother to remove the produce tags...

My farmers' markets consist of a table by the side of the road and a homemade sign. I'm serious. Lots of home gardeners and dairy farmers put their excess stuff out by the road and sell it in small baskets or bags for 50 cents or less. "Honor boxes" are there for making change.
When the late summer comes, I can get produce dirt cheap. I grab a lot of fresh tomatoes and sweet peppers and take them home for freezing. The veggies won't win any beauty contests, but they are usually not pesticide laden and 2 days old at the most. Huge fresh tomatoes, sometimes a little overripe and all ready for a mayo-tomato sandwich. :D
There are regular farmer's markets in larger towns, but I'm too lazy to drive 45 minutes to get there.

Around here, things at the farmer's markets are about twice as expensive as at the grocery store. Is that true everywhere?

The problem is that you need to shop at Whole Foods instead of the grocery store. Then you could save money by going to the farmer's market.

Seriously though, I never thought the farmer's market was much cheaper than the grocery store. And certainly not worth the trip across town to one of them. And their selection isn't always the best.

Farmers markets

Tomato and mayo sandwiches are my absolute favorite. With maybe a few sprigs of basil added. I am something of a farmers market maven. We have a large number here in western PA and their fruit and veg offerings are certainly better and cheaper than the grocery stores. I think they are a destination in and of themselves, and I will drive all over to check them out. In addition to really delicious berries and veggies and huge assortments of mushrooms and chevre, some also sell frozen farm raised meats(I bring a cooler). Now the meats are priced about what you would pay at a gourmet market but I think they are tastier by far and as I eat small portions of animal protein anyway, I snatch up the lamb sausages or a pot roast when I see them. One lady sells the best bacon I have ever eaten. It goes great on a tomato and mayo sandwich, too, especially with a nice,chewy bread. I buy corn and some veggies right on the edge of a field, sold by a local family farm(not a farm market per se). Some markets also sell quilts, collectibles, plants, furniture,soaps and all manner of things. I better stop now as I could enthuse on this subject at length. Suffice it to say that my larder is better stocked than any of the people I know, even those with families. It is one area where I am not frugal.

I love the little farmstands out in the country--we try to find them when we tool around.

Our local farmers market unfortunately is a chamber of commerce thingie, expensive without quality.

And of course you have to have a slice of that wonderful XXXtra sharp cheddar wheel sitting under the glass dome. :D
River Rat Cheese » Products

Ah, yes, cheese. My absolute favorite food. Worthy of a thread all its own. For my fiftieth birthday a few years ago, my office threw a "wine"(non-alcoholic cider served in disposable stemware) and cheese party for me at lunch. People brought in all kinds of different cheese samples and crackers and fruits. I was also presented with an impressive tome: The Encyclopedia of Cheese. My boss is always bringing me unusual artisan cheeses from the eastern part of the state when she goes home to visit family. I know it's something really good when people start to complain of the horrible stink in the fridge and it turns out to be a hunk of cheese from her with my name on it.

Back
Top Bottom