Local Sales Tax

Mark1

Full time employment: Posting here.
We were out with some friends the other day and one couple mentioned that because of living outside the city limits, they commonly buy items on-line (instead of within the store) to save on local retail sales tax. We also live outside the city limits and although I was aware that some vendors don't charge us the local city taxes for purchases (e.g. new car purchases), I hadn't really considered playing the game like our friends. For example, with Sam's plus membership shipping is free and the prices on-line are identical to the store price, so in our case by shipping to the house we can save a whooping 3.4%. This greatly exceeds the 2% cash back I get on my Fido CC. :) I was wondering if other folks who live outside the city limits also play the retail sales tax game when shipping is free (?).

Out of curiosity, I went through some recent purchases and noted the following:

Sam's in-store tax percentage = 8.66%
Sam's, Costco and Amazon On-line tax percentage = 5.26% (or 5.27%) .
Amazon also charges $0.27 (or $0.28) CO Retail Del. Fee (independent of sale price) on some orders (I'm not sure what this is about?).
REI On-line tax percentage = 8.66%, so apparently they only use the city within the mailing address and assume you live within the city limits.

Back
Top Bottom