Man walking across US

FUEGO

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm Just Walkin'

30 year old civil engineer from NY walking 3,000 miles across the country to the Pacific coast of Oregon. He is camping out the whole way and pushing a converted jogging stroller with his gear stowed on it.

I emailed the blog author to give him encouragement. I see a little of myself in him.

As it pertains to ER, he says on his "why is he doing it" section that he figures he might as well do something crazy like this while he is young and able instead of waiting till he is old and gray and unable. Why spend your whole life saving up just to live out the last bit?

I plan to walk to the refrig each and every day for the rest of my life, for a med or two.:)

This is the best ongoing joke on the board. Whenever I hesitate to pour a little wine with my fancier lunches I just ask Myself, "What would The Dawg do?"

Then all is well.

Ha

This guy is certainly in the spirit of my own soul. I could have retired earlier (now 54) and will probably do so in another year but from the time I was 21 I've been slightly distracted from my plan as I've thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail (twice), thru-hiked the Pacific Crest Trail (Mexico to Canada), solo paddled the Yukon River 1,800 miles to the Bering Sea, bicycled the Alaska Highway... and that only breaks the crust of my need for adventure.

Yeah I'll be retiring a little later than I could have but I'll only be young once. I suppose that we all seize the moment in our own way. Thanks for sharing the link!

This is an interesting thread..... as I just watched a Nightline piece about some guy who is walking the whole length of the Amazon...

Seems nobody has ever done it before... or at least nobody has claimed to have done it... IIRC, he thought it would take a year... he is maybe two years into it... and is now getting funding from kids in science classes...

More than once, while out hiking, I have thought to myself that it would be nice just to keep on going and leave the world and its cares behind.

More than once, while out hiking, I have thought to myself that it would be nice just to keep on going and leave the world and its cares behind.
It worked for Forrest Gump:
That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on going. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going.
As I recall, Forrest was basically ER'ed by then - I think Captain Dan had already sent him the letter telling him they didn't have to worry about that work thing anymore.

It seems like he is depending on donations from others. And walking across cold areas of the USA during the winter, ouch! Most of his time would be spent walking across flat plains which would get pretty boring after several months instead of cities and towns. For me, personally, none of this seems too appealing -- he would be pretty filthy and does not discuss bathroom details, uh-hum. The Pacific-crest trail or the Appalachian trail would seem much more interesting. Or just touring the USA with a van. In any case, I wish him the best on his voyage, along with warmer weather.

Kramer

When I was riding across the country on a bicycle in 1976 (lots of people did it that year), one day I came across a hiker who was hiking some long distance. He said it was slow, he was tired, and a bicycle would be better. Even with a bicycle, the midwest plains just go on and on and on.....

Back
Top Bottom