Marketing Test

Sadly, I had a 17/20 and correctly recognized all the audio tests.

That Intel jingle is probably the reason AMD is in trouble... Does AMD even have a jingle?

That Intel jingle is probably the reason AMD is in trouble... Does AMD even have a jingle?

They dont, unless its "we lose money on every sale, and somehow we're not making it up in the volume".

Good thing I strongly objected to the eventually defeated attempts during cost cutting meetings to knock the last "bong" off the jingle... ;)

Not to go too far afield, because I'm generally not known for that, but AMD's problem is no more and no less that Intel is one of the most fastidious manufacturing companies on the planet. AMD's manufacturing, when they do it in-house, is lackluster. When they farm it out, its expensive. Intel has such incredibly low failure rates and such high yields that given a silicon slice, they'll make far more pieces far more cheaply than pretty much any other chip maker.

Thats where the rubber meets the road: big profits when they can keep the price points high, still good profits when they adjust price points low enough to force AMD to sell at margin.

Having a superior product certainly helps.

So does creating a marketing and advertising plan that actually invites the customer to give a hoot who made a chip thats inside their computer. Most people dont even care who makes the computer.

19/20 unfortunately. I have made an effort to watch less TV, but I guess I haven't gotten that nonsense out of my head yet...

But he recognizes coke machines, coke trucks, and everything is coke. He calls pepsi "blue coke", real coke "red coke", and one of his favorites is 7-up which is "white coke".

This reminds my of when my niece was a little kid with many many Barbie dolls. I asked her once what were the names of her Barbies. She promptly recited different names for each one. She understood: Barbie is a brand, not a name. :)

By some guess work I managed 16/20. However, like someone else I didn't realise that you were supposed to have the audio on for the last few questions which makes it hard to guess what the sound is.

Some were just guesses.

They were mostly older; I don't watch TV much anymore.

20/20 "Calgon, take me away!"

The only one that was unfamiliar was the ESPN music, since I never watch/watched ESPN. But it was easy to tell just by the 'tone' of the music.

Yeh, I thought calling all soda "Coke" was a Southern thing.. prolly because of Coke coming out of Georgia and being the first widely marketed beverage of that type, before there were other flavors?
http://popvssoda.com:2998/countystats/total-county.html
I couldn't get over it the first time I heard someone ask for an "orange coke"..

My sister's kids have recently been into "everything Dora".. they want "Dora" cookies and "Dora" soup, not to mention "Dora" backpacks and shoes and gloves and hats and shirts (for the girl). "Dora" SOUP?

Like Coke, Kleenex is an even more ubiquitous name. No one I know ever asks for a tissue, always a Kleenex.

My sister's kids have recently been into "everything Dora".. they want "Dora" cookies and "Dora" soup, not to mention "Dora" backpacks and shoes and gloves and hats and shirts (for the girl). "Dora" SOUP?

Yep, Gabe spotted Dora cereal and had to have it. Turns out its better nutritionally than the stuff I'd been getting him in the natural food aisle.

Even more pleasing, he developed a distinctly unbranded affinity for those super high fiber "twigs" cereals. Actually they have a nice nutty flavor

He didnt care much for the Arthur version of spaghettios though, which is good cuz those are $2.50 a can.

Also, if all y'all havent gone toy shopping in a while, thats an interesting experience. Everything is branded to a tv show now.

16/20. I think I need to turn off the tv and get out more:duh:.

Well that may very well be true, but I suspect that if you gave this quiz to every American over 25 the average score would be very high.

Funny. I got them all. I just figured if it looked like something I could draw, it must be the ape. Not sure what that says about my artistic ability, but it was good for my score.

83.3% (5 out of 6 correct). I made the assumption that a human would be more likely to include structural elements. I had difficulty with #2, because I thought it had almost as much structure as #1.

But what the heck, we're cousins anyway!

Funny. I got them all. I just figured if it looked like something I could draw, it must be the ape. Not sure what that says about my artistic ability, but it was good for my score.

It just means you and the ape have more free thinking minds than the artists.

I missed the first one . I actually recognized the Jackson Pollack piece (couldn't have told you who created it.)

SOMETHING must be wrong. it was telling me that i was wrong on every one...easy ones too...must be a glitch

Back
Top Bottom