Matching Washers & Dryers

I replace 'em when they break. Never fix 'em, just replace 'em.

Our washer and dryer match - they are both 30+ years old, bought together to replace a small stacked unit.

If one needs to be replaced, the other will stay until it needs to be replaced. Though they are behind bi-fold doors, no aesthetic issues.

-ERD50

Well thats good to know...I bought the cheapest washer and dryer I could over 15 years ago for around $200 a piece. Figured I would need to replace both soon...Maybe not after your post, they may just be getting broke in good now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll have a new matching set when I move into my house. I need a stacking set due to limited space so I think matching is the only option. I'm not too crazy about how high they make the stacking sets these days, but I'll have to make do with what I can find.

Long ago I had a matching set in Almond. By the time one died, it was just about impossible to find that color, so then they didn't match. After moving, I usually need a new set and get matching units, in plain white. Then when I need to replace one or the other, a new white one "matches" the survivor. I never end up with matching brands, but I stick to white so I always have a "matching" look.

.. Surprised by some folks here who have such old washing machines, the energy efficiency really went up with newer ones (<10y).

Some only look at capital, not cash flow effect.

So I'm curious if you are still surprised, or feel that some people didn't make a full analysis, after reading samclem's reply (below).

I find there is often a knee-jerk reaction to the efficiency improvement in newer models of things. But as samclem has pointed out, there is more to it.

We are on a well, and the marginal cost per gallon of water is extremely low. We heat the water with natural gas, also low cost. I don't think it makes economic sense for us to replace a working unit with new. Too much broad-brush thinking when it comes to efficiency, IMO.

We also have an ancient freezer and spare fridge. While the newer units are more efficient, it only costs a few bucks a month extra for the old ones. Not even worth the hassle of shopping to me, or setting up delivery, let alone the cost.

- ERD50

And sometimes, with just a couple of people in the house, the payback for a newer washer, even if it is energy efficient, is very long. Also, keeping an old appliance running prevents the use of a lot of energy to produce a new appliance.
It takes about 7,000 kWH of energy to produce a washing machine. If I wash 3 loads per week, and each load uses .26 KWH, I can wash my clothes for 172 years before I've used enough electricity to produce a new machine. Water costs about 4 cents per load, and if I assume that this represents only the fuel needed to pump and store it ( a generous assumption), then that cuts the energy break-even point to about 80 years (if the modern marvel machine uses zero water--again, a highly generous assumption). Now, if I used hot water (which I do very seldom, modern detergents work well in "cold" water), or if I washed many more loads per week, or if water was scarce in my area, then a modern efficient washer it might make sense from a public good or an economic standpoint, but for most empty nesters in areas with "regular" utility rates, it does not. Keeping old appliances running is a more responsible and a more thrifty course of action.

Opps--I got the wrong appliance. It's 7,000 kWH to produce a refrigerator, and about 4000 kWH to produce a washing machine. That's the same energy needed to run the machine for about 99 years (at 3 loads/wk), or about 46 years if we also include the energy cost for pumping/storing the water. Same conclusion: Keeping older machines running rather than producing a new one can save energy and money. Doing well by doing good.

I'm actually diagnosed with OCD, and I could give a flying fig about whether my appliances match. :)

I have all the same color (white) and would prefer it to be that way, but I am not throwing out a perfectly good working appliance for appearance. This sounds more like people with more money (or debt) than sense.

And the washer and dryer are unmatched, over 20 years old and received after the husband's grandfather passed away. Both work very well and as I wash only about 1-2 loads every two weeks and hang dry our clothes like 90% of the time, they'll probably last quite a bit longer.

So I'm curious if you are still surprised, or feel that some people didn't make a full analysis, after reading samclem's reply (below).

Never ran the numbers for washing machines, I assumed it was the same as with refrigerators. Also, in my (and my friends) experience unless one buys Miele (or equivalent) washing machines tend to break down within 5 to 10 years.

Turns out the difference is much smaller with washing machines, and non-existent for dryers.

Interesting (and thank you!).

Mine don't match and it does not bother me a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Of course mine match. They are both white. Different brands and different ages, but the same color. That's matching, right?

Let's see. Harvest gold and avocado. I take it that's not a match? Hand me downs were more than welcome back in the day. Never bothered us.

Now they're both white, but different brands. I guess we're gaining on them. YMMV

Mine do not match. They were out in the garage, but had them moved upstairs when we remodeled. You go past them, if you are going to the main level bathroom, so people do see them. My DH wanted them upstairs on our main floor and it was not that big of a deal to me. My DD said that we needed to get a matching pair, since people can see them. I told her that they both worked well and no way was I going to replace them.

Our washer and dryer are not a matched pair and neither are DW and I, and DW's twins from her first marriage are not matched (twins, but not identical - not even recognized as sisters:LOL:)

Back
Top Bottom