Mavericks to Yosemite

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Any of you Mac users contemplating upgrading or have already upgraded your OS from Mavericks to Yosemite?

I am hearing positives about Yosemite, but I will most likely wait to see if any revisions come out in the next few months to fix bugs. Anyone see it differently?

I upgraded last night. So far no problems.

Seems to be pretty smooth for most people, but I'll wait another week or two.

I am delaying the update simply because my printer has a strange error message, and I am unsure what will happen if I upgrade. Oddly enough, the printer works fine except for an error message telling me the printer software is not properly installed. Perhaps, some minor feature is not available to me?

In any event, I will probably make a SuperDuper bootable backup drive first, install Yosemite on it, and if all goes well, then install on the iMac.

Overall, I have found Apple updates to work very well and the update process has been painless. My hesitation is an abundance of caution.

Note: despite the predictions of the demise of the traditional computer in favor of phones and tablets, Mac [-]sales[/-] shipments have hit a record high last quarter. My local wifi enabled coffee place is full of young folks with MacBooks. This can't be bad for Apple.

Am I the only one that looked at the title and thought travel thread for political junkies?

Am I the only one that looked at the title and thought travel thread for political junkies?

I wish I did, but unfortunately I'm enough of a geek that I saw it as an Apple OS thread. Would rather go to Yosemite than do the OS upgrade though.

When my 2011 vintage MacBook Pro was having a lot of problems early in the year, one of the Apple store technicians told me that I should stick with Lion or Mountain Lion as putting on the more recent OS would degrade the performance on the Mac...Is there any truth to this?

When my Mac finally died (hard drive, logic board and cabling had to be replaced) their repair facility upgraded me to Mavericks and everything works fine. Is there a reason I should not be upgrading to Yosemite? Thanks.

My almost six year old MacBook (aluminum case) runs Mavericks with no problem. It's about as 'fast' as Lion was. Meaning it works OK, but it is an old machine with a slower processor, HD etc.

I have not tried Yosemite on it. I guess I am waiting to see how the water falls with this OS.

I thought it was a thread for surfers and mountain climbers/hikers

:facepalm:

Me too, I thought that it was some kind of cool hike across Northern California.

While I upgraded OSX from Mavericks to Yosemite a few days ago on my iMac, it did not even occur to me that it could be a Apple thread. :) No problems with the upgrade though.

Updated to Yosemite last week and it seems to be working well. The only thing
I haven't liked so far is the new calculator. So I deleted it and restored the Mavericks
calculator so all is well.

Am I the only one who thought Mark Cuban has lost his mind?

I thought it was a thread for surfers and mountain climbers/hikers

:facepalm:

Me too, I thought that it was some kind of cool hike across Northern California.

While I upgraded OSX from Mavericks to Yosemite a few days ago on my iMac, it did not even occur to me that it could be a Apple thread. :) No problems with the upgrade though.

I am disappointed in your lack of nerdiness. Any how, I still think I'll wait a while longer despite some of the success stories reported

Nope... I thought, "Strange, the Dallas Mavericks are going to be playing in Yosemite from now on"?

When I saw the thread, my thought was 'what does the Mavericks surfing competition have to do with Yosemite' :greetings10:.

Recently got back from a trip to Sequoia and Kings Canyon and was thinking about a jaunt to Yosemite later, so of course my first thought was some independent-minded people were heading off to Yosemite NP. Didn't dare comment about my ignorance until I found out some others were on my same track. :blush:

I'm a long time software developer with an abundance of caution when it comes to protecting my data and system operability. I never update before at least a .1 version, and often wait for .2 or .3, except for experimenting on a spare machine. I use that spare machine to verify that all my important software works with the new OS. And this won't change now that I'm retired.

There were enough problems with Mavericks that I kept putting of an upgrade from Mountain Lion. By the time it got to late summer, I decided I might as well wait for Yosemite. Because of some feature dependencies between Yosemite and iOS 8, I will also wait until I can upgrade to both.

When upgrade time finally comes, I always make multiple backups first, and a full disk clone that I can revert to if needed.

I kept looking for reported problems that might affect me, but didn't find any.

So I did the upgrade to Yosemite this morning. Easy, quick, and painless.

Haven't found any gotchas after a few hours of looking for them, and I do like the new features and new look.

So, another satisfied customer.

Back
Top Bottom