Microsoft doesn't call you...

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
You knew that, but... just in case...
This AM, jeanie called me to her computer to see a big red warning telling her to call Microsoft to prevent access to information on her computer. Mentioned bank accounts etc. and had a number to call... supposedly Microsoft. I called just to see how far it would go,and talked to the usual foreign speaking representative. A lot of doubletalk. He even offered to give me the "main" Microsoft telephone number to check. When I asked him to tell me the number that I had called, he had no idea.
I had to advise him that the "warning" had a misspelled word. :LOL:

Anyway, as you knew, Microsoft does not make security phone calls.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4013405/windows-protect-from-tech-support-scams

One more thing... when you google "Microsoft phone call scam", there are a dozen links... all to Anti-virus websites. This particular "warning" seems to have passed both anti-virus programs on my computer. :cool:

Neither does AT&T fraud dept. This call came in my called ID. Foreign accent male speaking English. I asked for a call back number in case we got disconnected. He said he could not give it to me. I hung up on him.

Yep they don't. When I was developing software for Megacorp we had issues tracking what workstations had what parts of our code loaded. This was a closed environment where all the PCs were known and we still couldn't guarantee who had what. The notion that Microsoft or anyone could track their software across the internet is rather humorous.

I rather enjoy it when I get a call that my computer is infected and that they will offer to fix it. I pretend I know almost nothing about computers (I'm a retired UNIX system Administrator) and with their procedure, asking lots of question, thanking them for helping me and waste as much of their time as I can before telling them to get lost.

I wouldn't engage with a scammer, but like to check out on youtube folks messing and wasting scammers' time.

Saw one video where a guy had two cell phones on speaker, dialed an IRS scam number and a Microsoft scammer at the same time. Had both of the scammers trying to scam and arguing with each other not realizing they both been had :LOL:.

Back
Top Bottom