Mirrors - Are You An Outty or an Inny?

I still shoulder-check as an outty. Just a quick glance in case something is in a sliver of a blind spot left over.

+1

Double checking, which I've always done, makes even more sense now as my reflexes are slowing down (at least compared to my teenage years). Better safe than sorry.

I drove my car today (not on the freeway but around town to run an errand) with the mirrors set up as an "outty" to avoid blind spots. I really like the set up (especially on passenger side) how when cars pass, as soon as the cars can't be seen on the rear view mirror they show up on the side mirrors.

But I don't know how comfortable the driver side will feel when I go on the freeway. I like to be able to keep track of cars on the left side from a distance having part of my car in view at a glance. Maybe with the new settings, constantly keeping track shouldn't be necessary..but that feels strange looking at the side mirror and not seeing my car. Old habits die hard.

NO! No reason to re-adjust mirrors to back up... unless one was 90 years old with many fused vertebrae, a stuffed animal, or a penguin!

All three of those don't turn around and look backwards when backing, they back up using the left mirror instead, thereby putting small children in danger, and anyone in their rear-ward path that they can't see in the left .

Not to disagree, but as a 56 year old with Cervical disk issues(no fusion), many folks have range of motion issues.

When I was much younger I drove a lot of miles in a straight(no trailer) log truck. There was no rearview mirror as the headache rack rendered any useless. We drove many miles backwards, no way to turn around at the log landings. I used both mirrors, and the fish eyes.

When driving on roads that allow for passing, I always tried to watch where other traffic was, or if they turned off. The scariest thing was if you were in left lane going to the right, was there something that had been missed? Today I give all truckers, RVs, busses a very wide berth.

Good technique shown, add fish eyes if you can.

MRG

Regardless of how mirrors are adjusted would everyone please take the time to also turn your head and look before you turn.

I'm just getting back to where I can ride my motorcycle again after lumbar fusion and 3 years of therapy. I don't want to wind up as road pizza because someone didn't see me (because they didn't look). I already had 6 close calls in the past where I almost "bought the farm" because someone didn't check first. :mad:

If you can't look then don't change lanes. If I make a mistake while riding then shame on me but I shouldn't have to die because someone else is too lazy to check before turning. What if I was an 18 wheeler instead? Then it might be too bad for you. :eek:

The roads are shared with motorcycles, scooters, and bicycles. Let's give everyone a chance to enjoy their retirement and die of old age in their sleep.

Cheers

You can usually see your car with the mirrors adjusted "out" if you move your head close to the driver's window. That's good enough to aid backing, in addition to actually looking back.

Kind of creeps my mom out that I can still twist my neck to look over my shoulder, but it is becoming harder as I get less young.

IMHO, Fiddling with the rear view mirrors when traffic is moving at 70+ MPH is as distracting and dangerous as texting while driving.

IMHO, Fiddling with the rear view mirrors when traffic is moving at 70+ MPH is as distracting and dangerous as texting while driving.

I'm fairly sure no one is advocating that. Even if you had that inclination, moving your head to get a different angle of view in the mirror is much more effective.

Outty.

I can't figure out why anyone would want to waste their limited mirror space staring at the immobile side of their vehicle when they could be using it to see (and avoid hitting) other vehicles.

omni

The reflective stuff has drained out of my drivers side mirror, so I don't know what it is, but the passenger side is an outtie

I haven't been able to adjust the mirror satisfactory in my Tesla, so I followed the advice in the video. Plus I had a friend stand in my blinds spots while I adjusted them I hope it helps.

I drove my car today (not on the freeway but around town to run an errand) with the mirrors set up as an "outty" to avoid blind spots. I really like the set up (especially on passenger side) how when cars pass, as soon as the cars can't be seen on the rear view mirror they show up on the side mirrors.

But I don't know how comfortable the driver side will feel when I go on the freeway. I like to be able to keep track of cars on the left side from a distance having part of my car in view at a glance. Maybe with the new settings, constantly keeping track shouldn't be necessary..but that feels strange looking at the side mirror and not seeing my car. Old habits die hard.

A solution is within reach.
Buy a plastic 1/25 scale model of a car. Make it a snazzy convertible if you like. Glue a plastic person into the driver's seat for you, and glue a floozy blonde with her hair streaming out behind her into the passenger's seat. Duct tape the model car onto the door of your car, so you can see it in your mirror when its adjusted out.

Then, as you cruise down the freeway, you can see the other cars properly in your mirror, and you can see your car too, with you in it, and say "Damn! I look REALLY GOOD!"

After that, you launch an online business selling them, and sell off the business before it peaks for lottsa $$$. You could call it the "20-20 Hindsight Mirror Kit".

Outtie of course. Been that way since about 1965. While w*rking as a gas jockey part time, one of the mechanics showed me why to do it.

Don't see many nowadays, there used to be a segmented panoramic mirror that could be mounted in place of the regular rear view mirror. Gave great rear views, though it took a bit of getting used to.

My rear view mirror inside is always adjusted so I can only see the roofline of cars behind me. It does make me miss watching women putting on lipstick, chewing on their hair, and performing general primping at stop lights. No big loss, the really good lookers are at w*rk during my usual travel times.

By the way I thought this thread was about belly buttons until finally read it.

I'm a Convert

I had the chance to drive my car about 300 miles yesterday and overall the outty method feels a lot safer. I did get honked at once from a guy entering the freeway on my right side -- that was a combination I think of me going too slow and him going too fast, not a matter ability to see.

Of course, I still head check too as that never gets out of style :)

I learned to be an "outty" when I left High School and got a summer job driving a bakery truck. With no rear view mirror and no rear side windows to see through when you look over your shoulder you are totally reliant on your side mirrors, and I realized that my car mirrors needed to be set much wider to remove the blind spots.

I learned to be an "outty" when I left High School and got a summer job driving a bakery truck. With no rear view mirror and no rear side windows to see through when you look over your shoulder you are totally reliant on your side mirrors, and I realized that my car mirrors needed to be set much wider to remove the blind spots.

Great example, thank you!

MRG

For the outties :), when you back up do you readjust your side mirrors so you can see the end of your car?

I'm an outie, but do move them in when backing our trailer. It just seems to make it easier. I'm counting on my blind spot not being an issue at 1mph. :)

With some issues there are many adequate ways to do something, and individual preferences matter. However, with many other issues, there is a right way and a wrong way, and setting driving mirrors is one of those. They should always be set to minimize or remove any blind spots. Lives depend on this.

BTH, someone mentioned how awful visibility from modern sedans and coupes is. I second this. OTOH, BMWs have always had good visibility, and still do. Cars should have function first, styling within the bounds of serving that function next. Seeing around you is certainly a major function of a driving machine, and many American cars flunk miserably on this.

Ha

With some issues there are many adequate ways to do something, and individual preferences matter. However, with many other issues, there is a right way and a wrong way, and setting driving mirrors is one of those. They should always be set to minimize or remove any blind spots. Lives depend on this.

BTH, someone mentioned how awful visibility from modern sedans and coupes is. I second this. OTOH, BMWs have always had good visibility, and still do. Cars should have function first, styling within the bounds of serving that function next. Seeing around you is certainly a major function of a driving machine, and many American cars flunk miserably on this.

Ha

Not disagreeing with your broad assessment of certain manufacturing origins, but it is getting complicated.

Rollover protection and curtain airbags have added a lot of heft to pillars. The B and C pillars have always been a problem since they are in your "shoulder check" area. But the A pillars are getting crazy too, and these are right in your line of site.

And then there is the pedestrian impact requirements which have really beefed up the front ends. This is actually creating a blind spot of sorts directly in front of you (down low to be sure, but still there -- you can run over a child).

Trade offs in safety. Perhaps BMW is using higher quality, higher expense materials to accomplish the strength needed on the rollover/roof crush test.

Personally, I'm just cranky as to how small some of the mirrors are. I'll take 1/8 MPG off my gas estimates over small mirrors.

I now think a little blind spot mirror (such as the ones from Ford) should be a requirement on all passenger cars.

Remember the days when passenger side mirrors were considered a luxury? :facepalm:

Ha

I think you are right there is a right and wrong way and I never learned the right way, until I watched the video. My small Accura didn't have much of a blind spot, but the much bigger Tesla does. I got couple of well deserved honks as I was making lane changes cause my mirrors weren't set properly. Eventhough I generally also turn my head before making a lane change.

E-R.org it is not just for money advice. :D

Last edited:
I now think a little blind spot mirror (such as the ones from Ford) should be a requirement on all passenger cars.

Remember the days when passenger side mirrors were considered a luxury? :facepalm:
I just drove a small passenger "bus", not commercial, but rather a big Ford pickup with a 12 person passenger compartment on the back.

You have to use the side view mirrors since visibility out the back is poor.

What do you know? Both large side view mirrors also had the blind-spot convex mirror on them. Very nice. It is changing my mind about them. I think they can be very useful.

Back
Top Bottom