Mnemonics you learned in grade school

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Though it would be interesting to share some of the mnemonics you learned in grade school and still remember. Things like "ROY G BIV" being the colors in the spectrum.

Last edited:
I still use mnemonics to remember people's names, but sometimes they the mnemonic is off-color, and I'm always afraid I'll use the mnemonic instead of the actual name!:blush:

Great Lakes: HOMES (Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, Superior)
Wow! That came back after 55 years of dormancy in an instant!

My Dear Aunt Sally (math order rule: multiply, divide, add, subtract)

Last edited:
The first one I learned was the lines on the staff for musical notation.
Treble clef: EGBDF (Every good boy does fine)
Bass clef: FACE

"My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas" (Planets--I guess it's been modified now since Pluto got booted out)

"On Old Olympus's Towering Top, A Finn and German Viewed a Hop" (the twelve cranial nerves--in Junior High)

Last edited:
SOHCAHTOA - to remember the formulas for computing the sine, cosine, and tangent of an angle.

This should speed up this thread:
Mnemonics
stalactites stick tight to the ceiling
stalagmites have to be mighty to stand up

Though it would be interesting to share some of the mnemonics you learned in grade school and still remember. Things like "ROY G BIV" being the colors in the spectrum.

I went to Catholic schools and don't remember learning any mnemonics. Maybe the ruler Sister casually slapped against her palm while rattling her rosary was all we needed to prompt our memories.

From AP Bio:
King Phillip Called Out For Ginger Snaps
for the ways of classifying organisms in the animal kingdom
Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Family
Genus
Species

I was a terrible speller.

a rat in tom's house might eat tom's ice cream.

george eats old gray rats and paints houses yellow.

I don't think this classifies as a mnemonic, but "8 x 8 is 64, close your mouth and say no more".

It's easier en francais:

"Mites montent et tites tombent"

SOHCAHTOA - to remember the formulas for computing the sine, cosine, and tangent of an angle.

Sin = Oscar Had
Cos = A Heap
Tan = Of Apples

which we modified as:

Sin = Otto Had
Cos = A Hell
Tan = Of Alot

:whistle:

This should speed up this thread:
Mnemonics

or stalagmites might eventually reach the ceiling...

stalaCtites = Ceiling
stalaGmites = Ground

A lot of the ones I remember best, like some limmericks, aren't fit for repeating here. :blush:

Tyro

I used mnemonics to remember a system of moves to solve the Rubik's Cube,
Although i havent done the cube in 15 years it would only take about 5 minutes of study for the equations to come back.

I remember using many mnemonics, including for the Krebs cycle, but I forgot them :) also for hormones, both in English and in my native tongue , also forgot them. Feeling old suddenly :)

Last edited:
'I' before 'e' except after 'c' or when sounded as 'a' as in neighbor or weigh.

Thirty days hath September, April, June and November. All the rest have thirty-one except February which has twenty-eight, (twenty-nine in leap-years). [I found when I worked in Canada that some Canadian kids had never heard this one.]

Twinkle, twinkle, little star, power equals 'i'-squared 'r'. [I knew someone who really blew it with "Twinkle, twinkle, star in the sky, power equals 'r'-squared 'i'. :LOL: I laugh--it could have been me.]

When I began playing in Scrabble tourneys in the mid-1990s, I created some mnemonics to help remember some of the more obscure 3-letter words (there are about 1,000 of them acceptable in adult tourneys). There were a few of them out there already for this purpose.

While not a mnemonic, I remember singing "My dog has fleas" a certain way when tuning a ukelele.

(mod edit)

Last edited by a moderator:
Aviation is full of these (because there are a lot of rote procedures and because pilots are lazy)

True Virgins Make Dull Companions=
True
+ Variation [magnetic variation, as shown on charts, the difference between "true north " and "magnetic north") = Magnetic
. Magnetic
+ Deviation [a correction for individual instrument error in an installed compass] = Compass [what the compass actually reads]

"East is least, West is best": helps you remember to subtract easterly variation, add westerly variation​

Back
Top Bottom