Monitor for photo editing

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Looking for a good monitor for photo editing, size and cost really aren't an issue, any suggestions ? Appreciate any and all responses. I'm using a mac mini as my computer platform.

Looking for a good monitor for photo editing, size and cost really aren't an issue, any suggestions ? Appreciate any and all responses. I'm using a mac mini as my computer platform.

How about switching to the new iMac with the high res 14 Megapixel 27" display? That's what we switched to when it became available. You can see a photo and description I posted of our setup a couple of months ago in the photography equipment thread.

Here is that post. http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/photographers-corner-equipment-69337-21.html#post1553407

Here is the "display". It's a monitor that just happens to have a built in Mac.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I would save the money that you would spend on the monitor and just upgrade from your iPad mini to a 27" iMac.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I almost bought the NEC 30" wide gamut monitor (the one that covers most of Adobe RGB) but now I'd probably get the retina imac. When you consider the value of the screen, the rest of the imac is basically free.

Yes, I have a Mac mini not an iPad mini. I use Apple products when I help my son in his office and really like the clarity of photos on the iMac, which is an all in one machine.
I have been reading reviews and am considering an Apple 27" monitor.
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Thunder...&sr=8-1&keywords=apple+thunderbolt+display+27

Although cost isn't a major consideration the Apple 27" does seem a bit expensive as compared to other hi-resolution monitors.

Just curious as to what others here might be using.

Last edited:
Yes, I have a Mac mini not an iPad mini. I use Apple products when I help my son in his office and really like the clarity of photos on the iMac, which is an all in one machine.
I have been reading reviews and am considering an Apple 27" monitor.
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Thunder...&sr=8-1&keywords=apple+thunderbolt+display+27

Although cost isn't a major consideration the Apple 27" does seem a bit expensive as compared to other hi-resolution monitors.

Just curious as to what others here might be using.
The Thunderbolt Display has half the resolution of the iMac high res (5K) display. That (2560 pixels across) is not a high res monitor. You get twice those pixels across in a high res monitor.

We prefer high res displays for editing our images, and with the new 5K iMac you can see most if not all of your photo at 100% resolution as well as "big".

Last edited:
And if you want to go totally crazy, get the iMac, Lightroom, and a second monitor. Lightroom allows usage from 2 monitors, one with the controls, another totally dedicated to the image.

Probably just as important as the monitor is having a display calibrator:

Calibration | B&H Photo Video

They run $100 - $200.

Yes, calibration is crucial. It took me a while to get my head wrapped around the "what, whyfors and how" but it makes a huge difference.

If you're going to print your own photos you'll want your printer calibrated as well. I use a Colormunki Photo for that as well as screen calibration. I gave my sister a Colormunki Smile for her birthday. It does screen calibration only. The reviews said there was little difference between results obtained with that and calibration tools costing north of $2k so evidently there are diminishing returns for more money. She's about as non-technical as a person can get and she found it easy to use.

The display I use is a Dell U2410, no longer made. It is an IPS display that covers 98% of the Adobe RGB color gamut - I'm very happy with it for the $500 I spent on it.

Back
Top Bottom