More 15% ethanol gasoline on the way

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I read this with a bit of wonder. In my area the 15% ethanol fuel is very rare. I can't remember the last time I filled up at a pump that offered. I suppose the corn farmer in Iowa are happy.

FWIW, Toyota expressly forbids the use of this fuel in my car.

Dumb decision that reeks of pandering to the farm belt.

Helps sell fertlizer to grow more corn. Source of most of fertilizer?

Sheets gas stations in my area sell it. It’s quite a bit less expensive than 87 octane. It is marked as 88 octane. I don’t know anyone that uses it. As said above, my Toyota car’s operating manual specifically says “No”.

Tsk! Tsk! Is99. Why do you ask such disruptive questions?

Keep this up and I will add you to my list of Dangerous Radicals Who Infest This Site. :D

FWIW, Russia is a major source of global fertilizer production. From the WSJ.

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/ru...nding-fertilizer-exports-8gJNAaRR7PBi6HvV4T3o

Emphasis added.....

Russia was responsible for 18% of the potash market in 2017, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. Among other fertilizers, it also accounted for 20% of ammonia exports and 15% of Urea, according to Scotiabank.

The USA and Canada have plenty of natural gas to make fertilizer components. But, do we want to do that just to power ICE vehicles? I am not so sure that is a good idea.

The price of fertilizers has already soared over the past year. For instance, the price for anhydrous ammonia, a key fertilizer used for corn, hit a record high last month of $1,492 per ton.

Last edited:
My diesels seem to be unaffected by this new fuel. i can haul cans of it in the truck bed without a problem.

My diesels seem to be unaffected by this new fuel. i can haul cans of it in the truck bed without a problem.

The last time I checked diesels don't run on gasoline. :) I hope you won't try a few gallons of E15 to see if it works.

FWIW, diesel in my area is now nearly $1 a gallon more than Regular. The diesel owners are already paying a stiff price. Diesel has about 20% more energy in a gallon than regular, so that will help to offset the price increase. But, until this year diesel and regular were pretty equally priced. Again in my area.

Further south is is close to the same. I paid a recent low of 4.85 cash in Thorpe outside of Ellensburg, on a big road trip this weekend. Luckily my diesel commuter averages mid 40's no matter how hard I push it.

Disclaimer here. I live on a farm and own farmland which raises corn. I am probably the only person on this forum who walked on a cornfield today. We'll be planting in a week or so.

That said, I don't support increasing ethanol production. Many of my neighbors wouldn't like to hear that.

Corn is already $7 a bushel, record territory. The ag economy is on the verge of overheating like it has done many times over history. Input costs are being driven up by competition as well as fertilizer expenses. With corn at $7 the demand for fertilizer is extremely high. The large farmers will expand and squeeze out smaller producers. Demand for farmland is insane, these high prices are intoxicating for both farmers and land owners.

Crop insurance makes in nearly impossible to have a financial loss since you can lock in yield and price guarantees. I'm not against ethanol but this is probably the craziest time I can think of for increasing its use. Current corn prices are very profitable for farmers right now.

If corn isn't used for ethanol it is used to feed livestock such as beef, pork and poultry. Like it should be. Have you priced meat in the stores lately ? A lot has to do with the price of feed, along with increased transportation and processing costs.

This is a personal opinion, I'd rather see our country use fossil fuels in an efficient manner for power, and our crops as a food source. Focus on domestic fuel production to ease our dependence on foreign oil instead of taking a food source.

And I own a corn farm...

Last edited:

Tsk! Tsk! Is99. Why do you ask such disruptive questions?

Keep this up and I will add you to my list of Dangerous Radicals Who Infest This Site. :D

FWIW, Russia is a major source of global fertilizer production. From the WSJ.

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/ru...nding-fertilizer-exports-8gJNAaRR7PBi6HvV4T3o

Emphasis added.....

Silly me. I thought the source of most "fertilizer" was politicians :D

Just wait til they say food shortages were caused by producing more ethanol.

Idiots. I'll guess I need to look for additional sources for Rec90 for my boat. Meanwhile my Toyotas which I use daily will be more of a challenge. Or maybe just use high test for awhile. Easy for me since I don't drive much. Much more for the working class that supports me.

I think we already proved ethanol is both uneconomic and environmentally unsound to mix with gasoline. A very silly decision that pretends to be "doing something" about high gas prices.

I guess this is just a lot easier than approving pipelines (in the US I mean) issuing drilling and road construction permits and allowing new exploration and leasing on federal lands.

I think we already proved ethanol is both uneconomic and environmentally unsound to mix with gasoline. A very silly decision that pretends to be "doing something" about high gas prices.

I guess this is just a lot easier than approving pipelines (in the US I mean) issuing drilling and road construction permits and allowing new exploration and leasing on federal lands.

The whole action is just political posturing.

This is a personal opinion, I'd rather see our country use fossil fuels in an efficient manner for power, and our crops as a food source. Focus on domestic fuel production to ease our dependence on foreign oil instead of taking a food source.

I totally agree - corn is in everything and needs to be used for food consumption. As far as domestic oil production, the first step would be to stop US oil exports for purposes of foreign policy influence, the next step is to stop the "cartelization" between the oil producing countries (including the US) which results basically in quotas to keep prices high.

They could have done something back a few years when oil producers and suppliers were going bankrupt but nobody cared then.

I don't blame the suppliers now for being a bit gunshy for ramping up investing in increase oil production.

I won't be buying or using any of it.

Neither will I. Happily, a new gas station (Royal Farms) close by here opened a few months ago and in addition to selling "real" gasoline unadulterated by alcohol, they also sell pretty good fried chicken. I fully intend to be buying most of my gasoline there. And probably more fried chicken than is good for me.:)

As I recall, In The Beginning, ethanol was a replacement for MTBE, to boost octane. Then we had the "revelation" that more is better, except it isn't.

Most car manufacturers have accepted 10% ethanol as the standard, and have designed for that.

I always laugh when I see a car that says E85. You can't buy it easily, and why would you?

I've been told by people who live in an area where they can get 100% petroleum gasoline that they get better mileage with it. Whether the mileage is good enough to offset the increased price is another question.

We seem to be doing everything but the obvious.

Back
Top Bottom