More blogging

Gosh, you guys are a hifalutin bunch.  Fortunately, I have baser tastes.  If I'm not shaping my worldview from The Daily Show, I'm mining it from a self-proclaimed potty-mouthed slut.  That skank.

Between the two of them, they've taught me everything I know.

tozz said:
If I'm not shaping my worldview from The Daily Show, I'm mining it from a self-proclaimed potty-mouthed slut. That skank.

Between the two of them, they've taught me everything I know.

I watch the daily show as well, although that doesn't help me dismiss your accusation.... it seems as though Daily Show viewers are better educated, better informed, and make more money than viewers of any other news outlet, or newspaper readers. So whose the pretentious one now Mr 'I only watch the Daily Show'? ;)

[MOD EDIT: Removed extra character from link. -BMJ

"So whose the pretentious one now Mr 'I only watch the Daily Show'?"

Well, I only read The Economist.

yakers said:
"So whose the pretentious one now Mr 'I only watch the Daily Show'?"

Well, I only read The Economist.

The Economist - best source of news EVER.

If I could afford the steep price, I'd get a subscription. Economist.com will do for now. I got hooked when I had free access to the Economist in our law library at school. No one ever read the Economist, so it was always available. Nice non-biased, non-partisan reading on a sufficiently advanced intellectual level (yet not snobby). Like Newsweek, except it isn't targeted towards those with a 9th grade education and a 30 second attention span.

It is refreshing to read something not so americentric too.

justin said:
The Economist - best source of news EVER.
I only read it for the pictures articles.

I realized this week that we subscribe to seven weekly/monthly magazines and I routinely read another half-dozen "magazine" websites. I'm already spending 2-3 hours a day reading something and my book list has doubled in length since I began ER. As much value as I could pull out of blogs, I just don't think I can find the time. Something's gonna give...

Our local NPR station regularly has promotions that include a one year Economist subscription for contributions of $100 or more.  This week's issue had one of those flutter-away cards that offered gift subscriptions for $69/yr (I think) after the first full price subscription.  If anyone is interested, just PM me and I will dredge up the details.  As I recall, the gift subscriptions start after Christmas. 

justin said:
If I could afford the steep price, I'd get a subscription.  Economist.com will do for now. 

I suppose it was a cosmic inevitability that the forum which once witnessed a grim death match with senior citizens flashing IQ's at each other, would finally balance out with others diving for the bottom like dumster-divers on crack.

I flip through the National Equirer in supermarket lines.  And I'm not embarrassed.

Marshac said:
I watch the daily show as well, although that doesn't help me dismiss your accusation....

Nords said:
I realized this week that we subscribe to seven weekly/monthly magazines and I routinely read another half-dozen "magazine" websites.  I'm already spending 2-3 hours a day reading something and my book list has doubled in length since I began ER.  As much value as I could pull out of blogs, I just don't think I can find the time.  Something's gonna give...

Although i'm still working, I read a lot- and i'm not talking about novels. I probably spend 4-5 hours per day reading, learning about new things, and keeping up on current events. This past week I posed a question to myself- could I possibly be addicted to information? While I don't suffer any withdrawals when information isn't readily available, I will often spend additional time updating myself upon returning home. I rarely watch TV (maybe 2 hours per week), and when I do, it's one of several stations- history channel, TLC, discovery channel ('going tribal' is an excellent show), or 'good eats' on Food Network....

Is anyone else in the same boat as I? Hopefully? ::)

Marshac,

I share your sentiments re: wanting new information. I can't stand to watch the local news at 10:00, 10:30, and 11:00 with my wife. I figure I can get the same content in 5 minutes of surfing. Nothing exciting happens anyway that I haven't already heard about. I like the "information" channels you listed. I find myself reading almost exclusively from the "non-fiction" side of the library. However, I do like entertainment. I like some other shows too: Survivor (game theory, strategic scheming), Lost, Amazing Race (new, exciting destinations), Desperate Housewives (social commentary), etc.

The Zippers have subscribed to Newsweek for 35 years.

If they run one more religious-nut cover, we're gone.

The worst has to be US News & World Report, followed by Time.

The Economist keeps a pretty good separation of church and state.

Zipper said:
The Zippers have subscribed to Newsweek for 35 years.

If they run one more religious-nut cover, we're gone.

The worst has to be US News & World Report, followed by Time.

The Economist keeps a pretty good separation of church and state.

Subscribe to Newsweek. Even as a religious nut, I too have found the frequency of faith oriented covers a little disturbing. I see the media as the 4th branch of government, I'd like them to stay objective, which almost none have as of late. I have always enjoyed the economist. I always buy a WSJ when I fly for business, for spice.

Time, newsweek, and US News and World Reports. Trying to rank those from worse to worst is like figuring out which moldy glob from the back of your fridge is the least rotten. I'd rather guess at what is going on in the world than read those rags.

I do read Conde Nast Traveler magazine. Pretty pictures and it's inspirational. Too many adverts though.

Still using paper. Subscribe to WSJ, Business Week, Economist, and a bunch of useless motorhoming rags.

Christian Science Monitor, New Yorker, WSJ, Fortune, LLBean, Lands End, Musciansfriend, WeatherChannel, News Hour on PBS, NPR, and Google News.

Love WSJ - don't pander to 6th grade education
Economist - phenomenal - and if you notice, authors aren't listed, so keeps preening to a minimum
Christian Science Monitor
Budget Travel
Interweave Knits

And if we are talking catalogs

Lands End
Title 9
High Country Gardens (thanks TH!)

Bridget

deserat said:
Love WSJ - don't pander to 6th grade education
Economist - phenomenal - and if you notice, authors aren't listed, so keeps preening to a minimum
Christian Science Monitor
Budget Travel
Interweave Knits

And if we are talking catalogs

Lands End
Title 9
High Country Gardens (thanks TH!)

Bridget

Victoria's Secret
Soldier of Fortune
Handgun Digest

:)