Most Annoying Commercial

Idnar7

Recycles dryer sheets
Don't know if this has been covered before - but what is the most annoying commercial to you. Without a doubt to me it is anything by Liberty Mutual In. Seemingly an ad on every break. Across all media they have almost 500 per day. I wouldn't buy their product if it was free. Rant over

On the other side of the coin I think that Geicos adverts are boss.

It's pretty bad but it's all the ^%$&*# Medicare Advantage commercials that irritate the devil out of me, especially at this time of the year... What a racket! They actually try to make people think that care about your health and how great they are. Bunch of crooks....

Last edited:
So just after I wrote my comment I decided to look as a film on You Tube. What did I see. A dumb Liberty advert. The one where that guy asks who sat at my desk. Isn’t that some timing?

It's pretty bad but it's all the ^%$&*# Medicare Advantage commercials that irritate the devil out of me, especially at this time of the year... What a racket! They actually try to make people think that care about your health and how great they are. Bunch of crooks....

I Agree!!!!!

Very great choice Car Guy.

They are all annoying. Between Hulu Plus, YouTube Premium and Netflix we avoid them for the most part. On the rare occasions we are exposed to broadcasts containing ads, I can't believe we used to sit through them and that people still do so. I put them in the same category as commuting.

I hate it when in a 15 minute film on You Tube there can be up to two adverts. Getting to be where the adverts take as much time to look as the short films.

I remember when You Tube did not have adverts.

Dating myself here, but when cable was first coming out I think one of their selling points was no commercials. Now cable is worse than broadcast TV.

Don't care for liberty mutual ads except for the one with the emu family at Doug's barbecue. "Hot dog or chicken" and Mrs. Emu just looks at Doug through eyeglasses out of a Gary Larson cartoon.

All are annoying and I take measures to mute them all.

But the ones that stick in my mind are the reverse mortgage ones pushed by celebs and sports figures (I'm looking at YOU, Joe Namath!):LOL:

Joe Namath's Medicare Advantage commercials are most annoying. That's the ones with the blue background that are hammered every night at supper time.

Around here, it’s all the personal injury lawyer commercials. They’re on all the time.

I agree, way to many Medicare Advantage commercials. Clearly their rates need to be renegotiated, so they aren't wasting our money paying for TV commercials.

While I find all of the above-cited ads unpleasant, I can tune them out (also we don't watch that much TV any more).

Here is a related peeve: Forcefully cheery notifications that your online order is on its way. It is never "Your order has shipped." Exclamation points are always required!

I find it cloying.

A few recent examples:

From a wine seller (one of several over-the-top emails about the same order): "Hooray! Your wine is on its way! There's nothing more fun than getting wine in the mail!"

From Sam's club: "Your order's on its way! We thought you'd be excited." It almost sounds disappointed that we have not yet broken into song and dance over the impending arrival of our napkins and Quaker oats.

From Walmart.com: "Great news, Amethyst! Your order is set to arrive on...[date]"

Last edited:
All commercials for prescription drugs. So you’re supposed to tell your doctor you want X drug because you saw a commercial? Right. And the part where they say “tell your doctor if you have XYZ” and the diseases they list are things like, HIV and Hepatitis B, as if your doctor isn’t treating and monitoring those life threatening infections.

I think the Geico commercials are creative and often funny. And the LM emu is pretty badass on the treadmill.

Radio commercials: hands down, the Kars for Kids commercials are the absolute worst.

The Liberty Mutual commercials, which are non stop. Medicare Advantage in 2nd place.

+1 for everything above. It seems like the last 2 years these commercials have been getting longer and more frequent. Liberty Mutual, Medicare supplement commercials, drug commercials, Joe Namath, Jimmy JJ Walker, Tom Selleck, local ambulance chasers, and Doc Tony (local chiropractor) are constantly broadcast and frequently multiple times in a half hour. Fortunately there are very few times we bother with broadcast TV and mainly use Netflix, Hulu, PBS, etc. streaming.

Cheers!

What are all these commercials you speak of? I think those are the things I see in the superbowl but that is only once a year...

I only watch free over-the-air TV and that often involves second- or third-tier programming (i.e. nothing but oldies).

The commercials I despise the most are for Lume Deodorant (they are rather offensive, in my opinion) and anything from the myPillow guy (no additional comment). Each evening on my usual channels, I see these commercials multiple, multiple times.

Anything with serious cognitive dissonance and/or mind-numbing repetition - Relief Factor supplements get my current vote. The product packaging clearly states “For relief of MINOR aches and pains” (emphasis added) while testimonials declare relief from life altering pain; “I could barely live and now I’m brand new again”.

Other candidates include anything claiming “studies show” but offers no reference. I wish there was some sort of best practice guideline that required any claim based on a study to offer the name of the actual study so you could look it up.

Actually, the “studies show” peeve extends to anywhere I see this without naming the source - which, frankly, is everywhere.

The Medicare advantage stuff bugs as well - seniors declaring “I called to get all the benefits I deserve” makes seniors look gullible and dim IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom