Multicookers

I'm Gonna Need Another Lid

I tried the slow cook setting on a whole duck last night with my new pressure cooker. Not knowing what to compare against, I cooked like I usually do with a crockpot. Mainly, but the bird it and let it cook and keep all the juices as stock for soup.

So, I put the pressure cooker on steam (vent setting if you have an Instant Pot) not pressure just like the instruction said. During the slow cook process, the cooker would automatically do some steam releasing, then cook some more.

When time was up, the duck turned out cooked similar to like what I'm used to with the crockpot. Except .... :(, pretty much all the juice got released as steam. About 90% of any liquid left was duck fat.

Guess the lid that came with pressure cooker really isn't for slow cooking. I went ahead and ordered a standard type lid with a tiny vent hole so I can slow cook more like a normal slow cooker. Trial and error.

Several black Fridays ago, JC Penney had a little 2 quart electric pressure cooker marked down to $10. They called it a Fast Pot Jr, but it's a simple pressure cooker with only a knob timer. I've seen online a Dash and a Bella brand that look identical. Seems to be discontinued now, but at $8.95 to $10 at the time I bought 3 extra ones.
I make rice in it using the pot in a pot method. I find it's easier clean up than several rice cookers I've tried. We like the way frozen vegetables come out in it. I make cabbage in it. For travel It's a good cooking method in a motel room. Makes a great beef stew just right for 2.
Wife has a 6 qt Cuisinart that we make a lot of things in. I like to use a cast iron skillet for browning.
We use dedicated Crock Pots for slow cooking. I like that they have low energy heating elements, as opposed to a multi-cooker that may throttle a 1000 watt heating element on and off to slow cook.

I made a beef stew with new multicooker yesterday. Turned out pretty good. glad the cooker has a saute function.

The cooker is keeper :).

Yes, the IP needs the glass, vented lid for slow cooking.
I just made a nice pot of bean soup with ham hock in the IP on slow cook yesterday.
Delish!

Back
Top Bottom