Multicookers

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Rather than hijacking the Cheapwad Finds thread, thought I'd start a new thread on multicookers. By multicookers I include instant pot types as well as rice cookers (maybe other types I left out too).

As discussed on the Cheapwad Find thread, I was lucky and found a multicooker that does about 7 things as well as has an airfryer lid included for only about $25 at an Aldi. Only thing is the size is 6 Qts which is a bit big for just me (unless I use for like making a whole duck, which I just did).

My current situation as well as cookers is I have (all manual, old fashioned except this new $25 bargain) a 1.5, 3.5 and 7 qt slow cooker as well as a simple rice cooker (with steamer on top tray).

You think that's too many? :LOL: I like the simplicity of the old fashioned manuals but the stone insert gets difficult to clean. So, I'm in the market for a smaller than 6 qt multicooker that's easy to clean, probably stainless steel insert.

What do you use as cookers? Old fashioned types? Or more modern like an Instant Pot? If so, just one or more than one?

I like my 8QT Instant Pot Duo Crisp. It's done a great job as a pressure cooker, sous vide function has worked surprisingly well, it's my preferred way to make rice (bowl in bowl), "boiling" eggs (9 min low pressure) and I've made one cheesecake that turned out great. I bought a separate air fryer so don't use that function much but do use it for ribs, I can pressure cook from <0º (cut to fit before freezing) and then air fry in the same vessel to crisp them up/set the sauce and have them on the table in an hour.

I have a 6 qt instant pot and use it even if I'm just cooking for 1. Since I just put it in the dishwasher to clean, I'm not sure what the getting a smaller pot would get me.

I have a 6 qt instant pot and use it even if I'm just cooking for 1. Since I just put it in the dishwasher to clean, I'm not sure what the getting a smaller pot would get me.

My primary use initially would be as a slow cooker. I do like that the multicookers usually have stainless steel inserts vs the hard to clean stone inserts of regular slow cookers. Otherwise, I'd just stick to old slow cooker or get a new slow cooker.

For me, I may for the meat in the dinner, just make one chicken leg quarter. A 6 qt pot would I think seem kind of large for just one chicken leg. Of course, I could make more than one and freeze and save, but I'd prefer to not make more than I need at one time.

One drawback I've read though about getting other sizes besides 6 qt is that most pressure cooking recipes are for the 6 qt size. So, with other sizes, some adjusting is usually needed.

I bought a 6 Qt nova Plus Instant Pot a few years ago. Love it!

I got rid of my slow cooker, rice cooker and veggie steamer as I can use this instead. Gave me more room in my cabinets. :)

I adjust recipes down for just the two of us, depending on what I am making--sometimes, having leftovers to freeze for later works just fine!
Love the ability to pressure cook frozen meats in recipes

Last edited:
Our Instant Pot only gets used for hard boiled eggs. The air fryer, on the other hand, gets used daily for one or two meals.

Instant pot for oatmeal, rice, slow cooker stuff, sous vide, and air fryer, toaster oven for most everything else.

I pretty much just use the Instant Pot for the pressure cooker function with the sauté capability beforehand, which is what you traditionally got with a stovetop pressure cooker.

But that pressure cooker capability itself is marvelously versatile! We use it a lot.

Plus I love not heating up the kitchen!

We tend to cook enough for several meals and if there is really a lot freeze some of it.

Last edited:
I need to know what everyone is cooking with the air fryer.
I have an instant pot that has the lid for pressure cooker and one to air fry.
I’m not really impressed with either function.
So far the air fryer is great for reheating French fries.
I’ve done hard boiled eggs and oatmeal in the pressure cooker but honestly my rice cooker was easier to use. I used my rice cooker for everything except oddly enough cooking rice. I’m not keen on rice.
I threw out my slow cooker and just cook my former meals in disposable aluminum pans in the oven.
I’m currently trying to get a 220 outlet installed so that I can get an induction/ convection range.

I’m really trying to cook at home more and I’m interested in hearing what others use the instant pot for because I’m clearly missing the point.

If you like your Instant pot, they have a 3 quart model and it has a stainless steel insert like the larger models.

I’m really trying to cook at home more and I’m interested in hearing what others use the instant pot for because I’m clearly missing the point.
The instant pot is brilliant at hearty stews as well as cuts of meat that need longer cooking times, especially with the bone in. I’ve easily adapted favorite stew/meat recipes to it.

Frequent household favorites are:

Beef Burgundy - the famous French stew
Lamb shanks
Oxtail Stew - I do the Andalusian version Rabo de Toro
Osso Buco - the Italian veal shank stew
Pot roast
Green chili pork stew
Okra and tomatoes
Collard greens
Corned beef and cabbage
Chicken or beef bone broths

Also excellent for cooking dried beans, no soaking required. Boiled eggs of course. Various stocks and bone broths. Vegetables that take a long time to cook like beets are easily steamed.

We rarely make soups but it would be perfect for that as well.

Last edited:
We often use a set of stacking pots inside the main 6qt pot.

ekovana Stackable Steamer Insert Pans with sling - compatible with 6qt Instant Pot - Pressure Cooker Accessories for Pot in Pot, Baking, Lasagna pan https://a.co/d/6SSnr5M

This allows us to cook two items at a time, like chicken in one and brown rice in the other. But most often, we use just one of the smaller pots alone, which fits into our dishwasher more easily than the main pot. The only trick is to be sure to add a cup or two of water to the big pot with the smaller pots on the trivet, so that you don’t get a “burn” signal.

This would work well for the OP when they are cooking smaller portions.

I've never had too many kitchen gadgets but I bought an Instant Pot a few years ago am surprised how much I use it - it's very versatile. I can't remember the last time I've used my oven for anything.

Santa is bringing me a 6 qt Instant Pot Duo Plus and I am really looking forward to trying it out. I’ve been watching youtube videos and trying to figure out what I should make first! If anyone has any YouTubers that they particularly like, I’d love to receive your recommendations.

My sister helped me decide which to ask Santa for… she has a 6 qt and loved it so much, that she bought a 3 qt too. Often the main dish is in the big one, and she makes a side dish in the little one.

I cook: (either pressure cook or slow cook)
Beans/lentils
Soups/Chili/spaghetti sauce
Pot roast/veggies/gravy
Noodle dishes
Whole chickens/ then make good broth with the bones
Rice

Have not made yogurt yet, nor hard boiled eggs.
Very Versatile cooking machine!
I bought an insta pot recipe book, but almost anything can be looked up on the internet.

You think that's too many? What do you use as cookers? Old fashioned types? Or more modern like an Instant Pot? If so, just one or more than one?

OMG... how much time you got:confused:? We use everything from cast iron dutch ovens over open fire, to Instapots. Dutch Ovens ... have 11 of then from 6 to 16 inch. Got a charcoal sportsman grill that gets used at least once a week. Even still have and use my Great Grandmothers pressure cooker for canning. For more modern stuff, 2 instapots 3 and 8 qt, an air frier, a countertop toaster oven with rotisserie and air fry, at least 5 different slow cookers, 2 different electric smokers, and add a Blackstone griddle into the mix.
Our daughter got a Ninja Foodie and loves it... She gave us her old 8qt IP, airfrier and 2 slowcookers.. like we needed them.. but never argue with the Boss about kitchen gadgets.

The problem with "multi" anything is that can do it, but something made for a specific job is better in the long run.

"So, I'm in the market for a smaller than 6 qt multicooker that's easy to clean, probably stainless steel insert."

Our 1st instapot was a 3 qt with a SS pot, steamer basket, a stack of pans to separately cook items a slow cooker lid and we used it several times a week for years, when it finally died ordered another the next day.
For the slowcookers, have you ever seen the liners... makes cleanup a breeze.

I have an instant pot that has the lid for pressure cooker and one to air fry.

For us the air fryer is just used to rewarm stuff. The instapot is used several times a week. Yesterdays example.... DW wanted a potato soup for dinner.
Turn on to Sautee, some olive oil, shallotte's, onion, garlic, bacon bits and some spices. Made the place smell so good...
Pressure cook, took 3 different type potatoes peeled and diced, some water mixed in for 7 minutes. Keep warm till the pressure dropped.
Slowcook... Pull 1/3 out, add some butter, heavy cream and milk, emersion blend to smooth and put the 1/3 back. Add some bacon bits and green onion to blend in flavor. taste test and add spices to perfection.
When the Boss got home a few hours later, scoop out into a bowl, sprinkle with bacon, green onion and shredded cheese, served with a side salad.

Clean up... the pot insert, 1 knife, cutting board, emersion blender and a spoon and ladle.

By the way, once I used my instant pot for a while, I got rid of my slow cooker. I don’t do slow crockpot cooking anymore. The instant pot does better in much less time.

Santa is bringing me a 6 qt Instant Pot Duo Plus and I am really looking forward to trying it out. I’ve been watching youtube videos and trying to figure out what I should make first! If anyone has any YouTubers that they particularly like, I’d love to receive your recommendations.

My sister helped me decide which to ask Santa for… she has a 6 qt and loved it so much, that she bought a 3 qt too. Often the main dish is in the big one, and she makes a side dish in the little one.

I've been looking at a lot of you tube videos lately about Instant Pot and multicookers.

One person who I've been viewing videos of is a person named Lisa Childs. She has a whole channel called "Tried Tested and True" on the Instant Pot with so much helpful information. Another person is a person from a youtube channel called "Six Sisters Stuff".

We have a microwave and a toaster oven. That's it over and above our gas range.

I've been looking at a lot of you tube videos lately about Instant Pot and multicookers.

One person who I've been viewing videos of is a person named Lisa Childs. She has a whole channel called "Tried Tested and True" on the Instant Pot with so much helpful information. Another person is a person from a youtube channel called "Six Sisters Stuff".

I have used many Instant Pot recipes from dadcooksdinner.com. Generally very reliable and tasty.

We just got a Ninja Foodie pressure cooker air fryer a couple of weeks ago. So far we’ve made hard boiled eggs (perfect every time), chicken wings, chicken tenders, Mac and cheese, a giant chocolate chip cookie, and a couple of other things. We want to try some one-pot meals that they give recipes for. My wife was in the hospital for a week so we haven’t gotten to play with it that much yet. So far we’re really liking it though.

DW makes close to half our meals in one of her instant pots. Not mentioned so far, I think, she routinely makes yogurt too.

I don't really use many recipes...just look up cooking times for some things. What I use my Instant Pot for in order of frequency:

Making Stock and Soups from Rotisserie Chicken Carcasses (cheaper than raw chicken)
"Boiling Eggs"
Ribs (pressure from frozen (sized to fit), then airfryer lid to crisp/char)
Sous Vide (Surprised and impressed how even heats with no forced circulation)

Rice (using bowl in bowl technique -don't even need to clean the IP)
Dry Beans

I use it for occasional other things as well. I bought a stand alone air fryer/oven I use pretty regularly for veggies (asparagus, snap beans, broccoli, etc) and it's a better form factor and easier to clean. The air fryer lid of my Duo Crisp worked pretty well but used much less (except for when finishing something PC first)

I did some investigating. The $25 cooker I got is the exact model as a Thomson model TFPC607 that sells on Amazon for about $97. Only difference is the one I have has the Aldi AMBIANO label instead of THOMSON. I've been using it over the past week. A couple things I noticed is it that the slow cooker only cooks in one temperature (no high/low settings) and there is no saute function.

Back
Top Bottom