Music of Louisiana

I was looking at music and found this and thought this was pretty cool. May not be LA but it's still pretty darn special. Perfect blend of soprano, tenor and alto. And from 3 sisters.

YouTube - Gaither (Church in the wildwood) - The Peasall sisters

And this one is pure LA.
YouTube - The Neville Brothers - Brother John/ Iko Iko

I love the Peasall sisters.

We seem to have drifted out of Louisiana, but on the subject of sister groups, how about the Quebe Sisters? Fiddlers, they are.
YouTube - Quebe Sisters Band "Fiddle Medley"

This thread has reminded me of quite a few years ago when I was invited to a Louise Mandrell concert that was entertainment for a "convention" that I was not exactly attending. Went anyway. The full stage was setup with all the instruments -- maybe a dozen or so different instruments. Ms. Mandrell appeared and opened the show herself, alone, explaining that this organization's budget would not cover the full band, and was called a "fly date" in which the lead flew in to the host city and performed alone, but also that every instrument on the stage would be used in the show. For the next two hours she proceeded to work her way around the stage and play every single instrument there. I guess I was at least a little impressed. A real musician.

I watched an indie film on Hulu last night. It was In the Electric Mist starring Tommy Lee Jones, a crime drama filmed in the bayou. At the end of the movie, there was this song "La Terre Tremblante", with lyrics by Dirk Powell, an Appalachian musician.

La Terre Tremblante / The Quick Sand

Les pêcheurs mettent leurs lignes comme des araignées / The fishermen set their lines like spiders
Piégeurs, voleurs des âmes / Trappers, stealers of souls
Les attrapes sont mises pour les innocents / The traps are set for the innocent
Gambleurs, éviteurs des blâmes / Gamblers, shirkers of blame

Descends / Descend
Allons / Come on
Descends / Descend
Dans l'eau saumâtre / Into the brackish water

On the Web, a listener to the song noted that "since in french, there's no difference in the pronounciation of "pêcheurs" (fishermen) and 'pécheurs" (sinners) ... the lyrics use the image of the first ones to speak of the second ones."

The rest of the lyrics can be found on the song writer's Web site here.

YouTube - La Terre tremblante (In The Electric mist)

Don't miss the fantastic slide show on this one. It's guaranteed to bring tears to the eyes of anyone who is homesick for New Orleans and shows much of what I love about this place.

Sorry that embedding is disabled, but it's worth it to watch on youtube, for the slide show.

YouTube - New Orleans Ladies

Last edited:
Don't miss the fantastic slide show on this one. It's guaranteed to bring tears to the eyes of anyone who is homesick for New Orleans and shows much of what I love about this place.

Beautiful. You are a New Orleans lady.

Back
Top Bottom