Name your favorite obscure cable show

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
We have hundreds of cable offerings to choose from but only choose to view a small percentage of them. On occasion I take time to flip around and try to peek at as many as I am able to and am amazed at all of the variety of crap that is on cable TV.

One show that I have found pretty interesting is Biz Brew with Scully and Russ T Nails . I DVR it on occasion and often enjoy the business/bar connection that it favors. It's not an every-day show for me; maybe a monthly viewing with fast-forward mode in hand

» Sully’s Biz Brew

What's your obscure cable show of choice?

Not sure how obscure these are but I like Ice Road Truckers and America Pickers, when they are new. (or if I haven't seen them) Also will watch some of the "How it's Made" series.

Last edited:
Beyond the Grid. They follow folks who are off the grid. Like way off. Some of these folks would have been called homeless! There's a couple in Idaho living in a tree house, maybe 200 Sq. Ft. Another guy who lives in the caves in the Ozarks. Another fellow who appears to be semi-nomadic, he and his horses and a teepee. Talk about LBYM.

I got hooked on Curse of Oak Island on The History Channel.
About The Curse of Oak Island - HISTORY.com

Every time I watch it I feel like I got suckered into another level of a long involved story that will lead to a punchline at the end of "After all that, there never was any treasure..."

I like the dynamic of the two brothers, I like the "scientific evidence" that gets tossed around, the determined feeling of hope of all the participants and the level of skepticism that they maintain.

DH will ask me, "So what happened this week" and the answer is always, "Nothing happened, they still haven't found anything."

How The Universe Works on the Science channel is an excellent series. Very educational, they did a good job picking scientist who can communicate complicated ideas to normal folks.

If I can't sleep at night, my go-to programming is either Asian or European stock market coverage on Bloomberg.

I love the variety of accents on the Asian coverage in particular.

My favorite is always a true crime show on Investigation Discovery. Right now it is Unusual Suspects. But the new shows don't compare to the oldies - Cold Case Files, The FBI Files, The New Detectives. I miss those old shows.

A friend of mine used to watch anything about horses on Farm and Ranch Network but her local cable company no longer carries the network.

Last edited:
No longer on, but I miss "Hotel Babylon" via BBC. Great show.

Now I'm hooked on "Boonies" (people living off the grid)

Late at night, I find myself watching the re-runs of The First 48, all 15 seasons of them. I feel like I am getting to personally know the detectives, some of who probably live a few miles from me :D. It beats watching the news.

I also record the crazy auto shows like "What's Your Car Worth", "Bithcin' Rides", "Chasing Classic Cars", etc, I also record the live auto auctions to see what the classic and muscle cars are fetching these days.

No longer on, but I miss "Hotel Babylon" via BBC. Great show.

Now I'm hooked on "Boonies" (people living off the grid)

Thanks that's the show I was trying to mention it's "Boonies", not off the grid. Too many of the same type show.

There was another one we watched similar show different people.

My favorite show ever is pretty obscure, although it was on a major network back when I had cable TV. Does that count?

It was "Joan of Arcadia", the story of a teenaged girl who could talk to God and the dead and tried to help resolve problems in various ways to provide a better outcome and often so that the dead could be at peace as well. I guess it wasn't very popular because it was cancelled after a brief run. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to see that show without paying and I refuse to pay for TV any more, even for my favorite show.

I loved the spiritual questions that were brought up by the show. Being an agnostic at present, I am always seeking deeper understanding of spiritual matters with hopes to resolve these issues in one way or another.

I decided to drop cable TV in favor of an OTA antenna. I seldom watch TV at all any more, other than "The Voice" and local news.

Last edited:
I like the show on the Pickers, Alaska Bush People and Street Outlaws. I'm easily entertained:LOL:

"Naked and Afraid".

Two strangers are dumped out in inhospitable places with no clothes, shoes, food, or water( think they get a machete and 1 item). They are there for 21 days trying to survive. Many that do come back twenty pounds lighter.

I can't watch "pickers" or pawn stars" DH had a mitral valve repair in 2013 and he had control of the remote while he was in the hospital...one of these 2 shows was on from 6 am until at least 10 PM, it worked as aversion therapy for me.

I can cast a vote for first 48...it really draws you in and is much better the network shows featuring true crime stories.

I loved the first season of Alone, which is like the one MRG likes, but by themselves. Plus stunning scenery. My boss says the second season was quite good as well.

I like the sound of Joan of Arcadia. Wonder if it is on Netflix? I really liked John from Cincinnati, which was a bit like that, but definitely weirder. It was only one season, and I think I watched it on Amazon. The same folks who made Deadwood created it.

I loved the first season of Alone, which is like the one MRG likes, but by themselves. Plus stunning scenery. My boss says the second season was quite good as well.

I like the sound of Joan of Arcadia. Wonder if it is on Netflix? I really liked John from Cincinnati, which was a bit like that, but definitely weirder. It was only one season, and I think I watched it on Amazon. The same folks who made Deadwood created it.

I'll check out John from Cincinnati, thanks. The last time I checked, Joan of Arcadia wasn't available for free with a Netflix subscription or Amazon Prime. I should check youtube. I think it was only 1-2 seasons too.

My new favorite show is the Detectorists on Acorn. You have to pay $49 a year for Acorn, but it's well worth it. It's all British TV. This show is part comedy, part touching, and just very good. In some ways it reminds me of the quirkiness of Doc Martin, but more subtle and clever.

Has anyone else seen it? The theme song is hauntingly beautiful, too.

Oh, I see that the first season is on Netflix. There are two on Acorn.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
"Naked and Afraid".

Two strangers are dumped out in inhospitable places with no clothes, shoes, food, or water( think they get a machete and 1 item). They are there for 21 days trying to survive. Many that do come back twenty pounds lighter.

I love this show!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a huge Whedon fan (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, etc). But my favorite all time series is The Wire. I believe it was on HBO, but the first season was over ten years ago, and I run into a few folks who've never heard of it, so I reckon that makes it obscure.

"Better Call Saul" is my new favorite (it's a spin-off from "Breaking Bad"), but it's probably not too obscure.

I like this one too. Fargo is another. But doubt these qualify as obscure. I'm scratching my head on trying to come up with something truly obscure. Every now and then I will stumble on a something on The Animal Planet that catches my attention, but I can't even think of the name of the show. That's pretty obscure I guess.:LOL:

I have liked Airplane Repo, Air Disasters, and Buying Alaska. Also reruns of Mad About You.

My new favorite show is the Detectorists on Acorn. You have to pay $49 a year for Acorn, but it's well worth it. It's all British TV. This show is part comedy, part touching, and just very good. In some ways it reminds me of the quirkiness of Doc Martin, but more subtle and clever.

Has anyone else seen it? The theme song is hauntingly beautiful, too.

Oh, I see that the first season is on Netflix. There are two on Acorn.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Love the show and watched both seasons on Acorn. There's a "making of the show" episode at the end that's really interesting too. It's not really about metal detectoring at all.

Back
Top Bottom