Name your favorite obscure cable show

Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown.

Along with the predecessors, The Layover, No Reservations, A Cook's Tour. The early episodes were mostly about cuisine with a side of culture. Many of the latest episodes are culture with a side of food. Interesting places all over the world, some I would never see otherwise. Fascinating IMO. Bourdain has evolved considerably as well...

Last edited:
Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown.

Along with the predecessors, The Layover, No Reservations, A Cook's Tour. The early episodes were mostly about cuisine with a side of culture. Many of the latest episodes are culture with a side of food. Fascinating IMO. Bourdain has evolved considerably as well...

That made me remember a funny British one, called An Idiot Abroad. These two guys send their buddy, who is definitely NOT a traveler, to all sorts of random and horrible places.

That made me remember a funny British one, called An Idiot Abroad. These two guys send their buddy, who is definitely NOT a traveler, to all sorts of random and horrible places.
Which makes me think of the original Top Gear, love that show on BBCA. Not at all obscure in the UK, but maybe in the USA? The various spin offs pale in comparison...

Late at night, I find myself watching the re-runs of The First 48, all 15 seasons of them. I feel like I am getting to personally know the detectives, some of who probably live a few miles from me :D. It beats watching the news.

I also record the crazy auto shows like "What's Your Car Worth", "Bithcin' Rides", "Chasing Classic Cars", etc, I also record the live auto auctions to see what the classic and muscle cars are fetching these days.
I'm hooked on every one of those plus Fast and Loud and BBCA's Top Gear.

My new favorite show is the Detectorists on Acorn. You have to pay $49 a year for Acorn, but it's well worth it. It's all British TV. This show is part comedy, part touching, and just very good. In some ways it reminds me of the quirkiness of Doc Martin, but more subtle and clever.

Has anyone else seen it? The theme song is hauntingly beautiful, too.

Oh, I see that the first season is on Netflix. There are two on Acorn.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I watched both seasons and enjoyed them. We also like the series A Place To Call Home have you seen it? We love Acorn, especially the mysteries like Midsomer Murders and Foylrs War.

I watched both seasons and enjoyed them. We also like the series A Place To Call Home have you seen it? We love Acorn, especially the mysteries like Midsomer Murders and Foylrs War.

We loved A Place To Call Home! I read they are filming the next season right now.

I can't remember the exact name, but something like "Earth Without People". It showed how nature would reclaim cities if all people were gone. Show the effects after one year, 2, 5, 10, etc. Especially interesting was seeing Manhattan reclaimed and becoming almost prehistoric with animals of all types taking over. I think it was on History Channel 10 years ago or so.

Two recent semi-obscure favorites would be The Fall on Netflix and The Missing on Starz. I also loved the AMC miniseries The Night Manager.

I can't remember the exact name, but something like "Earth Without People". It showed how nature would reclaim cities if all people were gone. Show the effects after one year, 2, 5, 10, etc. Especially interesting was seeing Manhattan reclaimed and becoming almost prehistoric with animals of all types taking over. I think it was on History Channel 10 years ago or so.

Yea that was "Life After People", from 2009.

I used to love history channel, when it actually had history on instead of reality TV junk.

I liked one called "Connections" , James Burke. It was on PBS/BBC. Showed different discoveries built on one another that eventually ended up with something we use in modern life.

Also did another one called "The Day the Universe Changed"

Mygrations a new series. Twenty people, with differing skills, are attempting to follow the Wildabeast migration across the Sarenghete. No map, compass, weapons, no one in charge.:D I think 3 people dropped in three days. Seems like there's a fair amount of lions out there strolling around.

Not obscure, but not over the air:
Orange is the New Black and The Invincible Kimmie Schmidt. Our son turned us on to these.

We also do like American Pickers, How's it made and many things on the Food Network.

Make that The Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt

Last edited:
+1 Very funny show :LOL:
Is a Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant show (they did the original British The Office and also Extras and Derek which are also 3 great shows!) where they send their friend Karl Pilkington across the globe and just cause him nothing but uncomfortableness and grief. I love it!:)
Ricky was always messing with Karl before this show anyways, especially all the stuff he used to do to him on the Ricky Gervais Show!

Back
Top Bottom