Nanny state rant

With an induction stove, the pot gets hot. The “burner” is only heated by the pot. It heats faster than a gas stove as well. Our induction stove has a little light indicating that the burner is hot. And no open flame so much less fire risk.
At my camp I use an induction stove when there is solar power available, or I know batteries are well charged. Otherwise a recycled RV propane stove. Else iin winter use the wood fired stove since it is running anyway to make heat.
Love the induction stove, 35 seconds to hot cast iron skillet.

In other news, putting a near dead short on the end of a pair wires to make heat, such as an electric stove, water heater, resistance house heater never made sense to me.
Though I am stuck with electric water heater as it came with the house. Furnace is oil fired.

With an induction stove, the pot gets hot. The “burner” is only heated by the pot. It heats faster than a gas stove as well. Our induction stove has a little light indicating that the burner is hot. And no open flame so much less fire risk.

If you turn on the induction stove, but don't put a pot (or keys) on it, does it stay cool to the touch ?

If you turn on the induction stove, but don't put a pot (or keys) on it, does it stay cool to the touch ?
The one i have will not turn on power to the coils if no load (ferrous pot) is present. And will turn off when pot is removed.
After use the surface will be hot via conducted heat from the pot.

Induction sounds maybe good for a cooktop. But we are not replacing the 6 burner gas cooktop that came with our place. It rocks. And the oven is electric for some reason.

Mega Corps probably burn more gas in 1 minute than I will burn in a lifetime. Let them cut back and be more efficient.

Gas is the best cooktop, that's why they are in restaurants. Induction is a close second and almost as good. I would like a gas dryer, the electric drags 30 amps at 240 volts.

Mega Corps probably burn more gas in 1 minute than I will burn in a lifetime. Let them cut back and be more efficient.

I'm sure Megacorp uses a lot more gas than any of us. They "save" energy because they can make more money if they do - so they are possibly more motivated than individuals, though that's arguable.

Keep in mind, in burring all that gas at Megacorp, they make the stuff you buy - and they are much more efficient than you would be if you tried to make what you now buy from Megacorp.

Imagine you wanted a bag of Sacrete (90lb bag of prepared cement/sand/aggregate in a 90 lb bag.) Megacorp burns a whole lot of gas to make cement. Would you want to dig your own limestone, heat it to 2500 degrees, add in gypsum and heat it some more, crush the "clinker" into cement and then measure out 60 lbs of sand/aggregate to add to 30 lbs of cement - mix thoroughly and bag?

Something that we all forget from time to time is that we actually are "responsible" for all the energy used to make the stuff we buy, the stuff we use like concrete, gravel or asphalt roads, electric wires, cell towers, bridges, cars, airplanes, food production, solar panels and windmills, on and on.

I say "responsible" meaning that we each have a share in all the energy that is used on our behalf. Here is a site that helps put it all into perspective: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_energy_consumption_per_capita

I didn't quickly find a site to explain it but my gut tells me our direct use of energy (gasoline, fridge, hot water, AC, etc.) is less than the energy that is used on our behalf. Thats a SWAG but I'm sure one of our over achievers (you know who you are:LOL:) could site the data that would prove/disprove this contention. In any case, YMMV.

I prefer electric ovens for baking, gas for cooking. It’s not uncommon to find ranges with gas burners and an electric oven. Gas ovens emit moisture and may not heat as evenly.

When I replace my range, I’ll look at induction. Gas is great, but is a pain to clean.

This research was supported in part by internal funds of RMI...

From their webpage,

"Our Work

We identify the interventions and work to scale transformative change in the global energy system to cut greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by at least 50% by 2030."

https://rmi.org/

Well, it's good to know that at least they are a neutral observer and have no biases against FFs.

I purposely made no commentary. :(

This research was supported in part by internal funds of RMI...

From their webpage,

"Our Work

We identify the interventions and work to scale transformative change in the global energy system to cut greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by at least 50% by 2030."

https://rmi.org/
I think you mean "research" .

;)

This is surprising, although since electric stoves account for 60% of installed ones, that take a small slice of the in-equality.

As previously mentioned, it's likely due to the willingness to put stuff on top of electric stoves. I've had both and notice I very reluctantly put stuff on my gas stove.

Another reason I think, is with gas I remain in the house while cooking, maybe because fire is an instinctive danger ?. With electric I'm very happy to put a pot on low and leave the house for hours, after all it's safe :facepalm:

I won't do that with gas as what if a breeze blows out the very low flame :eek:
My guess is it is the so-called "hangover heat" that is more prevalent with electric cooktops. And as another said, it seems more common to place objects on an electric cooktop.

My guess is it is the so-called "hangover heat" that is more prevalent with electric cooktops. And as another said, it seems more common to place objects on an electric cooktop.

Yeah. DW grilled some fish in the toaster oven. It was sitting on top of the electric stove - along with some pans and a few items that need to be stored in the upper cabinets when I get some energy (ambition.) Fortunately, the controls are all on the upper back of the stove so it's difficult to accidentally turn on an element.

The one i have will not turn on power to the coils if no load (ferrous pot) is present. And will turn off when pot is removed.
After use the surface will be hot via conducted heat from the pot.

Mine won’t power on without an induction compatible pot or pan on it, and will power off after 30 seconds if a pan is removed. It flashes when it doesn’t detect a pan. Two of the “burners” can be connected for a large griddle pan. There is a warming section too-five burners total. Besides induction compatible pots, which I already had, cast iron and Dutch ovens work well with it.

The kitchen doesn’t get hot from the flame, and there is much less risk of burning oneself (or the house) when only the pot is hot, not the air around it and without a flame.

It’s a GE. We installed it when our gas oven stopped working. I got the bug for induction from an old thread in ER forums.

We don't have natural gas and would need a propane tank at the new place. We entertained it for a while but we will stay with all electric.
I wanted a hybrid but it was too much monkey motion.

IMHO the proposed gas stove ban is just a ruse.
Not going to happen.

It is backdoor method of whining about air polllution, indoor this time. Then, powers that be will decide that the fool public need controlling [-]help[/-], will require indoor air quality monitors, for your own good of course. Monitored by your very caring and friendly health authority.
And, if your indoor air quality gets beyond what is mandated and especially if there are children in the home, the gummint will come and strongly advise that you ventilate properly else will issue fine, and or take your children.
Which ventilation will of course need $$ to install, $$ for the monitors, and more energy use by the residence, since will be blowing out conditioned air and sucking in unconditioned air.

To make it more costly, will likely require heat exchanger system to reduce energy loss. Heat exchanger systems are much $$$.

Go ahead call me a conspiracy theorist. Now for a lawn chair and some :popcorn: ,will add nice bottle of red vino to make it even more pleasant.

Last edited:
Something that we all forget from time to time is that we actually are "responsible" for all the energy used to make the stuff we buy, the stuff we use like concrete, gravel or asphalt roads, electric wires, cell towers, bridges, cars, airplanes, food production, solar panels and windmills, on and on.

Just finished reading "How the World Really Works: The Science Behind How We Got Here and Where We're Going" by Vaclav Smil. Not an easy read but very enlightening. The issues are much more complex than many people assume.

I’m waiting for the very latest technology - heat pump stoves.

Way more efficient.

That’s all that matters, right.

Just finished reading "How the World Really Works: The Science Behind How We Got Here and Where We're Going" by Vaclav Smil. Not an easy read but very enlightening. The issues are much more complex than many people assume.
People don't realize just how impactful concrete (mostly the cement part) production is to the world's energy budget, water budget and carbon budget. It is HUGE on all accounts.

Way more efficient.

Now that would be something to see.:LOL:

Don't induction stoves pose a risk for people with pacemakers? I tried to search for this but couldn't find a definitive answer. Possibly some people are affected.

I'm a natural gas fan. I cook with gas, I heat with gas, I make hot water with gas, and I dry clothes with gas. It used to be 1/2 the cost of electricity. I don't know where these people think all that electricity will come from. We are already overtasking our electrical grid. I heat my garage with an electric heater when working on projects. I am on an hourly plan. On Dec23rd, with nationwide weather related, systemwide problems, My electric bill for that one day alone was over $50! the next day was only a bit lower. I usually run under $5 per day when the garage heater is in use.

Moving to an induction stovetop will also require a new circuit in most homes.

The older, standard electric range outlet is only 30A...need 40A-50A for induction.

With a 100A service I'd also need an upgrade to 200A service.

Last edited:
Moving to an induction stovetop will also require a new circuit in most homes.

The older, standard electric range outlet is only 30A...need 40A-50A for induction.

Mine, built in 1999 is 40A, as was my previous home built in 1979. Maybe it varies by locality.

Way more efficient.

Well, there IS this little issue of PRICE, but other than that...:whistle:

In other news, putting a near dead short on the end of a pair wires to make heat, such as an electric stove, water heater, resistance house heater never made sense to me.
Though I am stuck with electric water heater as it came with the house. Furnace is oil fired.

Then installing an oil fired water heater might be easy if the plumbing isn't difficult. Waaaay back when, when I worked on water heaters, I ran into a few of those. The impressive thing about those was the "recovery rate" or how fast they could recover from hot water use. Nothing else at the time compared.

You could run out of hot water, but you had to work at it.

That might outweigh the disadvantages of oil fired hot water.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/oil fired water heaterr?NCNI-5

Last edited:
Then installing an oil fired water heater might be easy if the plumbing isn't difficult. Waaaay back when, when I worked on water heaters, I ran into a few of those. The impressive thing about those was the "recovery rate" or how fast they could recover from hot water use. Nothing else at the time compared.

You could run out of hot water, but you had to work at it.

That might outweigh the disadvantages of oil fired hot water.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/oil fired water heaterr?NCNI-5

I grew up with oil heat (not hot water.) The biggest problem was that it did require a fair amount of maintenance. At least once/year, the oil jet had to be cleaned or replaced. Never found anything similar with gas but still a good idea to check for proper operation and possible soot buildup every year.

Back
Top Bottom