Nanny state rant

Dog turns on stove. (People were home and stopped disaster in this case.)

That dog is like the anti Lassie.

"What is it boy? Is Bobby in the well?"

Dog: "No, I just turned on the oven and walked away"

It's when I read about the particles in the gas that get spit out when burning, which also happens when cooking on any stove. Inhaling the particles is bad. I'll probably use my air vent more often to solve that.

You are inhaling particulates all the time, indoors or outside. Particulate emissions are everywhere from all the activities going on outdoors (exhaust from vehicles, industry, anything moving, etc. etc..) And your house is full of them too!

Carbon emissions from a gas flame are not too bad since humans are made of chains of carbon atoms.

You are inhaling particulates all the time, indoors or outside. Particulate emissions are everywhere from all the activities going on outdoors
The only particulate emission I'm currently concerned about is from the Ashe Juniper (AKA cedar) trees in this part of the world. Those evil creations are [-]having sex[/-] spewing pollen by the ton and I have a major case of crud (AKA cedar fever). It will be another month before we can expect real relief. :yuk:

Geezer-guys like us sometimes struggle to think as creatively as we did decades ago. But, really, a creative mind can think up many ways to make accidentally turning on an element easy and likely. Now that you've planted the suggestive seed, I'll probably come up with a way yet this evening! ;)

Heh, heh, I should probably tell you about DW (and her few "blind spots.") I rarely even touch the thing! If there is an accident - it's her fault. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :cool:

You are inhaling particulates all the time, indoors or outside. Particulate emissions are everywhere from all the activities going on outdoors (exhaust from vehicles, industry, anything moving, etc. etc..) And your house is full of them too!

Carbon emissions from a gas flame are not too bad since humans are made of chains of carbon atoms.

Yes, and some places are healthier to live than others. HI due to the prevailing winds and large area for the wind to travel (rain cleans the air).

I'm not worried about the environment when using my gas stove, except for the environment inside the house as that is what is affected and I breathe.

It's when I read about the particles in the gas that get spit out when burning, which also happens when cooking on any stove. Inhaling the particles is bad. I'll probably use my air vent more often to solve that.

All this pales in comparison to when at the cabin and we light the fireplace or wood stove and burn wood. At that point we are really great polluters, returning 100 yr old sequestered carbon to the air. But it looks nice :blush:

I'm a chemist (well, I used to play one at megacorp.) I can think of no particles that are produced by a gas flame - at least not one burning properly. If you notice a yellow flame, it's possible you are getting some carbon black (soot) and that should be addressed by setting the air/fuel ratio. But, used as intended, particulates (particles) are almost non-existent in a gas flame.

The "particles" when one cooks come from the food (especially when you scorch the food.) You get the same "particles" from an electric stove when you scorch something. YMMV

The "particles" when one cooks come from the food (especially when you scorch the food.) You get the same "particles" from an electric stove when you scorch something. YMMV

Charred food is the next smoking. Not kidding, it can be serious, especially with BBQ. Our neighbors were every day BBQ people who ate their chicken blackened, and they both died of colon cancer in the early 50s. I believe it.

Pretty soon the government will require "anti-char" detectors on stoves. Just kidding, I think...

I'm a chemist (well, I used to play one at megacorp.) I can think of no particles that are produced by a gas flame - at least not one burning properly. If you notice a yellow flame, it's possible you are getting some carbon black (soot) and that should be addressed by setting the air/fuel ratio. But, used as intended, particulates (particles) are almost non-existent in a gas flame.

If the gas was pure, it would be clean, but the articles I read said the particles were nano sized, do they filter natural gas to that level ? I doubt it.

Yes, cooking is simply dangerous, that is why REAL men cook :LOL:

Charred food is the next smoking. Not kidding, it can be serious, especially with BBQ. Our neighbors were every day BBQ people who ate their chicken blackened, and they both died of colon cancer in the early 50s. I believe it.

Pretty soon the government will require "anti-char" detectors on stoves. Just kidding, I think...

Heh, heh, I believe you. Carbon is still carbon - even when it's burnt chicken.:facepalm::LOL:

If the gas was pure, it would be clean, but the articles I read said the particles were nano sized, do they filter natural gas to that level ? I doubt it.

Yes, cooking is simply dangerous, that is why REAL men cook :LOL:

I suppose few industrial products - gas included - are totally free of impurities, but I just never saw anything about significant levels of particulates in gas. If so, they would have to be inorganic (like "dirt") to avoid being burned to harmless carbon dioxide at the stove. If you have a citation, I'd be interested.

Now, if you are talking about radon and radon daughters - which are radioactive - that might be an issue with some nat gas sources. Radon is a gas but is not destroyed upon burning the nat gas. Radon daughters can linger in gas pipes and be disturbed by "pigging" (cleaning by forcing a "pig" through the pipe.)

If that is what you are referring to, I think the issue is not so wide spread. Most folks in areas where radon is considered a "problem" perform (or have performed) a radon test to see if their houses need remediation. When it comes to nat gas, radon is the only issue I'd be concerned about but I am NOT an expert so YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom