Naps, alarm or nap roulette?

You mean you wake up in the morning to an alarm clock? Oh, the horror!

I do too! Oh, the horror! :eek:

But my alarm clock just plays gentle, nature sounds so it isn't too jarring. If I didn't set an alarm, I would be on a 25-26 hour day, awakening an hour or two later each day and then consequently going to bed an hour or two later that night. That just doesn't synch with the rest of the world.

I rarely nap, but when I do it's for 1-2 hours... and I'm not sure if my alarm clock even works anymore :)

vZairNz.png

As I approach my 65th birthday, I am taking more naps. Usually after golf and lunch. Sometimes only 15 minutes, other days as long as an hour. Never set an alarm as I'm on no schedule.

Often it seems that I don't sleep. That is, I close my eyes to nap, but after what seems like a few minutes of dreamy thought, I give up.

Yesterday, I lay back and listened to this short story:

I didn't think I'd slept, but realized the story had stopped, and I'd missed most of the second half.

Conclusion: I did sleep.

It's one of my secret luxuries, taking a short nap a few times a week. I wonder if others do this as well

After having contracted chronic Lyme several years ago and just about the time of my ER...I can't manage most days without a nap. Typically, it's just about 30-60 min but depends on how little sleep the previous night holds.

Melatonin does sweet nothing and CBD helps a tad. Still looking for for that sleep nirvana.

I have avoided naps in the past because they keep me up at night, but I heard somewhere recently that, as you age, that doesn't happen so much, so I'm giving them a try. I can't quite tell whether they're helping or hurting yet. My sleep schedule is kind of all over the place lately (it was that way before the naps).

Love the naps!

Once or twice a week, usually set a 20-30 minute alarm to avoid sleep issues later that night.

I love sleep and am a natural 9-10 hour sleeper. Retirement has been great for finding my natural sleep rhythm. If I fall asleep (after reading) relatively early, around 10 pm, 7-8 am is a natural time for me to wake up.

If I get the full amount of sleep above, I don't need naps unless I've completely exhausted myself in exercise/errands or if I'm getting sick (rare).

But when I do go down it is nap roulette all the way... and it's usually going to be at least a 2 hr show. Definitely groggy after. Doesn't usually mess up my night sleep, since I only do it when my body needs to catch up.

Funny that this thread came up, since over the last 2 months I've been setting an alarm for morning yoga and it must be messing up my sleep allocation. I've been power-napping much more often these days!

FWIW, yesterday I took 200 mg of caffeine then slept for 1.5 hours.

Back
Top Bottom