Need a New Watch Band

I want to take advantage of this thread and extend my most heartfelt thanks to all those people that wear a wristwatch. In the increasingly infrequent moments when I need to know the time but don't have a timepiece handy I just ask one of you, and always get a cheerful and informative response. Thanks, and keep up the good work!
:LOL: I never wear a watch, and in my case I often ask DW...

And the second question is, why the need to carry that phone everywhere:D
Some like to, some want to, some have to. Me personally, other than for emergencies I'd rather not be leashed to one, especially when one is effectively on-call 24/7 with their w*rk when they carry one. Business survived without cell phones, iPads and pagers once, and they can do it again.

And the second question is, why the need to carry that phone everywhere:D
Habit from work years, and now DW likes to be able to get a hold of me, usually texting. But I screen a lot of calls...:D

I want to take advantage of this thread and extend my most heartfelt thanks to all those people that wear a wristwatch. In the increasingly infrequent moments when I need to know the time but don't have a timepiece handy I just ask one of you, and always get a cheerful and informative response. Thanks, and keep up the good work!
"Crowdsourcing"...

I'll bet I look at my watch 20 times a day. The main uses are

Is it time to eat?
Is it time to go to bed?
Do I have time to do x before it is time to eat?

I quit wearing a watch in 2007, when my watchband broke. I did not wear one for years. Then, I decided to go from a regular cell phone to a Tracfone and I do not keep the Tracfone turned on. I am using it for true emergencies. I probably should use it one time to make sure it works. There were several times that I needed to know the time and would have to ask someone. When my son wanted to know what to get me for Christmas, I told him a cheap watch. I am back to wearing one. This watch band does not have a chain and it has come unclasped several times while I am wearing it. I have a feeling that I am going to lose it one of these days.

I received my watch band today. The first thing I did was hold it up next to my watch to make sure the size is correct. Yes, it is. Now I just need to have enough patience to wait for the spring tool to arrive.

While I no longer wear a watch, I think there are two types who still do.

Those that really need the current time (i.e. runner).
Those that look at a watch as a piece of jewelery (e.g. Rolex).

As I stated in another thread, I no longer wear a watch but use my Windows phone to tell the time. The advantage is that it also displays my calendar/events from my WindowsLive calendar (linked to my home PC) - for current and upcoming events.

Guess I'm not in that category, having posted:

I don't really USE my watch in retirement much at all, but I am so used to having it on my wrist that I need to have it there! I would feel naked and alone without a watch on my wrist. :blush:

So, on to your second category:

rescueme said:

Yeah, right... a Rolex, that's what I wear. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• watch.jpg
    watch.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 83
I wear a watch when I'm traveling by air, because without it I would be afraid of missing a connection. Otherwise, I stopped wearing one about 15 years ago, long before I FIREd.

I still find a need to wear one in a few situations, though. Attending or giving a lecture is one that comes to mind. When you're wondering if something will ever end, or if you're trying to match the information you're giving to the time allotted, a watch is essential. It's so much less obvious to sneak a peek at your wrist than to pull out your phone and look at it.

Is it time to go to bed?
Do I have time to do x before it is time to eat?
I'd hate to have my spouse catch me looking at a timepiece in this context!

I wear a watch when I'm traveling by air, because without it I would be afraid of missing a connection. Otherwise, I stopped wearing one about 15 years ago, long before I FIREd.
I still find a need to wear one in a few situations, though. Attending or giving a lecture is one that comes to mind. When you're wondering if something will ever end, or if you're trying to match the information you're giving to the time allotted, a watch is essential. It's so much less obvious to sneak a peek at your wrist than to pull out your phone and look at it.
Some of the greatest pleasures of retirement have been:
1. I can arrange air travel to be direct with no connections because it's convenient for me, not because it's the cheapest flight my employer can find,
and
2. I can prepare a 20-minute talk that's easily delivered without looking at the time. Then I can take questions until the audience has clearly had enough of me. Once again, I can quit talking when we're done instead of when it's convenient for our employer to take a break...

I'm back in business. Attached the new watch band today. The spring tool did make the job easier too, though I probably could have done it with a pocket knife or tiny screwdriver.

Attachments

• watch.jpg
    watch.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 10

I've had two fetishes in my life, watches and shoes. I'm the jewelry type. DW gave me a Rolex Submariner for our 25th wedding anniversary. I always wanted one and she knew it. That was in 1997 and it still looks like new today. I like it to this day and love her for gifting it to me. We won't talk about shoes. We both have a thing about being on time. First of all, we are never late for an appointment. It drives us both nuts if someone else is late. Those that think it's fashionable to be late are wrong. It's rude.

I've had two fetishes in my life, watches and shoes. I'm the jewelry type. DW gave me a Rolex Submariner for our 25th wedding anniversary. I always wanted one and she knew it. That was in 1997 and it still looks like new today. I like it to this day and love her for gifting it to me. We won't talk about shoes. We both have a thing about being on time. First of all, we are never late for an appointment. It drives us both nuts if someone else is late. Those that think it's fashionable to be late are wrong. It's rude.
We've become disenchanted with Rolex over the last decade or so since their repair / maintenance service charges have become exorbitant and the work often unsatisfactory.

We've become disenchanted with Rolex over the last decade or so since their repair / maintenance service charges have become exorbitant and the work often unsatisfactory.
If you can afford a Rolex, you can afford to buy/replace it with another :LOL: ...

I wanted to purchase one the last time we were in Switzerland but DW gave me the "evil eye" when she saw the pricetag of the one I was interested in.

I said, "the Rolex, or nothing" (that's why I wear nothing :facepalm: )...

If you can afford a Rolex, you can afford to buy/replace it with another :LOL: ...

I wanted to purchase one the last time we were in Switzerland but DW gave me the "evil eye" when she saw the pricetag of the one I was interested in.

I said, "the Rolex, or nothing" (that's why I wear nothing :facepalm: )...
I've gotten better service out of my Omega which is decades older than my Rolex. A Rolex was once considered a lifetime investment and commanded a premium for their reliability and durability. I like to buy stuff that lasts but it looks like I'll have to succumb to the modern throw away mentality. Last year I replaced my wife's Rolex with a Citizen ecodrive. My Omega Constellation with a Speidel twistoflex is my polite company watch and I use the Rolex with a tritium face for outdoor sports.

I agree with the posts regarding Rolex being overrated. I like mine and they always look good but are they worth the price? No. Same goes for any very expensive watch. I can't understand why something that costs so much has to be serviced every five years (recommended). I have mine serviced every seven years through a jeweler friend of mine for $350. Normal cost is $550. That's the part I don't get. I still have a Seiko that DW got me about 35 years ago and it still runs and looks good. It was about $200 back then so it was a decent timepiece. No service charges except new battery when it goes dead.

With the CHF trading at about $1.09 it's no small wonder that the cost of Swiss merchandise is prohibitive to Yanks. I bought my Rolex when the Swiss Franc was under 50¢.
For comparison purposes, during the same time frame, the JPY went from 0.42¢ to 1.25¢

Last edited:
In less than one year, I already need a new band as the one I got is fraying. :blush:

So I went ahead and ordered a replacement (different model than previously).

At least I'll be putting that spring tool to good use.

Bought my Rollex at 2AM in the morning in North Station in Boston in 1956, where I was sleeping. Girl friend , (now bride), had to be back to her dorm by 10PM. It was too cold to sleep on the banks of the Charles, where I was used to staying over when I came down from my Maine college for a date.

Anyway, the guy had on a huge great coat, which made him look like a very fat Alfred Hitchcock... Wonder of wonders, when he opened the coat, pinned to the inside from to to bottom, were at least 100 watches. which he indicated might be "hot"... Including the Rol(l)ex that he sold to me for the incredible price of $5. (it had a band, too).

How could I lose?... It had a lifetime guarantee, so if anything went wrong, I could send it back to the factory to be repaired.

Anyway... haven't worn a watch since last day of work in 1989... Find great joy in offering to buy a clock for the TarJay stores which don't allow them.

"Crowdsource" love it!!!!!:dance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdsourcing

Last edited:
Going on year 4 for my hundred buck Casio. The Rado and the Breitling live in DW's jewelery box more or less permanently.

Back
Top Bottom