Need new laptop

And significant reduces performance, along with practically every other advantage there may have been from going with the Mac in the first place. As far as I can tell, running Windows on a Mac is a good feature, but not if you're going to spend the majority of your time using your Mac doing so.

I switched from a Dell PC to a Mac because I just retired and I didn't have any significant investment in Windows applications plus I was using iTunes and an iPhone. The achievement was getting a laptop I would actually carry around which could also serve as my desktop. The laptop has 256 GB of solid state memory which is plenty for any mobile work I do. The 2 TB TimeCapsule more than meets my home storage needs for photos and videos and I still get a decent sized monitor for home. I have to believe that you can put together a similar system from PC's.

Specs aren't the issue: You can always get a superior system for the money (on paper) as a PC as compared to Apple's offering. The issue is one of quality. My own recent Dell experience is a good example.

I bought a replacement for my 2007 Dell XPS laptop as it was getting old. I decided to try out an Inspiron. Okay let's not even talk about that, except to say that it quickly went back and a new XSP laptop arrived at my door. I was relatively shocked how similar it was to the Inspiron, how many aspects of quality have so badly degraded in the product line since 2007. Instead of a keyboard, we now get a button board. Instead of a nice, glossy screen that resists scratches, I now have a matte finish screen with loads of noticeable imperfections in it. And that's just the surface issues.

Now for all I know, Apples can have crapped-out similarly, but that's not what I hear from my family members who have drank the Kool-Aid.

Yes, you may lose alot by going to the MacBook Air...but they are wonderful. I bought one a year ago, and I really, really love it. I doubt I will ever go back, but tech progresses, so never say never (I said I would never ever buy a Mac until DD got one and I saw what a great machine it was). They are a bit pricey, but they work. I constantly had problems with my MS machines, not one problem with my Macs...we have two now.

R

Back
Top Bottom