Need Sewing Machine Recommendations

target2019

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The old model sewing machine has given up. It is probably more than 35 years old, and repaired a few times. While waiting for repair places to respond, we're looking at new models. She came up with this one:
https://www.brother-usa.com/products/hc1850

The machine will be used for quilts and general duty.

I'm thinking we need to spend more money, but I could be wrong.

Thank you for any advice you'd like to share.

Brother is a good brand. I just bought a low end one, but I only do basic stitches for seam repair and hems, no quilting.

DW bought an Elan a few years ago. She says it's the greatest thing ever. They're expensive though.

Check out some quilting groups/websites and see what is discussed and what the consensus is on a good machine for quilting. There will usually be a thread or two discussing the merits of various brand machines for quilting.

I have a 15-year old Bernina. Solid as a tank.

The young wife, who was a first pattern maker in a fashion house before we married, has a 41 year old Bernina that gets used several times a week and still runs like a charm.

Last edited:
Spouse who is coincidently also making a quilt has a Bernina sport. She puts the outer fabric together with it and then sends that to a woman who has a massive quilting machine to sew through all the layers.

I have a 15-year old Bernina. Solid as a tank.

Pfaff is another premium brand. DW has a Pfaff and a portable Singer -- you can feel the precision of the Pfaff vs. the cheaper machine when they run. But the Pfaff cost over a grand while the Singer was maybe a couple hundred bucks. For someone who sews a lot, like as a hobby, the extra expense is probably worth it.

Thanks for all of the ideas. She wants to go with the Brother HC 1850. With protection plan it will be under $250, delivered by Saturday.

We figure if it goes 4-5 years it will be worth it. We do intend to take the baby lock in for repair eventually.

DW is a quilter and she has a Viking 545. It has been bullet proof as far as I know and has made a lot of quilts. It is portable - she takes it to her weekly quilting session.

Back
Top Bottom