Netscape browser

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I was rummaging around in some junk drawers recently and came across a 3.5" disk of Netscape 1.0, the original browser.

One of my neighbors thinks it might be worth something to a collector, but I couldn't find anything relevant online.

Since it's well known that there are experts in every subject under the sun here, I thought I'd ask. I'm not looking for money, but if there is a museum somewhere that could use it, I'd be happy to donate.

Probably about as valuable as an old AOL Free Trial disc :).

Probably the same value as my AOL 1.0 disc.

Who remembers the earlier Mosaic (Mac) or Cello (Windows) or the text based Lynx? I ran Cello briefly before Netscape was released with a Chameleon windsock app for tcp-ip since that stack was not built into Windows at the time. Before that I even had some psuedo SLIP something or another app that I had to compile on the Unix server I dialed into with another app on my PC to enable TCP protocol to pass the traffic over the dial up connection and then unpack it at my end. (Anybody remember the names of those aps? I can't find them with Google.) Exciting times.

Edit: found it. The app I used was SLiRP. Worked over Unix shell accounts. You compiled SLiRP on the server (can you imagine they allowed that?). It converted the shell account into a SLIPP/PPP connection allowing you to run TCP based apps like Cello, Netscape, or client side email, Usenet, FTP etc.

Last edited:
SLiRP! I'd forgotten all about that. My first home internet connection was a UNIX shell account with netcom.com in the SF Bay area. Had to buy a copy of 'UNIX for Dummies' to make sense of it all.

Ran Mosaic on the Mac until Netscape came along.

SLiRP! I'd forgotten all about that. My first home internet connection was a UNIX shell account with netcom.com in the SF Bay area. Had to buy a copy of 'UNIX for Dummies' to make sense of it all.
Ha. I had to do the same to figure out how to do stuff. Finally installed Linux servers at home in ~2000 to move my web site in-house which demanded I climb another learning cliff. Abandoned that a few years back. Its been a while since I installed anything from a tarball (configure, make, make-install?). It was all fascinating at the time. Now I just want to click and go.

Do you shoot skeet?

I used Mosaic and Lynx a lot. Even got a badge for my web page that was "Optimized for Lynx"!

Back
Top Bottom