New bike day

But the XT drive train on the new bike rocks. My first 1x12 and I really like it. Crisp shifting and a little cleaner set-up on the bar. Not a weight weenie but I like less mechs to fuss with.

Do you miss the range of a 2x or 3x drivetrain? I'm pretty happy with the 1x12 on my primary MTB, but was forced to choose between low gears for climbing and high gears for speeding along the flats (I chose climbing and have an ultra-grandpa 28T chainring up front). With the 2x10 on my old bike I had a significantly bigger gear range and didn't have to choose between the low end and the high.

I have a 30t chainring and 10-51 cassette. High gear is not quite the same on the flats but close and I live in the hills so there is very little flat area to cross anyways. Hey, I am flexible! :whistle:

Technically those things that make the noise are pawls and I have never greased any of mine in tens of thousands of miles of riding.
Each brand has its own sound. My Campy sounds different than my single speed White Industries which sounds different than my SRAM. I kinda like sounds.

I really need a new bike day ....

Rode my CX bike on Wednesday down to the river and tore up a brand new tire at the bottom of the hill. Hot walk up the hill and called for a ride home.

On Thursday rode a different bike down to the river on the same route and blew rear tubeless tire off the rim with a loud bang at the exact same spot. Think the issue was the 100+ degree weather, my 226 lb weight, and the riding the rim brakes down the steep hill. Even hotter ... 108 degrees per Garmin ... walk up the hill and called for a ride home ... again.

Today’s ride (workout) down to the river and back on my ancient Stumpjumper mountain bike was uneventful thankfully.

I really need a new bike day ....

Rode my CX bike on Wednesday down to the river and tore up a brand new tire at the bottom of the hill. Hot walk up the hill and called for a ride home.

On Thursday rode a different bike down to the river on the same route and blew rear tubeless tire off the rim with a loud bang at the exact same spot. Think the issue was the 100+ degree weather, my 226 lb weight, and the riding the rim brakes down the steep hill. Even hotter ... 108 degrees per Garmin ... walk up the hill and called for a ride home ... again.

Today’s ride (workout) down to the river and back on my ancient Stumpjumper mountain bike was uneventful thankfully.

Egads! Let’s see. 226 lbs going downhill above 100 degrees. That will blow tires every time if you have enough air in them at the start. I’ve had to let air out of my car tires in hot weather - got a dashboard warning that the tires exceeded safe psi level.

Maybe check your tire pressure frequently on hot days and let some air out if the psi gets out of line.

Eeek. They'd have been calling the coroner if I tried that. These days I just don't bother riding if it's over 90 (or do it all before 10AM this time of year).

Over 90? I bike early so it's not over 70. Haha. Can't imagine why anyone who has the choice would choose to ride during the heat of the day this time of year. I prefer 62-70 degrees, low 70's is ok if needed especially if it's before 9am.

Over 90? I bike early so it's not over 70. Haha. Can't imagine why anyone who has the choice would choose to ride during the heat of the day this time of year. I prefer 62-70 degrees, low 70's is ok if needed especially if it's before 9am.

+1

Hmmmm....
I have never blown a tire due to heat even though living in very hot climates with plenty of steep terrain most of my cycling years.
Our current summer training ride has about 6000ft of climbing (elevation gain) over 40 miles - very steep! The descent is twisty with rough pavement so constant braking is needed to control speed. When we stop for a break to rest our hands the rims (rim brakes) are too hot to touch for more than a sec or two. 26 x 1.50 tires @ 60psi to start.

Last edited:
Hmmmm....
I have never blown a tire due to heat even though living in very hot climates with plenty of steep terrain most of my cycling years. .

This was a first for me. I’ve done this daily route as a workout to the river and back (50 minute, 10 mile and 1,400 ft of elevation) literally hundreds of times in all weather and never had a tire issue. A ripped tire one day and a tire blow off the rim the next. Hope that’s it for a while.

Just retired May 1 and working to get back into bike racing weight and condition this Summer. I’ll need to reward myself with a new gravel bike like that pretty titanium Salsa when I get there!

Back
Top Bottom