New bike day

ronin

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Got my new mountain bike built off a Salsa Timberjack titanium frame. Shakedown ride this morning scorched the hillside with hot salsa. :LOL:

DSCN2515.jpg

2019-07-12%2015.20.49.jpg

Not new...or even new to me. About a year new to me. Kona Honky Tonk Just had a great 26 miles on the road today. About 4 PRs. Felt great the whole way. I should have added on another portion that would have made 40 miles. I really like this bike. I like it better than my plastic (carbon fiber) bike. Steel is real baby.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/43p5311auv9jrg1/2019-07-12 15.20.49.jpg?dl=0

edit:what is the secret to posting images in the post? Use a photo hosting site?

what is the secret to posting images in the post? Use a photo hosting site?

attachment icon (paperclip above the message composition box).

My other bike is a full suspension, carbon, Santa Cruz Bronson. I like it a lot.

Drove down to my condo this afternoon. Looking forward to biking in morning on the nature trails. Mostly flat terrain. Thank goodness. I'm not much into mountain biking. My legs aren't anyway.....

Love my road bike, Lightspeed Tuscany (titanium). It is great to get out for rides during Covid times, a great break.

Last edited:
I'm sure glad my daughter grew up and is no longer racing BMX. I've bought my last $600 aluminum and/or carbon frame and $800 custom wheels with titanium spokes.

Still have a bunch of high quality, featherweight bikes out in my garage.

Same with mountain bikes: Light weight costs dearly.

Sad thing is, these days DW and I use our droppers as much to ease our stiff haunches over the saddle when mounting as we do for diving down the steeps...

Cool Salsa. I almost bought a Salsa Vaya for DW this January, but she fell in love with a more traditional road bike.

Looks nice! Is the rear wheel/tire larger than the front or is it an optical illusion that only I am noticing?

I'm sure glad my daughter grew up and is no longer racing BMX. I've bought my last $600 aluminum and/or carbon frame and $800 custom wheels with titanium spokes.

All that stuff has good value on the used market these days.

Not sure if the same applies to mountain bikes but always felt the push to lite weight road bikes is more of a selling gimmick and has little benefit for most of us non-competitive riders. I have two road bikes, maybe 8 lbs difference between the two, and see little difference in total riding effort/speed.

I should not have clicked on this thread. I’ve been thinking of upgrading my entry level bike, since I have been riding more and more over the past couple of years. I ride mostly on rail trails and paved paths, so was thinking of either a gravel bike with drop bars or a better hybrid/ fitness bike with flat handlebars.

You all are a bunch of enablers. I’ve started looking at specs on the Trek website and thinking I need a couple of test rides.

Not sure if the same applies to mountain bikes but always felt the push to lite weight road bikes is more of a selling gimmick and has little benefit for most of us non-competitive riders. I have two road bikes, maybe 8 lbs difference between the two, and see little difference in total riding effort/speed.

It's hard for me to say for sure since lightness most often comes along with a bunch of other subtle and not so subtle improvements as one moves to a more expensive bike. I will say though that when I've traded up from entry level bikes (either road or mountain) to nicer ones that were 10-11 pounds lighter I noticed a pretty significant improvement in ease/speed of climbing.

I'm not a total "weight weenie" who will pay $5 for every gram shaved off, but take a few pounds off - especially in the wheels - and I'll notice it.

When I was doing a lot of biking back in the early 1980s, I upgraded to a Trek 950 with campy components and columbus tubing. It was significantly lighter than my prior road bike and did make climbing in the hills of Connecticut much easier.

Looks nice! Is the rear wheel/tire larger than the front or is it an optical illusion that only I am noticing?

Illusion. They are both 29".

Anybody's up for a custom steel or ti bike - road racer, gravel grinder, mtb, I have a friend who is a expert fabricator and will fit you out to a tee. >:D

Every night @ 5-6 pm we're off on our bikes. It's the best part of our day. We fly through tree lined neighborhoods. I do wish we had more challenging hills. Unfortunately, we live in the flat-lands of the Midwest...corn/soybean country. There are many country roads but can be dangerous with cars speeding.

My oldest bike is 35 yrs old. I'd be crippled if I tried to ride it as a mtb these days although it was my first mtb way back. Fully rigid, cro-moly 26er. Now it is good for cruising the strand down by the beach. The lbs where I bought it is still in business although it has a younger owner. I still patronize them (although I do all my own wrenching). Support your local lbs.

DSCN1797.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve ridden a Trek hybrid for many years. Crushed stone and asphalt trails and on roads. But now I’m spending a lot of mornings hiking and running. I don’t feel like biking in the heat of the day after hiking or running.

So I bought an ebike 2 weeks ago. Specialized Como 3. I still get a little bit of a workout on it because I find myself going twice as far as I did on the Trek. And I can’t believe how much fun it is to ride. 20 mph with little effort.

Attachments

• 01C40B12-B835-4270-B8BC-81FE591B6DEC.jpg
    01C40B12-B835-4270-B8BC-81FE591B6DEC.jpg
    969.6 KB · Views: 33
Beautiful Salsa build. Congrats!

Jonesing for a new Hardtail mountain bike. Have a well worn workhorse alloy Stumpjumper which I use for gravel, cross country, sometimes cyclocross races and many miles of training. Would love to retire Stumpy and replace with a new carbon-framed rig equipped with a 1x12 drivetrain and a set of magically light and extraordinarily strong carbon hoops.

Sadly the frame I want is out of stock in my size so new bike day is many months away.

I don’t feel like biking in the heat of the day after hiking or running. So I bought an ebike 2 weeks ago. Specialized Como 3.

Sweet!

I ride dawn patrol. Too much sun over too many yrs. Fortunately, early riser is ingrained.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom