Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Here, I think it's poutine or hot dogs, and then pizza (and the pizza is not as good here as I remember in California.) Never tried their poutine though (not my thing).

Those darn Canadians can't even get poutines figured out. My dad was from New Brunswick Canada and what they called poutines has no resemblance at all to that photo (french fries and gravy?). There version of poutines was a round ball shaped item, maybe 4-5" in diameter, made from mashed potatoes, filled with pork in the middle, boiled for several hours. I didn't care for them but my dad loved them, usually a holiday treat.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2019, 04:07 PM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Those darn Canadians can't even get poutines figured out. My dad was from New Brunswick Canada and what they called poutines has no resemblance at all to that photo (french fries and gravy?). There version of poutines was a round ball shaped item, maybe 4-5" in diameter, made from mashed potatoes, filled with pork in the middle, boiled for several hours. I didn't care for them but my dad loved them, usually a holiday treat.
Poutine râpée, a traditional Acadian dish.
pr.jpg

That part of the world definitely has its own food traditions. My Nova Scotia great grandfather reportedly lived on little else beyond potatoes and codfish.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:48 AM   #183
Recycles dryer sheets

Delta Dental Plan for Costco members

We just changed our dental plan from the regular Delta Dental Individual coverage for the two of us, at $220/annual to the Delta Dental USA for Costco members.
We will pay $157/annually (plus a $10 new enrollment fee) for comparable plan.
Copay for Semi-Ann cleaning drops from $25 under Indiv Plan to $20 for Costco Plan...and other similar modest benefit improvements.
Our new covg begins eff 1/1/2020, but I expect/hope for seamless service. Have always been satisfied with Delta service under the orig plan.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:21 PM   #184
Dryer sheet aficionado

USDA Prime whole packer brisket for the pellet grill.
fvfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:58 PM   #185
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I live in the PNW and have occasion to visit the Costco in Anchorage... Let me assure you that the merchandise offered is VERY different from the lower 48. Crab pots were featured when I visited. I assume other stores also have stock that reflects the needs of the locals.

Funny (to me) recent conversation with a retired couple visiting Portland from India. When I mentioned that they would be in the US for Thanksgiving she was not only familiar with pumpkin pie but Costco. I couldn't figure out if she shopped at Costco in India or, as her husband is retired military, she shopped there in other countries.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:03 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVFIRE View Post
USDA Prime whole packer brisket for the pellet grill.
Now that sounds great!

Is it going to take 16 hours?

Yeah - I keep looking at them in the Costco case.

I also have been doing their beef ribs - the chuck one they carry.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:11 AM   #187
Give me a forum ...

Costco seems to be overwhelmed this Black Friday (BF) weekend. All I get when I try to logon to Cost.com is a message that I am not authorized to use the server. Not so good

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #188
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Costco seems to be overwhelmed this Black Friday (BF) weekend. All I get when I try to logon to Cost.com is a message that I am not authorized to use the server. Not so good
Yep. Still suffering from problems on Thursday.

Experts estimate Costco's website crash on Thanksgiving could reach $11M in losses
Old 11-30-2019, 12:37 PM   #189

Another thing that's good at Costco is their imported Comté cheese. I hadn't seen it for a while, and then it just reappeared this month, so it might be a fall/winter thing. My sister-in-law from France assures me it's like a taste of home for her.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Costco is still not happy with me. I tried to logon to my account this morning and got this message:

Quote:
Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.costco.com/" on this server. Reference #18.4c321cb8.1575216330.4d51e750
I must have really upset them.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:24 AM   #191
Administrator

Quote:
Costco is still not happy with me. I tried to logon to my account this morning and got this message:

I must have really upset them.
Try using a different browser or private browsing mode to log in.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:34 AM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Ooooh! Good thing that I took advantage of their online sale the prior weekend!
Old 12-01-2019, 09:40 AM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Try using a different browser or private browsing mode to log in.
I did. Besides private browsing I tried Firefox, Chrome and Safari. All I get is the same message.

FWIW, the app seems to work on my iPad. But, since I have not bought anything lately, I can't ensure it goes all the way to a successful order.

I guess Costco will have to keep its stuff, and I will keep my money. It could be worse.

Quote:
Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.costco.com/" on this server. Reference #18.4c321cb8.1575216330.4d51e750

Old 12-01-2019, 10:00 AM   #194
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I did. Besides private browsing I tried Firefox, Chrome and Safari. All I get is the same message.

FWIW, the app seems to work on my iPad. But, since I have not bought anything lately, I can't ensure it goes all the way to a successful order.

I guess Costco will have to keep its stuff, and I will keep my money. It could be worse.
I put up with that nonsense all day on and off, on Thanksgiving. Eventually I did place the order but it was extremely frustrating.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #195
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Now that sounds great!

Is it going to take 16 hours?

Yeah - I keep looking at them in the Costco case.

I also have been doing their beef ribs - the chuck one they carry.
I’ve averaged 14-15 hrs on the past three smokes at 225 degrees with an average pre-trimmed weight around 12 lbs.
fvfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:29 PM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVFIRE View Post
I’ve averaged 14-15 hrs on the past three smokes at 225 degrees with an average pre-trimmed weight around 12 lbs.
Yeah I haven’t been brave enough to get a brisket as large as they sell at Costco. I guess I just have to start it at midnight.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:22 AM   #197
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I must be shopping at the wrong Costco store, reading all these replies makes it sound like it's a health food store, at my Costco 90% of the food stuff they sell is junk.
That's kinda my conclusion. DW and I went to our nearest Costco in ST none in RI - and we saw a lot of tempting, unhealthy food. I guess it's all about making smart choices if following a low carb diet. Prices didn't seem all that low to us and the wine prices were actually higher than what we pay at the larger liquor stores near us. That said, I did purchase a membership and we figure we'll start our 1year "trial" membership to see if it's worth it for us.
DRC726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:06 AM   #198

PSA: The Sanders chocolate covered salted caramels are back in stock. At least in my March circular, they will be $3.00 off starting Wednesday. Something to enjoy while you are in COVID lock down!
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC726 View Post
DW and I went to our nearest Costco in ST none in RI - and we saw a lot of tempting, unhealthy food. I guess it's all about making smart choices if following a low carb diet.
Yeah, there's plenty of that. I shudder when I see all the junk people have in their carts. But, I'm an empty-nester with a diet heavy on vegetables and I can go through a Costco-sized packages of many of them in a week. My typical haul includes brussels sprouts, mushrooms, baby carrots (every 2 weeks) and a package of 6 yellow, red and orange peppers. I buy other items such as cabbage and onions at a regular grocery store because I don't go through them quickly enough to justify buying in bulk.

Others have mentioned this but I love Costco for the big-ticket items: tires, mattresses, computers, etc. Those items come in many brands and a huge price range and I'm never sure whether the difference between the $500 version and the $1,500 version is worth it. I figure Costco will narrow the selection down to a few of the better ones.

I'm going to have Cambria quartz countertops installed through Costco and, while they were no bargain (cost per square foot 30% above the high end of ranges I saw in my research) I also trust Costco to choose the best installers. I figure no installer will want to have a bad track record with Costco because they'd lose a lot of business.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #200
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC726 View Post
That's kinda my conclusion. DW and I went to our nearest Costco in ST none in RI - and we saw a lot of tempting, unhealthy food. I guess it's all about making smart choices if following a low carb diet. Prices didn't seem all that low to us and the wine prices were actually higher than what we pay at the larger liquor stores near us. That said, I did purchase a membership and we figure we'll start our 1year "trial" membership to see if it's worth it for us.
We get the roasted chicken nearly everytime we are there.
I don't buy raw chicken at ours as it's $2.99/lb vs local store $1.49-$1.99.
I do like the pork loin at $1.99/lb.
Coffee is cheaper there for us.

We also used it for travel, but with covid-19, that might change quite a bit.