Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-23-2019, 08:51 AM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Seriously?
I've never seen that in Costco.
Most Costco stores have a bakery. They make 'artisan' loaves of various types. And mine makes very good bagels.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2019, 09:56 AM   #162
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raygun99 View Post
TP, Paper towels, Fresh Shrimp , Chicken

Raygun,
All I've ever seen at Costco for shrimp is frozen farm raised.

I suspect it is your location, I'm in Minnesota, but I'm going to look for fresh shrimp again. Wild caught frozen shrimp would be nice.

FYI: The frozen wild caught Alaskan cod is excellent.

Thanks, JP
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:31 AM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Seriously?
I've never seen that in Costco.
Ours has a large bakery. And several European style crusty breads.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
Raygun,
All I've ever seen at Costco for shrimp is frozen farm raised.

I suspect it is your location, I'm in Minnesota, but I'm going to look for fresh shrimp again. Wild caught frozen shrimp would be nice.

FYI: The frozen wild caught Alaskan cod is excellent.

Thanks, JP
Same here - the shrimp I see is imported shrimp usually from Asia. Since Gulf shrimp is harvested in my area I buy it elsewhere.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #165
Recycles dryer sheets

Costco favs

TP
Almonds
Pistachios
Vinegar
Some wines
Kirkland vodka
Clothing
Eggplant Parmesan
Cauliflower pizza
Probiotics
inkitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Very Berry Yogurt
Old 11-23-2019, 11:09 AM   #166
Moderator Emeritus

Very Berry Yogurt

This: For $1.65

Costco-Very-Berry-Sundae-and-Nonfat-Yogurt.jpg
Old 11-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #167
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

Attachment 33096
They discontinued the chocolate yogurt and substituted more expensive drinks for the $1.25 mocha. I don't bother with the snack bar these days, as the pizza is too much for my aging digestive tract. Two days of heartburn for a $2.00 pizza slice is too high a price to pay.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #168
Recycles dryer sheets

Absolutely love Costco for food:
-Avocados
-Kirkland hummus (20 individual packs)
-Organic chips (for hummus when not cutting peppers/cucumbers)
-Peppers (red/orange/yellow)
-Kale salad
-Bananas
-Organic plant-based protein
-Paleo protein bars
-Organic eggs
-Egg whites
(this is not a complete list but a good start)

Please be careful with tires. I spent around $600 on Michelin tires there and after not too long (don't know the exact time) Hyundai said they are starting to get low. Employee from NTB said they are owned by Michelin and Costco gets different tires to help them save money that do not last as long. This may or may not be true but if my tires are already starting to get low it makes sense.
FIREarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:09 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREarly View Post
Please be careful with tires. I spent around $600 on Michelin tires there and after not too long (don't know the exact time) Hyundai said they are starting to get low. Employee from NTB said they are owned by Michelin and Costco gets different tires to help them save money that do not last as long. This may or may not be true but if my tires are already starting to get low it makes sense.
This is quite an inflammatory charge and I really doubt it. Michelin and Costco both have stellar reputations. Basing a "confirmation" on a sample of one (your car) is, well, ridiculous.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:30 AM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
Curious what part of the country you’re in. The steel cut oats were a staple for us, but we haven’t seen them for at least 6mo.
I bought oatmeal there called Coach's Oats that was very close to steel cut. Unfortunately I only saw it available for a couple of months for about 3 years. It was faster cooking that regular steel cut oats but almost the same texture and flavor. Most of the time they only have wall paper tasting Quaker Oats

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:50 AM   #171

Quote:

Are you sure you aren't getting Sears (who was involved at some point with Michelin) mixed up with Costco? I did a search to check on Costco ownership and could find nothing about being owned by Michelin.
I guess to some small degree I own part of Costco since I bought their stock for $63/share. I was so impressed by their company philosophy and how they treat their employees I thought it would be worth taking the chance. I was also impressed with their Kirkland brand that I think is better than the leading brands of those products that I have bought. Now the shares are around $300/sh. Wish I had bought more but I could still live for about 3 years on just those stocks.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #172
Give me a forum ...

We have been buying Michelin tires at Costco for years.

We typically meet or exceed the mileage warranties. Only once in 25 years have we had a mileage adjustment on a set of tires.

We take advantage of their free tire rotation program. We rotate the tires on schedule, routinely check the inflation, and have alignments done when required.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:09 AM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Attachment 33096
Costco's soft-served ice cream tastes really bad to me. Maybe it has too much cream? It doesn't even seem that cold, and it's a bit waxy?? It has a very strange texture...

Hot dogs are the best thing to get at their food court IMHO. I usually get mine with sauerkraut and onions.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Costco and other big dealers will often buy relabeled tires from the big tire manufacturers.

Look at the name of the tire and model number (not just the company that made it) and the speed, temperature and mileage rating. If they are all the same, it's most likely the same tire. This isn't rocket science.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:20 AM   #175
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Costco's soft-served ice cream tastes really bad to me. Maybe it has too much cream? It doesn't even seem that cold, and it's a bit waxy?? It has a very strange texture...

Hot dogs are the best thing to get at their food court IMHO. I usually get mine with sauerkraut and onions.
The stuff in the link is yogurt, not ice cream. Their hot dogs don't taste good to me and I can't handle raw onions very well, so that's why I go for the yogurt and strawberries!
Old 11-24-2019, 10:49 AM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The stuff in the link is yogurt, not ice cream. Their hot dogs don't taste good to me and I can't handle raw onions very well, so that's why I go for the yogurt and strawberries!
Oh, my bad. Maybe it's a Canadian thing with the soft-served too, as I've never seen frozen yoghurt at Costco's food court.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #177
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Oh, my bad. Maybe it's a Canadian thing with the soft-served too, as I've never seen frozen yoghurt at Costco's food court.
The menu must vary by location. The Berry Sundae has only 410 calories so it's not as bad as ice cream given how big it is.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #178

Poutine at Costco must also be a Canadian thing...

https://sodafry.com/2016/10/16/pouti...co-food-court/
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Poutine at Costco must also be a Canadian thing...

https://sodafry.com/2016/10/16/pouti...co-food-court/
Yep, I've noticed that when I moved to Canada. When I lived in Mountain View, California, the most sold item by far was pizza, and then hot dogs. Here, I think it's poutine or hot dogs, and then pizza (and the pizza is not as good here as I remember in California.) Never tried their poutine though (not my thing). They also serve fried chicken wings now.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Items certainly vary by store even within the USA. I often read about a certain wine at a good price at Costco, but repeated attempts to find it at my local store result in failure. OTOH, I found a good Chateauneuf-du-Pape at my local Costco for about $20 a bottle.