New Costco store just opened nearby, what items do u like to buy at Costco.

Osprey

Recycles dryer sheets
We have visited Costco in other locations but never lived near one. Any favorite products we should try?

My Costco staples include:

Rotisserie chicken
Riced Cauliflower (frozen)
Almonds
Olive Oil
Batteries (when they are included in the monthly sale)
Vitamins
Wine
Salmon stuffed with crabmeat
Pre-cooked beets
Veggie tray
Berries
Lamb

We had a membership for two years and while I enjoyed it, the size of the groceries was too much for just the two of us.

Rotisserie chicken
Fresh spinach (really large bag)
Fish oil caplets
Sourdough bread
Pork back ribs (watch out, it’s a pkg of 3)
Whole side of salmon
Cooked beets - found these twice and loved them and then my store stopped carrying them
Chicken parts
Bath towels including my favorite large bath sheets
Better Than Boullion
The $1.50 hot dog with drink on the way out of the store

Their tires can be a great bargain and come with a good road hazard warranty and low cost mounting and balancing.

Organic Salsa
Jarlsberg cheese wedge
Toilet paper
paper towels
kitchen trash bags
Kirkland Mixed nuts, and their nuts in general
Nut bars
From their food court - Pizza (slice or whole), chicken bake
Frozen chicken breasts

a note on the Olive Oil. Only the kirtland virgin olive oil in the GLASS bottles gets into the top ratings of olive oil brands.

If you buy a package of the eyeglass cleaner at the eye center (2 bottles in a package), they will refill the bottles forever.

Nuts, nuts, nuts in big bags
cashews (salted, and unsalted)
almonds
pecans
walnuts

a note on the Olive Oil. Only the kirtland virgin olive oil in the GLASS bottles gets into the top ratings of olive oil brands.

I’ve decided to not buy olive oil at Costco any more. The bottle is just too big, and while I’m no connoisseur, the oil gets funky before we can finish it. I’m going to stick with smaller bottles at a nice market near our house.

At Costco, our two main buys are nuts and frozen fruits. Of course we buy a lot more since we tend to run up a $200+ tab every time we go. Good deal on gas too. Usually good deals on things like dishwasher detergent, garbage bags . . .

Just go shop there, you’ll enjoy it. On of the things I enjoyed the most was some prime rib eyes. They grilled up real nice!

Here's my old thread on costco when I was on the fence:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/costco-what-makes-it-awesome-for-you-87222.html

What I buy since joining:

New patio set
xmas tree skirt nicer than most better quality and price
new door mat
Appliances? If you need a microwave or something their prices are competitive but the bonus is they include delivery and installation AND they take returns if you decide it's not right for you
1000 ct sheet set for less than a 200 ct

Rack of lamb ($14 a lb)
Worcestershire sauce (2 pack big bottles for the same price as 1 at publix)
Listerine (3 pack for price of 2)
Cashew Cluster - Pistachio cluster snack things
big bags of ricola sugar free cough drops
box of splenda
Aleve when it's on sale way beats any other deals
+ I only get gas there now

I won't get olive oil there as there's no way I'll use it quick enough before it goes rancid, and I use a decent amount.

Oh and it's a good place to just walk around and browse on a rainy day

Also wine.

I won't get olive oil there as there's no way I'll use it quick enough before it goes rancid, and I use a decent amount.

Oh and it's a good place to just walk around and browse on a rainy day

Also wine.

The extra virgin olive oil in the small glass bottles is the good stuff, and is a normal size bottle. It is not always in stock, however.

Fresh Pork chops
Fresh Steak
Frozen Salmon
Fresh whole chickens
Macadamia Nuts
Pecans
Spinach
Broccoli
Almond flour
Monk fruit sweetener
Vodka
TP
Eggs
Cheese
Fully cooked bacon
Avocados
Laundry soap
Orgain Protein
Organic Chia Seeds
Sprouted pumpkin seeds

This time of year (the holidays) the butternut squash ravioli is my favorite Costco purchase. Boil them to cook, then toss them with butter and parmesan cheese...mmm, a meal made in heaven (smile!)
The mashed potatoes (also only this time of year, I think) are wonderful too. But get the plain mashed potatoes, not the ones enhanced with bacon etc. - that one isn't very good.

Last edited:
Lots of good stuff, at good value.

This, I say as a member for 40+ years, back before Price Club and Costco merged.

But I find myself buying less and less grocery there, due to the big family pack that is not friendly to empty nesters.

PS. I just recall now, back in those days, in order to get membeship at Price Club, you have to be a member of certain credit unions. And one of the eligible credit unions accepted college students, and that's how I joined.

Last edited:
Definitely the olive oil! We get the glass bottles which are not always available, so we watch for when the new stuff arrives. The blend changes every year.

Also get their avocado oil and virgin coconut oil. And we picked up some grass-fed ghee this year.

They carry the Maple Leaf farms roasted duck halves this time of year, a fave. I stock up my freezer.

Lots of good cheese too. Goat cheese, organic feta cheese, various others. Had some lovely aged and thus dark orange Gouda from the Netherlands recently - outstanding.

Back
Top Bottom