New Mattress

SumDay

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Oy, buying a new mattress is much harder than buying a new car, and only slightly less expensive. :facepalm:

We've settled on a Sleep Number (this will be our second one - we are very pleased) with an adjustable base and split mattress so each of us can have our head & feet just exactly how we want them. One less thing to argue about, if you know what I mean.

Anyone have an M7 Sleep Number bed? We're leaning towards that one, but would like to hear some real life opinions.

Saw one on QVC today that was much less expensive, but it's not exactly the same. It has cool gel memory foam above the baffles, and was like laying on a cloud. All that was missing were the Angels singing, and for the $$ they should have thrown those in too. ;)

I don't have a Sleep Number, but always wondered how well they work.

What makes you have to replace a Sleep Number bed? Does your air wear out? :LOL:

No, our air is still good. :dance:

We're replacing because we need a larger bed in the guest room (can't make 2 people sleep in a full). AND, DH has some health issues that will be helped by the adjustable base on this new sleep number bed, i.e., he can have his head, and/or feet elevated, almost as good as a hospital bed would provide.

But thanks for asking about our air.

We have a sleep number king size and love it.

Be interested to know about the warranty on these beds.
Also, any idea on the number of years you can expect them to last before--Losing their air or numbers?;)

For me, sleep number means sleeping about 6 hours/night:facepalm:. That said, I have always been curious of how folks liked these beds. We bought a piece of memory foam from Costco to place on our mattress, and it has been very comfortable.

We have an early model king Sleep Number. Got it in 2000 and were happy with it until about a year ago. It is leaking air on both sides and in running a test have determined that it is in the pump itself. Haven't done anything about it yet. Wife is leaning toward a new bed but I don't think 12 years is too old for a bed. I think what we have just needs some fixing. About seven years ago Sleep Number replaced both bladders free of charge due to some defect they discovered. I think if I get up off my butt and call them, they will replace the pump also.

I think my wife messed the bed up also by introducing a 4" piece of foam on top. She likes it but I can't see any difference. Momma happy-everybody happy!

We've never had a bed we really liked since our 70's style waterbed decades ago. Since then we've had the following mattresses (all Kings):
  • Hybrid baffled waterbed/innerspring
  • Basic inner spring
  • Luxury firm inner spring (Stearns & Foster)
  • Sleep Number
  • Latex Foam Natural (Savvy Rest)
We've basically tried everything except a TemperPedic type (concerned it would be too hot & permanent imprint/sag - we've heard mixed claims on the latter).

We had the Sleep Number for almost 10 years, never really worked for us because we're side and stomach sleepers. What we liked, being able to adjust the sides separately is a huge plus, I like firmer than DW. If you sleep on your back, I would think the Sleep Number would be almost ideal. If you sleep on your side, I would often wake up with a sore shoulder and numb arm. If you sleep on your stomach, it's like sleeping in a hammock and you back aches when you wake up. You might say increase the air pressure, but that makes side sleeping even more painful, and I tend to move from stomach to side.

Sorry for rambling, I think the Sleep Number would be outstanding for a couple who both sleep on their backs. If you sleep on your side, or change positions a lot while asleep, it might not be as good for you.

Last edited:
Many of the Radisson hotels have the sleep number beds. I was curious how the sleep number beds were so stayed at a Radisson during a business trip. Maybe I got stuck with a dud but I didn't like it at all. I have a latex mattress with a memory foam topper and very happy with it.

We've never had a bed we really liked since our 70's style waterbed decades ago.
Are those still available? That sounds like an inexpensive choice compared with most of what is sold today. I hated our waterbed back in those days because I am such a light sleeper. Even the baffles didn't help. A sleep number bed probably would have been ideal for us back then.

As for me, I have a conventional Sealy that is just the right firmness for me, and it is everything I want in a mattress. I haven't ever considered a sleep number mattress or slept on one.

Earlier this year, I was on the verge of buying a Tempurpedic Rhapsody, though, along with new bedroom furniture to support it in the most ideal fashion. Seriously, I had already shopped, tested, and chosen both - - and the total would have been around $10K. However, at the last minute I decided to try identifying the problem with my present set-up and fixing exactly that and no more, to see if that worked for me. Basically my mattress was lumpy and sank in the middle, and it was too low. So, I bought a new $59 metal bedframe from Amazon to replace the old, bent frame with one wheel missing and no center support. I didn't think it would work, but figured it was worth a $59 gamble. Much to my surprise, shock, and pleasure, this new metal frame fixed everything. It is mind-boggling to think that it could have made such a huge difference. Since I don't need anything better than a metal bedframe to support the bed, I don't need a new bedroom set, either. My mattress now is perfect for me and feels like heaven to me. It actually feels better than the Rhapsody to me, now. So, I spent $59 instead of $10K and I sleep like a baby.

Last edited:
I have a Tempurpedic instead of a sleep number, but I just had to chime in because you are going to love the adjustable base! It's one of those things that, now that I have, I wonder how I ever lived without. Every single time I climb into bed, I think of how much I love the adjustable base. Sorry that I can't help with the sleep number question, though!

We've had some sort of Sealy pillow-gel top mattress for about 4 years and I'm pretty sure my lower back has hurt just about every morning since the 30 day sleep guarantee expired. I hate buying beds! I was thinking about the sleep number but I'm afraid to pull the trigger because I've had such bad luck with everything else we've tried. Sorry I'm no help to the OP but maybe I'll learn something from everyone else here. Here's a stupid question... what exactly is this adjustable base that a couple of you have referred to? Thanks!

We bought a king sized split base adjustable sleep number bed in April this year. It has a 20 yr warranty. Love it. It also has a massager for each side of the bed. The mattress is layered foam over the air coils with a thin memory foam as the top layer. It was $8.4k. We looked at tempurpedic but in the few minutes I layed on one, I got too warm. The Tempurpedic was priced at about $10k.

We bought a couple of mattresses from Denver Mattress Company last year. One for the master bedroom and one for the motorhome. We've been very happy with both.

I have a Tempurpedic instead of a sleep number, but I just had to chime in because you are going to love the adjustable base! It's one of those things that, now that I have, I wonder how I ever lived without. Every single time I climb into bed, I think of how much I love the adjustable base. Sorry that I can't help with the sleep number question, though!

I think this is the route we're going to be taking pretty soon....

I echo the remark about being side & stomach sleepers so not being so compatible with the sleep number beds. We have tried them in a couple of hotels and if we slept on our backs all night, they would be perfect.

I've never known anyone who sleeps as well as my cat.

Attachments

• Bobby2.JPG
    Bobby2.JPG
    440.1 KB · Views: 3
Great timing for this thread. We have not been happy with the king latex mattress we bought when we moved into this house (2+ years ago). I bought a "fluffy" topper for it which helped me somewhat, but DH is still unable to be consistently comfortable (he has some physical issues that complicate the situation). I was thinking that Sleep Number might be a good solution, but we are both side sleepers so the comments here seem to indicate it might not be. He will not consider Tempurpedic or any other memory foams due to heat. So I can't help, but I'll be reading this thread with great interest (it's even more interesting than the dental floss thread!!!)

Regarding Sleep Number beds- the original company that made these beds is called Comfortaire. After awhile, the partners split the company and one partner left to make the higher priced Sleep Number beds. We actually saved a lot by getting the Comfortaire version and it's basically the same bed.

I got my new Sealy Queen 2 weeks ago and it's simply fantastic! My 'old' one was only around since mid-20 08 but 'my side' was already soften up and became somewhat unleveled. I figured it was about time for a new one. The top quilting gives just the right softness while the extra firm coils (which I specified) provide the perfect support for my back. I honestly haven't been sleeping that well for years. I must say this is the best investment (for $399) I had even made. And absolutely without regret. Period.
However, it felt a bit narrow on the first couple of nights (as my last one was a full King Size) but got used to it much quicker than I thought. After all, I'm no longer married and Queen Size is indeed big enough for me and my dog. My doctor says a firm bed is always much better for the back and I perfectly agreed. I would never recommend anyone to take the comfort option, really. I'm constantly getting back pains so I actually need very firm bed for lumber support. But unfortunately, my former husbands (now deceased) all preferred softer bed and I had never insisted. In retrospect, I should have. Anyway, just glad I finally got it right - despite 25 years too late. Highly recommended!

I pulled the trigger and ordered a king split adjustable base Sleep Number from QVC last Sunday. Saved us about $1,500 over what the "sale" price was in the S.N. store.

It came today. OMG. 8 boxes big enough to contain human bodies. DH is just thrilled. not... I'll bet the UPS man was ready to spit this morning.

And, panacea said:
I was thinking about the sleep number but I'm afraid to pull the trigger because I've had such bad luck with everything else we've tried. Sorry I'm no help to the OP but maybe I'll learn something from everyone else here. Here's a stupid question... what exactly is this adjustable base that a couple of you have referred to? Thanks!

FYI, QVC allows you to sleep on it for 30 days and then send it back if you don't like it. Sleep Number has a similar deal, but I believe you can only return it for in store credit. I'd rather have my cash back. But then you have to keep those 8 body-sized boxes around for 30 days so you can dismantle the sucker and package it back up. Just thought I'd mention.

Buyer pays the shipping, but it's better than being stuck with a very expensive bed that hurts your back for the next 20 years. YMMV. ;)

Back
Top Bottom