nextdoor.com

nextdoor has one or two people that live in the neighborhood verify that you actually live where you say you live before you can join

FB isn't that strict, it depends on the group moderator

Oh! Thanks for the explanation. Yes, of course we have a responsible group moderator who lives here and knows everyone. This has never been an issue at all.

Get verified:confused: I'm not sure what you mean. I haven't seen a single Facebook post that was made by an outsider, if that is what you mean. My neighborhood is small and extremely stable (most have lived here 50+ years), so that may be why it works for us.

Our neighborhood also uses a private Facebook group, no hurdles to jump through and only residents can join the private group. Only requirement is you have to be on Facebook.

I thought so too. But if you Google nextdoor with your city-state or neighborhood (e.g "nextdoor Indianapolis IN - there are 566 Indy neighborhoods already online), it shows all active neighborhoods near that city. Pretty complete. They claim there are already thousands of neighborhood forums established.

Thanks! I actually already tried that with no results but when I copied your format exactly it came up with 48 hits. None of these are actually close to me so at least I know I'm not missing out on anything.

DW and I have used it for a couple years. Seems harmless enough. I've only posted one time and I don't think she ever has, but we frequently discuss topics that come up. I've yet to see any feuds or bullying, and political stuff gets quickly moderated. I get a daily email summary of new posts and click if something interests me. I probably click on one or two topics every day. Our local police department uses it for official announcements. The City has also used it for official announcements about upcoming street closures/repairs/timing/etc, which I find to be very useful. I'm not sure how effectively that could be accomplished with a Facebook group.

I'm curious what you mean by this.

I don't see it as any different than my use of this board. I choose not to get notifications of new posts on either. So I read both just when I choose and can read either on computer or phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Item: Quickly get the word out about nighborhood break ins, lost dogs etc.

This forum I look at random days and times.

Based on this thread I signed up only to find that I'm the only one in my neighborhood or even nearby. sigh.

Based on this thread I signed up only to find that I'm the only one in my neighborhood or even nearby. sigh.

yeah it kinda only works if you have a bunch of neighbors on it...maybe more will join

There are a number of neighborhoods shown on their map in my area, but none of them include my street.

yeah it kinda only works if you have a bunch of neighbors on it...maybe more will join

Invite them to join as my neighbor did me and I others. My understanding is that's the only way...you need an invite from one of your neighbors, although that may have changed in the past years.

While I have never heard of nextdoor.com we have something similar here... Front Porch Forum... you can join your town and adjoining towns... posts typically are people who have stuff available for sale or free... people looking for stuff.... local political issues... etc.

I post there occasionally and get an email summarizing posts every day from my town and an adjoining town every day. Our towns are probably like your neighborhoods (1,500 and 3,000, population respectively).

I was an early adopter when our local police starting using it. I think it's a pretty effective tool and is worthwhile. I am our neighborhood lead (aka moderator) and am able to control the unruly folks without too much issue. We did have an issue for a while with folks posting commercial stuff (Realtor listings,etc) but I have been very aggressive on keeping that at bay.

Bottom line, I like it and have yet to see any ramifications (unsolicited emails, robot robocalls, etc.) that would dissuade me from using it.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

We have nextdoor in our neighborhood and it is quite active. Only a few times have the moderators had to step in and curtail a thread

It is a great way for information sharing. You post that you are looking for a service provider (doctor, lawyer, indian chief) and you will get at least a dozen or so options posted in reply.

It seems that a lot of neighbors that I might not talk with routinely have an electrician, plumber, painter, etc that I have called upon and been VERY satisfied

Fb isn't policed as well as nextdoor - you actually have to live in the neighborhood to get verified

So how do you get verified, I'm not keen to publicly post my name and address so someone can verify me.
Am I able to "see" who is already on it, to select who could verify me ?

Seems like a chicken and egg issue.

So how do you get verified, I'm not keen to publicly post my name and address so someone can verify me.

I don't remember. I think someone has to verify you when you sign up.

So how do you get verified.......

The moderators (some of your neighbors) confirm you live in the neighborhood. If one of them knows you, that's all it takes. If none know you, they ask other neighbors if they know you. Might even drop by your address to confirm who you are if no one knows you. Mainly an issue for folks that are new to the neighborhood.

Bottom line is if you want to be anonymous to your neighbors, this application is not for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I had concern when I signed up about being spammed or passing out my phone #. Opted to have a postcard sent to me with a code I then entered on the website. Since the postcard was sent to this address that was pretty good verification that I was local. OTOH, when I sent invites to a few others they didn't need any such verification.

I signed up about a month ago and then got spammed daily about having to start one for my street. I got a little countdown that said "10 more days to activate MY STREET group". To do this you have to email or postal mail your neighbors asking them to join. After the 10 days passed, I started getting another round with a different number of days until the activation will expire.

BUT if you don't do anything you can still post to the adjacent neighborhoods. One is within 100 ft. of my street.

I did nothing to get verified other than use my real name and give my email address and postal address.

I joined Nextdoor in our down south neighborhood this year, as well as in our Midwest neighborhood. I think the utility of the app depends upon the size of the city in which one lives.
Up north, we live in a town of ~65k people. There are not any other Nextdoorers within a mile of where we live. In our winter neighborhood, however, located in a large metropolitan area of about 500k, about a third of the residents in our area are members. Nextdoor serves as a valuable messaging board about petty crime, car theft, burglaries, etc. that would probably not be covered by the local newspaper. The moderators are good at keeping respect between posters, and it is an invaluable resource for recommendations for handymen, doctors, dentists, etc.

I signed up, but don't have a lot of use for it. The most objectionable stuff on it is propaganda from the dirty/insider-run city council, but the rest mostly seems to be harmless fluff. I don't remember what I had to do to get verified, but right after I did so I changed my name to a pseudonym. I an not crazy about having to even have my street displayed, but I don't post personal information (or much of anything) and if worse comes to worse I have two dogs and live in a "make my day" state. I suppose if I do not start getting something out of it by the end of the year I will see if I can cancel my account.

If there is an issue, I take some beer over and spend the afternoon chatting. Seems to work for our neighborhood of 5 families!

Back
Top Bottom