NFL: 2017 Season

The only saving grace is that the Pats have a good history of finding guys to step up to the challenge and I think it likely that one of the other WRs will step up his game to help fill the void.... puts more pressure on Amendola and Hogan to have a stellar seasons.

Signing Brandon Cooks from the Saints in the off season was a great move by the Pats. As you said they have the history to finds ways to win as they did last year when Gronk went down in the middle of the season. If they don't lose Brady they will always be in contention...

Last edited:
puts more pressure on Amendola and Hogan to have a stellar seasons.

... and Cooks and Mitchell and maybe Austin Carr and a healthy Gronkowski and a bevy of pass-catching RBs out of the backfield.

It's unfortunate, but the Pats are far better positioned to lose Edelman than they would have been last year.

These pre-season games might not count, officially, but those season-ending injuries sure do. Seahawks lost a promising O-lineman in Fant, now the Pats' have lost WR Edelman for the season, also due to a torn ACL. Ouch!
Edelman is a key player, mentally and physically, I hate to see him out. When we heard, DW and I both said :eek: out loud. But Brady/Pats have successfully adjusted to losing key players before (e.g. Gronk). I don't wish injuries on any player/team - so I hope he recovers fully in time.

Last edited:
Let the Games Begin!

I know I'm raring to go for the regular season games to begin! It officially starts this Thursday--with defending SB Champions NE vs. KC.

I've also been keeping an eye on the NFL website to see when it posts its Week 1 Power Rankings, so that I can note them here. Maybe tomorrow.

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Been playing in a fantasy league for 4 years now and it's pretty fun, took first place my first year but then came in last or almost last the past 3 years, drafting tomorrow

Lions will win it all. Hahahahahahahaha. Words that haven't been seriously spoken in 60 years.

And unfortunately, they're not being taken seriously now. I've had season tickets to the Lions since 2008 - the year they went 0-16. When I got them, I thought I was buying at a low point and that the team would improve. Boy, that first year was PAINFUL. Since then, they have gotten better and have been actually fun to watch. Most unfortunate is that I have not belief they will be a contender and watching from my comfortable couch and big screen TV is much more enjoyable than going to the games. With the Lions, the best thing to have is a DVR. That way you can watch the game in about half the time and that's about all I'm will to give this sorry team going forward.

My old boss is a Packers fan. I'll probably go to one of their games with him each year. It's a truck to Lambeau, but it's a fun weekend.

Oh and for pre-season games - 2008 was the year the Lions won all four pre-season games. So much for pre-season as a predictor of the regular season.

I have been waiting on the 2017 Season to start after the Falcons blew the Superbowl. So close... so close. But no second place trophies LOL.

The loss of Edelman cannot be overstated. I know NE always finds a way, but without Edelman in SB51, the Pats don't make that comeback. I know, Gronk is back but lets see if he can make it through the season.

I'm not concerned about the SB hangover, I'm more concerned with the change at OC. I still see the Falcons being in the mix at the end of the season. For the Division, I think Tampa will give us a run for it this year with the Panthers hoping the shake off the crap season from last year. The Saints are long shots but I never discount them.

As with every year, last year doesn't mean a thing, and staying healthy is key, especially as you get nearer to those last games.

The Pats made a great trade. Trading their third string QB to the Colts for a speed burner WR. I don't see the Falcons having much a chance this year. They made a lot of changes like firing the defensive coordinator and defensive coaches. (Wasn't the defense's fault in the SB... run the ball! lol)

Football will be a dud for me this year as I have zero expectation the Bears will be any good. Maybe they'll win 5 games at most :blush:. They definitely need a new coach and GM.

That was news to me... sorry to see Brissett go.... he has a lot of potential and could well be the Colt's starter until Andrew Luck is healthy. I hope it doesn't come back to bite the Pats.. I don't like the idea of going without a thrid-string QB even though I like Jimmy as Tom's backup.

The loss of Edelman cannot be overstated. I know NE always finds a way, but without Edelman in SB51, the Pats don't make that comeback. I know, Gronk is back but lets see if he can make it through the season.

Well, without Adam Vinatieri, the Pats don't win their first two Superbowls. Yet, they have five now.

The fortunate part is that Edelman's absence comes before the season starts so that they can adjust. (And they will.)

I'm not concerned about the SB hangover, I'm more concerned with the change at OC. I still see the Falcons being in the mix at the end of the season. For the Division, I think Tampa will give us a run for it this year with the Panthers hoping the shake off the crap season from last year. The Saints are long shots but I never discount them.

As with every year, last year doesn't mean a thing, and staying healthy is key, especially as you get nearer to those last games.

I think the Falcons will certainly be in the mix again. Not so much Tampa/Panthers/Saints. Should be an easy division for Atlanta to win.

My fantasy football league just had its 30th draft. 7 of the 10 members from my high school class are still in the league. We picked up 3 people along the way when someone dropped out.

The first draft was in 1988. I'm sure there are people here that started in the late 70s and early 80s.

I cheer for the Minnesota Vikings, so fantasy football is about the only thing that keeps me interested. 2017 should be an interesting season as always.

My fantasy football league just had its 30th draft. 7 of the 10 members from my high school class are still in the league. We picked up 3 people along the way when someone dropped out.

The first draft was in 1988. I'm sure there are people here that started in the late 70s and early 80s.

I cheer for the Minnesota Vikings, so fantasy football is about the only thing that keeps me interested. 2017 should be an interesting season as always.

1st game is against the Saints. Go Vikings!!!!!! :dance:

This NE-KC game has been quite the battle tonight.

I've been playing in the same league for 27 years. I sure miss being the only person in the league that knew about the internet. I won the first 3 Super Bowls before the other people caught on. But it is a lot better getting real time scores instead of having to wait for the Washington Post to come out Monday morning to be able to use the box scores to figure out the scoring.

I'll make my surprise prediction for the season. The Rams may not win the Super Bowl, but they'll surprise everyone and win their Division and make the playoffs. Go Rams!

This NE-KC game has been quite the battle tonight.

Yes, good game but KC ultimately spanked them.... recall what happened after the same thing happened in 2014! Many Patriots did not do their job tonight.

Happy for Alex Smith... he looked really sharp tonight and that Hunt kid looked great after a shaky first play where he fumbled.

I did not watch the game.

The first week is the best time for upsets as teams are still finding their identity then.

Yes, good game but KC ultimately spanked them.... recall what happened after the same thing happened in 2014! Many Patriots did not do their job tonight.

Happy for Alex Smith... he looked really sharp tonight and that Hunt kid looked great after a shaky first play where he fumbled.
I was very surprised and happy for Smith. He's been reading this is his last year all summer. I guess he's not ready to retire on other's terms yet.

Andy Reid, wow. Did he look a little different! Hope he keeps the weight off.

I fell asleep in the third quarter, looks like that might have been a good thing. But I told DW before the kickoff that Brady and the Pats wouldn't be motivated with so many talking heads saying they're going to dominate this year. Now that they've lost their home opener, after an over the top pregame display - the analysts can go back to criticizing the Pats (as the haters expect), and they'll play better. They seem to play best when the talking heads say they're losers. We just need someone on TV say Tom is too old, time to retire again...

Last edited:
I was at the game last night and the atmosphere was electric at the ceremony and at the start of the game but then the fans went quite in the second half as if they sensed the attitude of the players was deflated. Last year's team used Brady's suspension as a motivator and perhaps now they can use this defeat at their home opener as a motivator.

Surprisingly I was calm and nonchalant about the loss. KC played a heck of a game and deserved to win and I wouldn't be surprised at all if these two teams meet again in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Hoping the dolphins have a good year. Jets are gonna be the worst team in the history of football. They are 1000-1 odds to win the Super Bowl.

Here come my Bills, 17th rebuilding year in a row.
Hope we can at least beat the Jets.

Back
Top Bottom