Night workers

smr91481

Recycles dryer sheets
I don't see many posts from the middle of the night around here… Am I the only sucker that works nights?

There are 405 people viewing the forum at the moment, and 49 of them are members.

But then, some of us are retired... :)

I'm with you but only for 52 more night shifts:) After that the only reason I'll be up at this hour is because I took a long nap and I can't sleep!

Hard as it may be to believe, some people do not post from work. We are actually working, ya know, that thing you get paid to do? when we are at work.

I spent many years working every shift imaginable, including 12 on, 12 off, 7 days a week.

I don't see many posts from the middle of the night around here… Am I the only sucker that works nights?

Amethyst said:
Hard as it may be to believe, some people do not post from work. We are actually working, ya know, that thing you get paid to do? when we are at work.

I spent many years working every shift imaginable, including 12 on, 12 off, 7 days a week.

Ha! I have a good bit of down time at work. Not much to do for 1-1.5 hours at a time while I'm loading or unloading the truck. That's when I get all of my reading done here.

I do nights on occasion. About to do 7 in a row. I get 7 off afterwards but spend the first 3 as a zombie.

What is W*rk:confused::confused:??
I vaguely recall having to go SOMEWHERE every day for something. Oh!! and there were those things... I think they were called "staff meetings" ... or staph infections... something like that.

Whatever. OFF to another retired adventure!!!!!!!!

My employer blocks many websites and bans cell phones in the plant. I can access this site but don't. Why give them ammo to fire me?

I worked 2nd and 3rd shift a great deal when I first started working. 3 rd shift was nice. After work we used to go golf around the same time the "old timers" did :D 2nd shift I always felt like I missing out on something. Now I dont work any shift. :dance:

As with a couple of others, while I work evenings I don't have access here while at work.

So I read books instead. Amazon.com loves me for that after I exhausted what I wanted to read from the library.

I worked 2nd and 3rd shift a great deal when I first started working. 3rd shift was nice.
Given the option of between 2nd & 3rd shifts in my early employed years, I perferred 3rd.

3rd shift was more like the normal day shift cycle of work-off-sleep cycle.

I would leave w*rk at 7am, "do my stuff" (as normal day cycle folks would do), followed by a sleep cycle.

When I was on 2nd shift, I rarely saw my family. They were home/awake while I was at w*rk, and asleep when my "off time" was (could not just go home and go to sleep - too "keyed up" from w*rk).

Just my simple POV. Of course, since it's now just DW/me and we're both retired, any "cycle" means nothing at all. It's good to be old :cool: ...

I've worked rotating shift for over half of my 25 years at MegaCorp as did my husband (now retired). No one really understands the lifestyle/challenges of shift work like a fellow shiftworker.
After set of 12 hour shifts my husband had a beer at home, the start of his "weekend" in the middle of the week. I chastised him for having the beer in the backyard..especially at 9am...and sure enough nosy neighbour Mrs. A soon had great tidbit to augment her daily gossip. Why is it the la-di-da types can drink wine/orange juice Mimosa but the shift-worker with the 9 am beer is looked upon with disdain?

Why is it the la-di-da types can drink wine/orange juice Mimosa but the shift-worker with the 9 am beer is looked upon with disdain?
Heck, I currently drink my wine before noon (being retired). I'm following the tradition of my faternal grandfather (back in the 50's, that was also retired) that did the same thing. BTW, I drink no "spirits" of any kind, after "high noon" :angel: .

Some may look at me in disdain, but for me? I'm only following the tradition of those that came before me :LOL: ...

Last edited:
I guess Mr. A. having a 9 a.m. Mimosa might bring out a little "chastisement" in me, but I'd do it where nobody else could hear :D

Honestly, when I came home from whatever weird shift I was working back in the day, it was all I could do to keep my eyes open in the car, and brush my teeth before hitting the sack. I'd envy anybody who had time and energy left for drinking :angel:

I I chastised him for having the beer in the backyard..especially at 9am...and sure enough nosy neighbour Mrs. A soon had great tidbit to augment her daily gossip. Why is it the la-di-da types can drink wine/orange juice Mimosa but the shift-worker with the 9 am beer is looked upon with disdain?

I used to do rotating shifts and I believe I could only do it because I was still young - 12 hour shifts at one point (and the communte added an extra 1.5 hours). It didn't matter how many hours I slept - I felt tired all the time. Kind of like being on jet lag all the time.

When I'm posting from here at 8 PM in my time zone, for most of the rest of you it's the middle of the night.

A friend used to work the midshift for years (postal sorting facility) and enjoyed being able to run after-work errands in the morning.

He had also seen a talk-show host claiming that one out of every three stay-at-home wives would have an adulterous affair while their husbands were at work on the day shift. My friend always wanted to do more research on the subject, but he said he never got any further than the third house...

image-2036822490.jpg

Sometimes "working" at night isn't so bad. I get a lot of reading done.

I haven't worked night shift since leaving megacorp. Actually got more work done though, the pointy haired people weren't around to interfere and no meetings were scheduled. A 12hr night shift gets really long especially when waiting for someone else to finish their part of the job before you can start yours.

I was "lurking" around here back then.

Different time zone. I'm posting while having breakfast at my desk.

Although my job is a "day" job, working very late is pretty common.:(

It's 5am here right now, does that count as middle of the night if I tell you I haven't yet hit the sack yet? Haven't worked in years, and DW and I tend to stay up "all night" and sleep during the "daylight" hours... hmm...

Night worker here. My schedule is approximately 12 noon to 3 am in the morning. Yep, a 15 hour work day. Five days a week. The 15 hours does include 2 hours of commuting, so the actual work day is only 13 hours. The good news is that the job is NOT computer programming. ( I used to be a programmer, but now am a happy blue collar dude)

My concert ushering job over the summer is usually 5:00 pm to 10:30 or 11:30 pm which suites me just fine. The only issue is how to eat enough for dinner at 3:30 or 4:00 pm to last until 11:30 and then when I get home so late I'm hungry but don't want to eat something too heavy. It's tempting to pick up something easy on the way home like a take-out salad.

This isn't every day, it's 2 or 3 times a week at the most.

Night worker here. My schedule is approximately 12 noon to 3 am in the morning. Yep, a 15 hour work day. Five days a week. The 15 hours does include 2 hours of commuting, so the actual work day is only 13 hours. The good news is that the job is NOT computer programming. ( I used to be a programmer, but now am a happy blue collar dude)

I'm an unhappy "blue collar dude". I almost passed out from exhaustion at my new job on friday. I used to work straight nights but now I rotate every week. I hope I adjust well because i'm going to need lots of rest.

Anyone know of a desk job that doesn't require a collge degree?

Anyone know of a desk job that doesn't require a collge degree?
Not exactly a desk job, but anyone with a commercial drivers license can get a very good paying job in the Texas "oil patch". Actually many of the companies will help you get your CDL if you don't have it, and offer a signing bonus to boot. Our local school districts are begging for bus drivers as many of their regulars have taken much higher paying jobs a few miles down the road.

This is a year old but most of the information is still accurate: Need work? South Texas Oilfield hiring like crazy!

Back
Top Bottom