Nomad's Internet

Just keep in mind right now at least Starlink is geo-locked to your location...so not useful yet for RVers

Do you mean for availability yes for now, but Starlink doesn't care if you are mobile, it's just can you get a signal?

@Koolau, Re security I don't worry too much about it when using public networks. I travel with my phone and a Google tablet, neither of which have ever been used to connect to banks, brokerage, or other critical accounts and neither ever will be. The computer I use for those tasks is moved to my gun safe when we're headed out on a trip.

Both the phone and the tablet are at risk of loss or theft, possibly with higher probability than wifi compromise. That is the most important reason why they are "sterile" of any critical account information.

I'm not too concerned about using my phone/tablet. If the tablets ever get lost, I can put them in lost mode so they get remotely wiped out. If someone is able to figure out my 6 digit pin or bypass FaceID, they still need to use FaceID to login via my banking/stock apps. If a PIN attempt fails, then iOS increases the length of time between each attempt to deter someone from randomly brute-forcing the PIN.

It's important to use good passwords that are unique and to enable 2FA. I also have alerts whenever any transaction happens on my accounts.

I'm not too concerned about using my phone/tablet. If the tablets ever get lost, I can put them in lost mode so they get remotely wiped out. If someone is able to figure out my 6 digit pin or bypass FaceID, they still need to use FaceID to login via my banking/stock apps. If a PIN attempt fails, then iOS increases the length of time between each attempt to deter someone from randomly brute-forcing the PIN.

It's important to use good passwords that are unique and to enable 2FA. I also have alerts whenever any transaction happens on my accounts.
Sure, there are ways to reduce the risk. But abstention from financial activities when away from home works fine for me. What do you need with all those portable logins and passwords?

Sure, there are ways to reduce the risk. But abstention from financial activities when away from home works fine for me. What do you need with all those portable logins and passwords?

I'm sure that's true for most "vacations." We often visit the mainland for months at a time. It's almost certain we'll need to do "something" financial - though we usually do it over the phone. Yeah, it's a matter of the amount of time you are actually traveling so YMMV.

I mean it works only at the location you used when signing up...for now.

It says you need to stay within your assigned internet cell for Beta..curious to see what happen when the service area gets bigger...Imagine if you are a snowbird and can make it portable..

We are squarely within the beta area...didn't sign up for beta we were waiting to see how the dish performs in extreme winter conditions.

We are watching a lot of you tube vids about Starlink. We saw a guy take his dish camping but he must have still been within the home cell area.

Last edited:
For more then one residence I'm hearing lots of buzz for Starlink, they are launching satellites constantly and expanding the service area...

Same here. Elon Musk's SpaceX has been and is launching more and more mini-satellites to add to the Starlink fleet. These are "low-orbit" orbs, set at altitudes of a few hundred miles, as compared to Hughes or Vianets satellites at altitudes of several thousand. The low altitude orbits allow a lot less latency of signals, and a lot faster download speeds.

Back
Top Bottom