Nominate the book cover for "The Military Guide"

After three months of (what for me is) extraordinary patience, I e-mailed the text of the pocket guide to the publisher and inquired on the status of the manuscript.

Impact Publications says that the editing is nearly done and the typesetting is about to begin. (I'm just happy that the pocket guide wasn't immediately shot back to be rewritten along with a gazillion manuscript changes. Woo-hoo!) Of course when the galleys are ready for proof it'll be interesting to see if either product resembles anything we wrote. I think I pretty much gave up control of the content when I signed the contract.

I've sent along the pictures & ideas in this thread (and the social group thread) to see what works for the publisher's guidelines. Personally I'm leaning toward the beach scenes (especially the bootprints morphing into footprints) and the beach chair. I'm trying to be inclusive of all services, ranks, & genders (or at least non-specific) so some of the ideas get pretty crowded on execution. A good cover would work on both the 6"x9" paperback and the 4"x5" pocket guide. But now it's at the mercy of the publisher's style requirements and graphics artists.

Impact is putting together a new catalog featuring the book and the pocket guide. They're still working on "mid-2011" with the military-exchange distributor so hopefully the schedule will firm up in another month or two.

I'm going to contact a few of you for jacket blurbs. These will come from the rank & file, not the usual military celebrity VIPs. (I can only imagine a flag officer's reaction to such a request.) We'll figure out how those fit on the cover or the inside pages.

I've asked the publisher to give me 50 galley copies for proofreading. I'll distribute those among the social group members, as well as a few of you who came aboard later in the process but who represent the type of customers we're chasing. The idea is for your eagle eyes to catch the factual & attribution errors before I embarrass myself in first-edition print. I'm not sure how best to distribute the copies, but I'm hoping that Impact will give me a number of "free book" codes that I can pass along to you for ordering off their website. (I certainly don't want to do a bunch of media mailings out of a box in my garage.) I may not get enough copies for the whole group, so if you decide to take a copy then please commit to giving it a good hard scrub for the sake of those who don't get one.

I've already loaded up the blog posts for this week, so I'll put more of this up on the blog next week (see my profile for the link). The latest post attracted a comment from Bill Birnbaum, whose "Adventure Retirement" blog includes a year in South America and a comment that he applied to join the Peace Corps at age 64. One of our other prolific E-R.org member bloggers has also commented on Bill's posts...

Well, that was fast. Either Impact Publications' graphic artist has been reading this thread, or they'd already been looking at some ideas and used our nominations to narrow the field.

The covers for the book and pocket guide have been chosen. As soon as Impact gives me the OK, I'll post the images here and on the blog/Facebook pages. In the meantime, I can say that they both most closely resemble Purron's beach-chair image in post #20... but even nicer.

Better yet there are no geezer surfers, sailboat captains, Corona beer bottles, or winding country roads.

Best of all I think they leap out from the bookshelf. Whether people like them or hate them, they will evoke a reaction!

How exciting! I look forward to seeing the book covers.

I'm going to contact a few of you for jacket blurbs. These will come from the rank & file, not the usual military celebrity VIPs. (I can only imagine a flag officer's reaction to such a request.) We'll figure out how those fit on the cover or the inside pages.
Count me (us) in if you are short of helpers. :D

No military service for me. Mr Boston is a disabled vet and heavily involved in the American Legion community.

Nords, here is a somewhat-on-topic article that you might find interesting:
So, not only did Dick Cavett answer his own question but he got an entire [-]deadline[/-] column out of it, eh? Well, I'm pretty sure he's not writing for the paychecks & royalties either.

If I was a starving author the first would have happened long before the second. I'd hate to do this under pressure, let alone for a living. Like TromboneAl says about jazz, writing is a career you have to save up for.

A favorite publishing technique for ruining years of hard work is to fumble getting the book into stores until after its limited “shelf life” has expired and it’s all too late...
The biggest reason for going with Impact Publications is their distribution channel into military exchanges... Navy Exchanges, AAFES, MCX, even the Coast Guard... and worldwide. When I was a self-publishing wannabe I quickly learned that the only way to get into the exchanges was to go with a publisher who was already doing that.

Well, another way would be to sell 50,000 copies of the book. It's probably a more successful strategy to go with the publisher first...

Thanks, everyone, for your nominations and patience on the covers for "The Military Guide" and the pocket guide. I've attached them below. I've also summarized the process (and the other nominations) over at the blog.

The book is being typeset as I post this, and the pocket guide is next. Both are tentatively scheduled to roll their galleys off the presses in February/March for proofreading. Impact Publications has also posted my author's biography on their website. Let me know if you see something that needs to be added or changed. Their webmaster's been very helpful.

Impact is releasing a new catalog in the next week or two that will include both the book and the pocket guide.

Whether you love the covers or hate them, feel free to spread the word about them!

Thanks again to all the blog visitors-- last Sunday had 112 hits, an all-time high on top of the busiest week so far...

Attachments

• Military Guide cover.jpg
    Military Guide cover.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Military guide pocket guide cover.jpg
    Military guide pocket guide cover.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 7
Very nice Nords. The first one makes me think of Al and Lena:) Both suggest a pleasant and financially independent lifestyle.

Looking forward to getting my hands on a command's worth of pocket guides for financial management training!!!

Good job, Nords!

Will you offer autographed copies? I'd like to get a couple, one for my nephew on active duty, and a retired officer friend who's struggling a bit in the current economy.

Good job, Nords!
Will you offer autographed copies? I'd like to get a couple, one for my nephew on active duty, and a retired officer friend who's struggling a bit in the current economy.
Thanks, and I'd be happy to!

My signature isn't worth anything. The Navy has thousands of examples of it on checklists, logbooks, legal investigations, and other administrivia over a 20-year period...

Nords, was just perusing your blog and website. Beautifully done. Funny, that sewage story.

By the way thanks for the honorable mention, re: bootprints. The idea actually came from my days in the Aleutians. There, one day beachcombing on the Bering sea side, by Port Moeller, found a set of fresh and very big bear paw prints. Could still make out the claw marks as if they were in plaster mold.

Then I walked alongside those bear tracks, doubled back and took a picture. Unfortunately I could not find the pic, it is buried with hundreds of others. I'm getting slowly set up to scan them and slides as well. If and when found will post.

As an aside, in the eastern Aleutians, when giving directions never say bear to the right etc. since upon hearing the bear word everyone whips out their 44 magnums, and can hear them getting cocked nearly in unison.

Congratulations Nords, and I love the book covers! :flowers:

Nords, was just perusing your blog and website. Beautifully done.
Thanks, I've learned a lot!

Funny, that sewage story.
Some long memories out there, too. I've been hearing from a number of long-time Pearl Harbor homesteaders who know exactly which characters were in the story. They've all said either "Yeah, that was a classic!" or "Oh, so that's what happened..."

My daughter had just subscribed to the blog last weekend, so that was the first blog post she's read in her e-mail. While she was home last month we had a little talk about how her personal hygiene & laundry standards contrast with those of the typical submariner, and what's gonna have to change if she wants to be earning submarine pay. Turns out she's thought all these years that the phrase "submariner shower" was a joke.

I wonder when I'll hear from her again.

Thanks, everyone, for your nominations and patience on the covers for "The Military Guide" and the pocket guide. I've attached them below. I've also summarized the process (and the other nominations) over at the blog.

The book is being typeset as I post this, and the pocket guide is next. Both are tentatively scheduled to roll their galleys off the presses in February/March for proofreading. Impact Publications has also posted my author's biography on their website. Let me know if you see something that needs to be added or changed. Their webmaster's been very helpful.

Impact is releasing a new catalog in the next week or two that will include both the book and the pocket guide.

Whether you love the covers or hate them, feel free to spread the word about them!

Thanks again to all the blog visitors-- last Sunday had 112 hits, an all-time high on top of the busiest week so far...

Dang ... I was going to suggest "Tango Mike Golf" to Financial Planning. LOL

How about this cover. You would sell more books:

Attachments

• 1194_580x.jpg
    1194_580x.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 2
So what is the next one going to be about?
Well, I'm open to suggestions, but I'm hardly getting started on this one and we have a long way to go before it's "done".

The real work begins when the manuscript is finished-- I expect to spend most of 2011 on marketing. I'd also like to work with the facilitators of the military's transition-assistance programs and the state veteran's agencies, although I haven't done anything yet. Somewhere in there could be a book tour of the nation's top 10 military bases and their exchanges, although I haven't done anything with that one yet either. Maybe the publisher or distributor could furnish the contacts, or maybe that's yet another one handled by the author. I'll have to ask Bob Clyatt how he did his book tour, but I'm pretty sure it didn't involve private jets or stretch limos.

Following the Clyatt/Kaderli example, the next book would be the second edition-- with more solutions to financial independence, more answers to "But whaddya DO all day?!?", and more personal stories from servicemembers & veterans. (Some of Impact's authors are on their 13th or 14th editions.) Maybe I'll write it, or maybe someone else wants to step up to the plate for their turn.

Blogging can fill every spare moment of your time. I have two pages of topic one-liners for new posts, and another page of search terms used by readers to find the blog. Fresh ideas roll in every day. I get a couple ideas a week just from the threads here. The nice thing about WordPress is that I can write them, schedule them in the posting hopper, and move on to the next topic. WordPress even has a utility designed to organize blog posts into a book.

Looks like you just gave me the subject line of another blog post... I'll have more on that in a week or two!

Well, I'm open to suggestions, but I'm hardly getting started on this one and we have a long way to go before it's "done".

I just didn't want you to become complacent in your new J*b. (I apologize for being a little premature.)

Back
Top Bottom