Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Noticed more people holding signs "need work or food"
Old 05-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Noticed more people holding signs "need work or food"

Then today I saw a whole family Dad, Mother and son. They had their sign "lost job, need food.." The son was obviously bored, ashamed and understandably unhappy. In the past I've seen a woman with child but never a whole family... welcome to the third world.

Gotta wonder how bad are things...Baltimore sure had a lot of boarded up buildings before the fires...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2015, 07:27 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm always puzzled that with all the billions spent each year on welfare, food stamps, EBT, Snap, Wic, and other things, coupled to relatively easy access to these programs how people still need to peddle on the streets. Food stamp distribution is at an all time high.

I always wonder: Have they sold their EBTs for drug money? Why haven't they entered 'the system'? Is this gravy money?

If "too proud" is the answer, standing on the median begging for money doesn't ring true.

Are they just scamming...begging and then driving off in their late model SUV? (seen that before)

With so many social benefits, especially for children, where does the money go and why aren't these people getting any of it? Or are they?
Old 05-03-2015, 07:48 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I saw one of those family's the OP described in this area(not a big homeless area, too far out in the burbs) last year sometime. I had a ticket from taco bell for 5 bucks maybe 10 as they screwed up an order a month prior. I stopped said here please take a free meal(the taco bell was across the street). Gentleman was either a great actor or genuinely grateful.

That said in areas of the city there are "homeless" pulling in nice money. One guy hangs outside an expensive shopping/eating area. In cooler days he's wearing a
~$350 Chiefs leather jacket. Ticked off fan gave it to him? That could be. Heck maybe he's got season tickets.

🐑
Old 05-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, all. Consensus is, that however well meaning, the thread direction was causing problems for us in enforcing our Community Rules (http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ork&page=rules).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Closed Thread