Odd Things You Have Noticed

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Nothing important in this thread, just an observation. Similar vain to "what did you do today" or "rant of the day."

So, what thing(s) have you noticed that you either 1) don't understand or 2) never noticed and thought it odd?

My example is what I have noticed at home. We live on a cul-de-sac in a pretty small neighborhood. We don't get a lot of traffic, but I have noticed that when people come in (and then exit) the cul de sac, they go in the opposite direction that they should. Instead of "staying right" and completing the circle to the left (or counter clockwise) they go in the opposite side. To me, I think this is incorrect. Outside the fact that they are technically driving on the wrong side of the road, I am curious as to what human nature makes this so prevalent. The human mind is an odd, odd thing. :D

OK, glad you read to the end. And yes, it's a pretty slow day around the house. :D:D:D

We live on a hill. There are sidewalks with steps on both sides. Most people prefer to walk on the uneven cobblestone road rather than take the steps.

Nothing important in this thread, just an observation. Similar vain to "what did you do today" or "rant of the day."

So, what thing(s) have you noticed that you either 1) don't understand or 2) never noticed and thought it odd?

My example is what I have noticed at home. We live on a cul-de-sac in a pretty small neighborhood. We don't get a lot of traffic, but I have noticed that when people come in (and then exit) the cul de sac, they go in the opposite direction that they should. Instead of "staying right" and completing the circle to the left (or counter clockwise) they go in the opposite side. To me, I think this is incorrect. Outside the fact that they are technically driving on the wrong side of the road, I am curious as to what human nature makes this so prevalent. The human mind is an odd, odd thing. :D

OK, glad you read to the end. And yes, it's a pretty slow day around the house. :D:D:D

Maybe they are from the UK :cool:, ever go into a UK roundabout with no traffic to follow, I've gone the wrong way :mad:

Many neighbors have their garage full of stuff, so they park the cars in the driveway. This goes on for years and years, the pile of stuff never goes away.

Related, is many neighbors have so many cars, etc. they cannot fit all on the driveway, so have to park the last vehicle across the end of the driveway. I think if they had a larger driveway to hold more than 3 or 4 cars, they would simply buy more cars to fill up the space.

Many neighbors have their garage full of stuff, so they park the cars in the driveway. This goes on for years and years, the pile of stuff never goes away.

Related, is many neighbors have so many cars, etc. they cannot fit all on the driveway, so have to park the last vehicle across the end of the driveway. I think if they had a larger driveway to hold more than 3 or 4 cars, they would simply buy more cars to fill up the space.
Agree. Sonetimes when I'm out walking of a garage door is open in shocked at all the junk. Our neighborhood requires minumum of a 2 car garage. Full to the brim. These are 3-4 bedroom homes owned by mostly youngish retirees and elderly.filling them up fir their heirs to enjoy?

We live on a cul-de-sac in a pretty small neighborhood. We don't get a lot of traffic, but I have noticed that when people come in (and then exit) the cul de sac, they go in the opposite direction that they should. Instead of "staying right" and completing the circle to the left (or counter clockwise) they go in the opposite side. To me, I think this is incorrect. Outside the fact that they are technically driving on the wrong side of the road, I am curious as to what human nature makes this so prevalent.

Circling the cul de sac in the clockwise direction was the general rule on the street where I grew up.

Our cul de sac was not symmetric, and neighbors on one side tended to park cars on the street in the cul de sac, exaggerating the asymmetry. This made circling the cul de sac much easier in the clockwise direction.

I'll bet if George Carlin were still alive he could make a skit out of that.

I've noticed that someone has a Location used that is so long and the field does not wrap. On this mobile screen it has odd effect on all messages displayed.

Probably due to lack of basements, this is so common in my neighborhood - even with mostly 3-car garages - that a neighbor commented that people thought nobody lived in our home, because "there's never any cars in the driveway."

Where I grew up, people did not park their cars in the driveway except to wash them.

I've always found it incongruous to see a neighborhood of very modest homes with expensive cars parked outside. Sometimes the house doesn't even have a garage.

Somebody told me ths is because lease payments are less than mortgage payments.

I've always found it incongruous to see a neighborhood of very modest homes with expensive cars parked outside. Sometimes the house doesn't even have a garage.

Somebody told me ths is because lease payments are less than mortgage payments.

Nah....a house is a place to live in, a fancy car is what you are seen in! :D

Same here.
We fill our 3 car garage with......3 cars. None of our friends do, plus no basements in FLA.

Yes, we have a neighbor on the corner with a four bedroom, two bathroom house with a nice basement and an attached two car garage. The garage is stuffed with stuff, the driveway has two cars and a third always parked on the street.

Our two car garage holds our two cars and our trash bins and bikes, lawn mower, various garden things, shovels, etc. The only time we had to park a car outside was last summer when we had our kitchen renovated and we had deliveries of things that had to be stored until installation.

As soon as we could we were back parking both cars in the garage.

Last edited:

Are they really driving on the wrong side of the road for the whole length of the street, or are they staying right, but then making a left turn when they get to the driveway they want? I do the latter. I make sure it is clear as I would for any left turn. It doesn't make sense for me to follow all the way around the cul de sac. In fact it seems more dangerous, especially if there are cars parked on the road. I may not see a car coming out of the driveway, or worse, a kid could come darting out between parked cars. I'd rather limit my exposure to those by only going as far as I need and making an easy left turn.

Am I missing something here?

Circling the cul de sac in the clockwise direction was the general rule on the street where I grew up.

Our cul de sac was not symmetric, and neighbors on one side tended to park cars on the street in the cul de sac, exaggerating the asymmetry. This made circling the cul de sac much easier in the clockwise direction.

Hmmm... Where I grew up on our cul de sac (which back then we called a dead end) we did the same as the OP. Not sure if this is a regional thing?
I grew up in the Northeast.

I’ll be the voice of dissent re the garages. Living in HCOL CA, a garage is valuable real estate! We have two large garages and have literally never parked in them. One is a workshop/home gym. The other is miscellaneous household storage. We could easily get our cars in it if we needed to, but I love walking in and seeing everything organized and spacious. :D

I’ll be the voice of dissent re the garages. Living in HCOL CA, a garage is valuable real estate! We have two large garages and have literally never parked in them. One is a workshop/home gym. The other is miscellaneous household storage. We could easily get our cars in it if we needed to, but I love walking in and seeing everything organized and spacious. :D

You are the anomaly. The few I see in our neighborhood are packed to the gills, no way to get one car in, let alone 2. And these homes all have basements! Makes me wonder how packed those are.

In the end, not my monkey, not my circus.

Here's the oddest thing we saw yesterday:

(OK, mystery lovers, start music from the Twilight Zone in your head):

The levee by the boat launch is a steep, grass covered slope maybe 20-30 feet high separating Lake Ponchartrain from our suburb.

Yesterday we saw an law enforcement vehicle parked, nose down, in the middle of the levee on the lake side with his emergency lights all flashing. The LE officer was just sitting in his vehicle. Yet, the hillside was way too steep for him to be parked like this simply to enjoy the sunny weather; maybe 45 degrees inclination? Well maybe not but definitely too steep to be a comfortable place to park.

We wondered what was going on? He was the only one there. Could we be seeing a cops-n-robbers chase scene like on TV? Could a house be on fire on the other side of the levee? Could the levee have a huge leak at that spot and maybe he had been sent to check it out? The usual levee inspectors don't park in weird spots like that to access them. We were dying of curiosity. We drove around through the residential neighborhoods on the back of the levee to see if something was happening there. Nope, nothing.

So, I think this is the oddest thing we have seen lately. :) I am sure there must have been a good reason for it but we haven't figured it out yet.

I totally get it, if a person uses their garage for a workshop, or like a previous neighbor who set up a Sports bar in the garage, with monitors, sound, seats, etc..

it's the storage of floor to ceiling, wall to wall boxes (junk) that is perplexing, and here people have basements in most houses.

Similar thing that has always struck me.
Near our cabin, we drive by a house on the highway and it's frankly a small pretty dumpy house.
Beside it is a GIANT boat, they kind you could take on the ocean or Great Lakes.
Yet this house is 100's of miles from the Great Lakes.

Last year I was going to take a photo, now I wish I had.

That is odd, but at least they can live on a boat like that. I mean, it is like an outbuilding for them. Probably has its own generator even.

Near our cabin, we drive by a house on the highway and it's frankly a small pretty dumpy house.
Beside it is a GIANT boat, they kind you could take on the ocean or Great Lakes.

I've found it very strange that there is no confirmation we have been visited by aliens yet. I mean billions trillions? of galaxies and who knows how many planets? c'mon where is everybody?

Maybe they don't have a garage or basement so they use the giant boat to stash all their stuff.:LOL:

Perhaps COVID-19 is an alien invasion. Who says aliens have to be the same size as we are, or arrive in recognizable space vessels?

I've found it very strange that there is no confirmation we have been visited by aliens yet. I mean billions trillions? of galaxies and who knows how many planets? c'mon where is everybody?

Back
Top Bottom