"Official" American Idol 2011 Thread

This was certainly a great season with all contestants being very strong.

I disagree. IMO, some are stronger than others, so one starts looking at it in relative terms. But in absolute terms, there is much better talent out there, and I'd like to see it. The teeney-boppers text and text and their favorites move up, regardless (maybe to the detriment of) their actual performance talent. And I'm also betting that since many serious performers would not want to subject themselves to that inane voting process, AI is NOT getting the top talent that is out there.

...he's getting paid 18 million a year for his stint on Idol.

Sure, but did he earn a COLA'd pension on that? :cool:

I loved Haley's duet with Tony Bennett last night. Their voices blended beautifully. He did a pretty good song and dance performance for an 85-year-old, too.

I love Tony Bennett, but for the past 10 years his voice is just not doing so well (great considering his age though). I find it a bit painful to listen to him now, being aware of just how great he was. I've heard interviews with him recently, he clearly enjoys it, and people pay to see him, so why not? And he gets to share the stage with pretty young things, what's not to like?

Haley did very well with the jazz tune, she's strong in that area. That might actually be one of her best performances, as she didn't overdo it (gotta keep it classy when you duet with a legend like Tony Bennett). I bet her Dad was really proud of that moment!

Here's the clip - it was fun to watch again -

YouTube - ‪Haley Reinhart & Tony Bennett - American Idol Season 10 Finale Results Show - 05/25/11‬‏

-ERD50

...he's getting paid 18 million a year for his stint on Idol.

Then, I have a feeling Steven Tyler charged extra for that full one minute performance of "Dream On".

I disagree. IMO, some are stronger than others, so one starts looking at it in relative terms. But in absolute terms, there is much better talent out there, and I'd like to see it. The teeney-boppers text and text and their favorites move up, regardless (maybe to the detriment of) their actual performance talent. And I'm also betting that since many serious performers would not want to subject themselves to that inane voting process, AI is NOT getting the top talent that is out there....
-ERD50
In addition to being subject to sometimes whimsical voting, the contestants have to sign a "smothering" contract very in the process with the AI producers. (But, then again, record companies have been doing that for generations.)

What a travesty. Pia and James were obviously the best talent but were eliminated. Mediocrity won, as usual. There is something wrong with the voting process, but I guess the producers don't care about that as long as AT&T makes their cut of the cash.

What a travesty. Pia and James were obviously the best talent but were eliminated. Mediocrity won, as usual. There is something wrong with the voting process, but I guess the producers don't care about that as long as AT&T makes their cut of the cash.

I think the best overall talent was Haley. I have NO problem with Scotty winning, he will be a very successful country singer for a long time, Randy Travis part II............:)

Scotty was very consistently good from the first audition, has a great personality and stage presence and is very mature for his age. I think he will do well.

I really liked Lauren and she has made a lot of progress. I thought she did a great job Tuesday night and was a bit surprised at how the judges heaped praise on her.

Great season, lot of great talent. May even go to Idols Live again this year. Went the year David Cook won - it was a good concert.

I'm not a country fan, but I'm not gonna hate on Scotty. I will say, though, that it was fun the whole season long to watch the group performances and play Spot the Scotty, since they went to great pains to not ever catch him on camera performing tunes out of his genre and especially ones that required choreography, haha.

I just get a kick out of noticing how the producers try to manipulate the whole process aiming for the outcome they want. Anybody else notice any other obvious tricks?

I just get a kick out of noticing how the producers try to manipulate the whole process aiming for the outcome they want. Anybody else notice any other obvious tricks?

A few days ago I read an interview with Crystal Bowersox. On AI, they always mentioned she was from Ohio. Turns out, she has been living and performing music in Chicago since she was 17 (8 years ago), and identifies with Chicago as being her 'home'. But the AI people wouldn't let her talk about Chicago. I guess because Lee DeWyze was from the Chicago area (Mt Prospect), they want to get some excitement and ties from across the country.

That kind of manipulation really turns me off. However, for some reason I'm able to look at AI as 'the glass 10% full' and enjoy that 10%, and I find it easy to ignore the rest. I didn't care one wit whether Scotty or that whatever-her-name-blonde-country-girl won, but there was enough good music in the finale to provide some entertainment. So I watched.

I'm curious if Cowell's new show is going to be more tied to real informed judges doing the deciding, rather than how fast some sub-segment of the population can text their votes in?

-ERD50

I'm curious if Cowell's new show is going to be more tied to real informed judges doing the deciding, rather than how fast some sub-segment of the population can text their votes in?

-ERD50

I'm looking forward to seeing Simon and Paula together again. It will be different and the judges will be more involved.

From the Wikipedia article on X-Factor USA:

"As part of the X Factor franchise, the program's format has numerous differences from its rivals, including American Idol, among others. The competition is open to both solo artists and groups and has no upper age limit. Each judge is assigned one of four categories—either girls under 25, boys under 25, individuals over 25, or groups (some of which are formed after the audition process). Through the live shows, the judges act as mentors to their category, helping to decide song choices, styling and staging, while judging contestants from other categories; they also compete to ensure that their act wins the competition, thus, making them the winning judge."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_X_Factor_(U.S.)

I just have this feeling that the whole category (reality music shows) is going to be highly overexposed this season.

I just have this feeling that the whole category (reality music shows) is going to be highly overexposed this season.

Yeah, I think you may be right.

I think the best overall talent was Haley. I have NO problem with Scotty winning, he will be a very successful country singer for a long time, Randy Travis part II............:)

Haley, no doubt, is fabulous! and I hope that she has a equally fabulous career. Crystal Bowersox from a previous season was fabulous too but I haven't heard whether or not she made a CD. She certainly didn't have instantaneous success, which is too bad.

I wonder if the X-factor and Simon Cowell will be the final nail. (Cowell with the scowl!). They do play to the need to not be involved. Miss an episode? Fine! Catch it tomorrow. Or find the results and be happy you saved the time.

Same thing with dancing shows except that the participants do have to develop some new skills along the way. I did not see any improvement in Scotty. He could have gone on to Nashville after the first top ten episode!

Back
Top Bottom