"Official" American Idol 2011 Thread

I agree. Seems to me that the earlier seasons were much more stripped down - it wasn't until the later shows that they brought in the bigger bands and backup singers. I hear so much reverb on some of these singers that it is hard to actually hear their voices. Then too much of the band, background singers, etc - it's just too overdone to hear the individual.

Maybe the judges get a different mix?

-ERD50

Yeah, i was thinking it must sound different to the people who are there live because the judges really liked most of them and it sounded terrible to me at home! The morning after the boys Ryan Seacrest (also our local radio jockey haha) said they were all amazing - I was confused! But I do recall some of the judges saying it often sounds different when they watch it played back at home as to why the audience votes may differ from what the judges heard...

It was disappointing because they all sounded really amazing leading up to last week and then to have the first week be so off and have so many cut almost seems unfair...but I'm sure those kids will get a shot somewhere if it is meant to be...

Maybe I’m a woman who’s in the middle of becoming a James Durbin fan. Color me amazed.:)

Maybe I’m a woman who’s in the middle of becoming a James Durbin fan. Color me amazed.:)

James is still my favorite, even though I like him better when he screams. :LOL: Then again, remember that the fact that he is my favorite means he's doomed. Last year my favorite was Siobhan Magnus. :rolleyes: Also, I'm not sure James will be able to handle the pressure as he seems a little flaky. We'll see.

Also like Lauren, Scott, Thia, Casey, and Haley.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see how Scott "Baby Lock Them Doors" McCreery handles the various themes.;)

It'll be interesting to see how Scott "Baby Lock Them Doors" McCreery handles the various themes.;)

Yes. Sometimes he seems to me like a "one trick pony", with that great, deep, country western voice. He sure is good at that one genre, and I can't help but like him because he seems like such a decent person. But pop, for example? I can't quite imagine him singing that sort of song.

Yes. Sometimes he seems to me like a "one trick pony", with that great, deep, country western voice. He sure is good at that one genre, and I can't help but like him because he seems like such a decent person. But pop, for example? I can't quite imagine him singing that sort of song.

I like Scott too and have to remember he's just a kid. It will be a challenge for him to take on something different - imagine a "Sinatra" theme:eek:

I do think the experience will be good for Scott and help him expand his natural abilities.

Pia knocked it out of the park, along with Casey and James Durbin. Naima did ok, the best part was the dancing and the reggae section, maybe she can sing reggae??

Glad to see the judges be more honest and give critique for once. Time to quit babying them so much. I say either Ashton or Haley goes home tonight, pretty easy call on that.........

Durbin is better than Adam Lambert, easily.

I haven't been able to figure out why so many people like Casey. I don't see anything good with him. I think he's one of the 4 worst. I think James is the best overall but I will get tired of his screaming fast so I hope he keeps it under control.

I haven't been able to figure out why so many people like Casey. I don't see anything good with him. I think he's one of the 4 worst. I think James is the best overall but I will get tired of his screaming fast so I hope he keeps it under control.

Casey is way talented, he just has his own style. Most folks don't listen to Joe Coker and Scremin' Jay Hawkins anyways. We'll see how he sings pop and rock and roll..........;)

Pia is going to win. Right now, she can outsing almost anyone on the pop charts right now except Rihanna, Beyonce and Christina Aguilera. She has a stronger voice than Kesha, Lady Gaga, Jessica Simpson, and Britney, and pretty much anyone else. Haven't seen power like that since Kelly Clarkson on AI!!! She has the power of Mariah Carey and the range to match...........those notes are sick..........:)

Pia is going to win. Right now, she can outsing almost anyone on the pop charts right now except Rihanna, Beyonce and Christina Aguilera. She has a stronger voice than Kesha, Lady Gaga, Jessica Simpson, and Britney, and pretty much anyone else. Haven't seen power like that since Kelly Clarkson on AI!!! She has the power of Mariah Carey and the range to match...........those notes are sick..........:)

I think she has a very good chance but don't think she has it in the bag quite yet. Pia has a terrific voice, is gorgeous, and has a very likeable personality. While her performances have been near perfect, I'd like to see something a little more exciting from her. Gaga sings OK, but puts on quite a unique show - that's why she's successful. IMHO Pia needs to bring something more than a great voice and good looks to the competition. This being said, she's my #1 at this point.

I agree - - Pia has the voice but needs to show some personality and connection with her audience if she is going to win.

James is my favorite right now. I'd love to hear him in a duet with Steven Tyler at the finals. :D

I also like Hayley but I doubt she will last another week.

James is my favorite right now. I'd love to hear him in a duet with Steven Tyler at the finals. :D

I also like Hayley but I doubt she will last another week.

James last performance was (as Randy says) a bit "pitchy". Even so, he's an interesting and exciting performer. I too would love to see him perform with Tyler!

I also like Haley. I particularly liked her performance of Blue.

Next week's theme is Motown music. Can't wait to see what Scotty does with that! Could be Naima's chance to redeem herself. Her performance of For All We Know blew me away, but she's been pretty awful the last couple of weeks.

I like James too, but I think he might get an unfair advantage when Ryan said "if he makes it to the finals he will sing with Steven Tyler" it will probably garner more votes for him just to see the duet....

I really liked Lauren ALaina's "turn on the radio" three weeks back. I'm not much of a country singer lover but I liked her version of it. I went on You Tube and listened to the original by Reba McEntire and I thought Lauren's was better. That being said I thought the last two weeks she was just plain boring!

I think James is "Adam Lambert" lite. I have liked most of what he has done but he really reminds me of Adam.

Pia is beautiful and a great singer but she reminds me of how good Melinda Doolittle was (ever hear anything about what she is doing now:confused:?). I think she has to step it up a notch if she wants to win or be in the finale.

I don't get what people see in Casey. He reminds me of the white haired guy who won that I can't remember his name but he didn't sell many records.

Bottom three guesses for tonight

So who do you think will be in the bottom three tonight? My guess is Stefano, Haley and Thia, with HAley going home.

James won, hands down! He is amazing and has been my favorite for a while.

Also Naima was very strong, much to my surprise since I didn't like her singing before. I thought her performance last night was outstanding.

However, I read rumors that Naima is going home. :( I wish it would be Paul, instead. My guess for the bottom three is Naima (unfortunately!), Paul, and, I dunno, maybe Casey.

Pia was purrfection! Yeah, I know she needs to do something uptempo, but damn that woman can sing. Also liked James and Naima - solid performances and very entertaining.

Bottom three prediction - Casey, Thia and Haley with Haley going home.

Haley showed off her legs this week. I predict she will not be in the bottom 3.

Pia was great but her outfit failed to reveal much of her lovelier assets. That could hurt her although I still think she will survive.

I don't get Paul, Casey and Thia. Those are my bottom 3 choices. Stefano said he was going to sing with his eyes open but then kept them shut for most of his performance. He is a likeable guy but could be in trouble.

I still miss Simon. Steven Tyler seems to have a never ending pallet of goofy little phrases. They are so stupid that I'm kinda warming up to them. And just when I think he has used them all up he fires out another little platitude that is so goofy it cracks me up. J-Lo seems to flirt a bunch with the male singers. Love having J-Lo to look at during the judging.

I'm even having more respect for Seacrest. Never thought much of him before. But I'm starting to appreciate his subtle genius of fluidly keeping the show moving and making everything seem great all the time. He may be the utlimate genius behind the show. YMMV

I still miss Simon. Steven Tyler seems to have a never ending pallet of goofy little phrases. They are so stupid that I'm kinda warming up to them. And just when I think he has used them all up he fires out another little platitude that is so goofy it cracks me up. J-Lo seems to flirt a bunch with the male singers. Love having J-Lo to look at during the judging.

I'm even having more respect for Seacrest. Never thought much of him before. But I'm starting to appreciate his subtle genius of fluidly keeping the show moving and making everything seem great all the time. He may be the utlimate genius behind the show. YMMV

I totally agree. I miss Simon but I'm pleasantly surprised at how entertaining Steve Tyler. I also don't miss the fake arguments between Simon and Ryan.

One thing about J-Lo... it seems she sometimes competes with Lady Gaga on finding the most unflattering hairstyles, make-up and clothes. I thought her make-up last night looked horrible. One thing I like about her, she doesn't "flirt" with anyone like Paula or the songwriter who I can't remember her name. I really got tired off Paula being all over SImon and then the other one last year taking up where Paula left off.

Pia was purrfection! Yeah, I know she needs to do something uptempo, but damn that woman can sing. Also liked James and Naima - solid performances and very entertaining.

Bottom three prediction - Casey, Thia and Haley with Haley going home.

Pia is the next Mariah Carey/Celine Dion/Whitney Houston, her voice is off the charts. Win or lose, she will see LOTS of albums. She needs coaching on the "swagger" part of it, but that can be learned..........:)

Pia is the next Mariah Carey/Celine Dion/Whitney Houston, her voice is off the charts. Win or lose, she will see LOTS of albums. She needs coaching on the "swagger" part of it, but that can be learned..........:)

Pia reminds me more of Carrie Underwood. Different style of singing, but great voice and beautiful. She also comes across well - modest and very likeable. I remember Carrie needed to learn the "swagger" too - she was a sweet little girl fresh from the farm. Carrie learned well!

Back
Top Bottom