"Official" American Idol 2011 Thread

Exciting show last night. ONe of the better results shows they have had. Our recorder missed the last few minutes because (surprise, surprise) the show went past 1 hour.

Saw on the news today they made the tour 11 instead of 10. Nice thing to do but you would thought they would wait a week to decide since that would have made "better TV". I was wondering how they would eliminate 2 but have only 1 spot on the tour.

Did anyone else have a commercial come on in the middle of one of the "elimination" segments? We had a CHarter commercial show about the time Ryan said let's "dim the lights". I was wondering if it happened outside of where CHarter is sold.

It's been a great season so far.

I wouldn't have missed last night's show for anything! I thought Casey was going to completely lose it when the judges decided to use their save.

Personally, I thought they should not have used it so early in the season. I suspect that Casey is going to be eliminated before too long despite the save.

I wouldn't have missed last night's show for anything! I thought Casey was going to completely lose it when the judges decided to use their save.

Personally, I thought they should not have used it so early in the season. I suspect that Casey is going to be eliminated before too long despite the save.

+1

Seems like an early save wasted. I can't get past his look of a cherubic lumberjack. And when he finally had his hair combed during his performance earlier this week he looked like a combination wolfman / cherubic lumberjack.
Color the hair black and he looks like the spitting image of e86s54. :greetings10:

Great results show!! Stevie Wonder singing happy birthday to Steven Tyler was super. And how about that Hulk Hogan? I thought James was going to pass out.

Casey's save? I can understand why they saved him. I just hope he listens to Jennifer's advice and gives us less antics and more of that cool vibe we saw earlier in the season.

Next week's theme is going to be songs from the 80s. Some song suggestions:

Casey - I'm Still Standing by Elton John
James - Sweet Child of Mine by Guns 'n Roses
Pia - With or Without You by U2
Naima - Redemption Song by Bob Marley
Paul - Every Breath You Take by The Police
Haley - Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes
Scotty - Anything by Johnny Cash!!

Edited to add: Now the Idol blogs are saying the theme will be Elton John. We'll see. Would keep the same song choice as above for Casey ;-)

i think they used the save because there are several still around they wouldn't save! So I'm guessing they knew it wouldn't be needed later - unless for some odd reason Pia, James or Jacob were at the bottom - but I suspect they also know the vote counts and whether that is a possibility or not - so unless they do a horrible performance then they feel comfortable...

I really liked Casey during the auditions but he has been trying too darn hard during the show. His musical whimsy is amazing, fun and interesting but so far he has just been roaring and groaning...I can hear Simon say, "you're a little bit scary" or "be careful"...!!

Yeah, I don't know why Paul keeps on going either. It was amazing when he sang Backbird though.. I think he does better at a softer tone like Randy said. Thea has no upper register. I felt Stefano and Thea would be in Bottom 2, but I didn't expect Casey, but then, I had no idea who would be in Bottom 3.

When it gets to Casey, I think looks matter. Or rather, the way he looks into the camera matters. When he pulls down his chin and his eyes look into the camera, it makes him look like one of those crazy mentally insane criminals. (Sorry!) He should definitely stop doing that. Raise his chin up a little and do some slow ballat or something, while looking AWAY from the camera.

Steven Tyler is sooo fun to watch. I look forward to hearing his goofy phrases and what he wears (dude looks like a lady! LOL!) I love his music.

While I do love Pia, I think Lauren could be a sleeper. She reminds me of a cross between Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood. A strong voice, prettier than Kelly but not near as pretty as Carrie. But she needs to do better on song choice - delivery hasn;t been much of an issue for her.

I also really like Thia's voice, but I'm not yet convinced the rest of the package is there (like it is with Pia).

I don't get the save for Casey. I think you need to reserve the save for someone who will make the finals, and I don't think Casey will.

And I like Paul, but his days are numbered.

Pia was purrfection! Yeah, I know she needs to do something uptempo, but damn that woman can sing. Also liked James and Naima - solid performances and very entertaining.

Bottom three prediction - Casey, Thia and Haley with Haley going home.

I find Pia extremely boring to listen to....nothing but ballads. I agree that she has a great voice, but I can barely stand to listen to her. I don't see her being a pop singer at all and in my opinion, that's where the real money is. Perhaps her popularity will fall into a Celine Dionne type of crowd. I'd like to see her change my mind by doing something more up tempo and more pop oriented.

I like the contestants that bring something different to the competition...like Paul (yeah, not the greatest voice in the world, but definately not boring), Naima, Casey and James.

Anything you're hoping to hear tonight? Elton John did so many great songs. James - please do "Rocket Man"!! Also, I'd love to hear Pia do "Your Song". If you don't remember it, here's a nice version by Ellie Goulding.

YouTube - Ellie Goulding 'Your Song'

I loved last nite's show! Casey showed that he is an excellent singer - and so many of them showed their ability to take feedback and learn from the week before! Casey, and Jacob did particularly well in that vein for me...

I hope Paul is toast, he is wearing on me. Nice guy, great personality and all but just not strong enough to keep in this competition.

So FinanceDude, how did you like Pia's outfit? My DH loved it. He was glued to the TV during her performance;) And how 'bout that James Durbin:D

So FinanceDude, how did you like Pia's outfit? My DH loved it. He was glued to the TV during her performance;) And how 'bout that James Durbin:D

Pia is smokin'....and the next Mariah Carey. I don't care if she wins or not, she gets a record deal. james Durbin cracks me up, he's like the life of the party..........:D

I was very impressed with Lauren and Haley last night. My bottom 3 this week are Paul, Thia, and Naima. I predict Thia and Naima go home tonight, which is bittersweet since Naima is from Milwaukee.

Scotty did well also. I don't even like country, but will buy his album. Just a side note, I bought Danny Gokey's CD when it came out, some really great songs on it!!

My favorites were Pia, Haley, and (of course) James.

I have no idea who will be sent home, though!

I hope Paul is toast, he is wearing on me. Nice guy, great personality and all but just not strong enough to keep in this competition.

I wish he would be sent home too, but I think he is riding on his good looks for now.

Bottom 3 - Thia, Naima, and Casey. Casey somehow survives again.

And BTW.....Pia....yowza, yowza, yowza. Nice outfit. Nice everything. And I like Haley as well. She is getting sexier.

Pia is smokin'....and the next Mariah Carey. I don't care if she wins or not, she gets a record deal. james Durbin cracks me up, he's like the life of the party..........:D

I was very impressed with Lauren and Haley last night. My bottom 3 this week are Paul, Thia, and Naima. I predict Thia and Naima go home tonight, which is bittersweet since Naima is from Milwaukee.

Scotty did well also. I don't even like country, but will buy his album. Just a side note, I bought Danny Gokey's CD when it came out, some really great songs on it!!

I'm thinkin' the same thing - Thia and Naima go home. I think Lauren did the best ever last night and Haley - she's one hot ticket. Her performance reminded me of this:

YouTube - Michelle Pfeiffer - Makin' Whoopee

Haley was hot last night. Like I told DW (who hasn't seen last night yet) she sang so well that I almost couldn't focus on her legs :>)

Lauren could be a sleeper - she seems like a mix of Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood to me.

I think Thia has a good, sweet voice - but isn't ready for the big time - yet.

For some reason I love Scotty - I like his voice and he seems to be quite well grounded - hope he stays that way.

Unbelievable show tonight!! Best ever. Even Paul was amazing and he completely changed my so-so opinion of his singing.

We're at the stage where I hate to see any of them go. They are ALL winners IMO.

Unbelievable show tonight!! Best ever. Even Paul was amazing and he completely changed my so-so opinion of his singing.

We're at the stage where I hate to see any of them go. They are ALL winners IMO.

I dunno. I thought they were all very, very good, but not knock-your-socks-off great.

Paul smiled too much - geez, I just re-read the lyrics to Folsom Prison Blues, and there ain't nothin' to smile about! If you are going to do a gritty song, you need to be gritty.

Haley had a few moments, but if you are going to take on Janis, you've got to just tear it all up and rip your heart to pieces. That 17 YO girl a few seasons back was much better at it than Haley. Here: Allison Iraheta , she sings with so much more maturity, and at 17! She makes me FEEL the song so much it hurts! Like it's supposed to!

YouTube - cry baby elimination performance- Allison Iraheta

YouTube - Allison Iraheta - Cry Baby/Piece Of My Heart

YouTube - Cry Baby - Allison Iraheta

I'm gonna spend the rest of the evening following her links...

Oh, and she can handle it oh so gentle also...

YouTube - Someone to watch over me - Allison Iraheta

Pia was great, but she's so good she makes great look easy - you almost expect it from her.

Scotty did a great job of coming cross as rock-a-billy and not the one-trick-country pony we would expect. But was it that great? Not really (though I wish I could perform that well!).

My 2 cents - ERD50

I thought Paul did much better than before. I liked Loren, and enjoyed Scotty a bunch (much better than pure country stuff - I guess it's just my preference of songs). (Sorry to say that I have to fast forward the Gospel guy every time... Gospel singers tend to go a little bit sharp on many notes and I just don't enjoy it) I actually didn't enjoy James very much this time (He sounded a little shaky at the beginning and middle was good - sounded a little like Von Jovi - and the end was not so great).

Hey, Anybody think of "Sharing the Night Together" by Dr. Hook whenever Casey sings (especially the last two songs - Your Song last week and his song this week)? Last two times, the way Casey sang reminded me the way Dr. Hook's vocalist sings "Sharing the Night Together".

Is it just me??

Scotty is too young. I think someone told him, here, you just need three good "showbizzy" hooks and you're good. So he holds his mike sideways, cocks his head and makes a smarmy smirk, and that is the extent of his "emoting" to a song. It gets old by the 4th week and it'll get really old by the end of May. But the producers stage a "spontaneous" groupie rush of the stage, so you won't forget how awesome he is...it's so corny, but it kind of fits with how corny the rest of his schtick is.

Aside from him, everyone else is a polished performer with some life experience to back up what they are singing. This top 13 is the strongest group they have ever had, makes you wonder why they insisted on such crappy casts in previous years.

The judges were really fun during the auditions, but are getting kind of boring lately, c'mon Steven and Randy, give us some more goofiness, please!

Back
Top Bottom