Old time tech illiteracy - examples?

Our 40's gas stove has pilot lights for the burners but takes a match for the oven. Just fine with that $25 church sale stove.

Yep, that's the one that almost blew up our house!

BIL has run his one-man store all his life with just a manual typewriter for paperwork. He has never used a computer and has no interest in them. Also only uses an old landline phone. He's a very intelligent person, just has no use for modern technology.

Have never changed a tire either. My dad is not handy, so those types of skills not passed down, but will take the math and logic skills passed down.

I hired a millennial shortly before I retired. Our employer provided cell phones to everyone, so new hires had to get their existing cell number ported over to the company plan and new device. Usually, this meant you might not have any service for a hour or so on the day this took place. So this employee comes to me in a panic, her phone is getting ported and so no service, but she’s expecting a guest to come for lunch and how will she know when her friend arrives. I said just give her a call to tell her where to meet. She replies with attitude “I told you, my phone has no service”. My reply was I think there is a phone right there on your desk... “Oh” she said.

This same employee refused to put her laptop in the dock on her desk so that she could use the huge monitor, standard keyboard and mouse. She had only used a laptop in high school & college so that is what she was comfortable with. I wouldn’t have minded except we worked in Finance and ten-key skills were important and our spreadsheets were huge. She was slow as a result. Whenever she complained that she was working a lot of overtime, I would suggest she might be more efficient if she’d just use the tools on her desk. She never gave in. Who would have thought that a mouse would be considered old-tech?

So what about things that HAVEN'T changed much?

When I clean the filter cartridges in the pool filter, it's pretty much still 1962, even though the pump controller has more computing power than Apollo XIII.

A gas cooktop may have electric ignition, but basically it's unchanged since 1945.

Simple mailboxes. Heck, have you stepped into the Post Office at Yosemite?

Hose faucets. Quite a few hand tools.

Wife & I are still trying to find a new pickup truck WITH a manual transmission! Been to every dealer on island for Toyota, GMC, & Chevy, but not a single one in stock, & 60-90 days to order one from the mainland. Can't picture owning a truck without a gearshift!

You've heard of the special security feature on 4x4s?

Put the transfer case in neutral.

Back
Top Bottom