Olympics anyone?

I was watching weightlifting today followed by ping-pong. What a combination. Hard to believe Ping-Pong is an Olympic sport? :confused:

I love ping-pong! It got really big late 60's. One guy smashing and the other guy way back there returning...

It's like tennis court distance across a table - :)

I love ping-pong! It got really big late 60's. One guy smashing and the other guy way back there returning...

It's like tennis court distance across a table - :)

Darn. I missed the ping pong coverage. Watching them play is both amazing and funny.

Have been watching women's swimming and women's beach volleyball. I like seeing Katie Ledecky kick butt in the swimming and seeing how well the volleyball will be post Misty May Treanor. Haven't been too interested in gymnastics, more Phelps medals or women's soccer.

We have had it on when we have gone to bed (DW likes the ambient light/sound of the TV) and I swear I think the only thing that we have seen is swimming!

It's all be quite boring, so it's makes falling asleep pretty easy. ;)

Darn. I missed the ping pong coverage. Watching them play is both amazing and funny.

Have been watching women's swimming and women's beach volleyball. I like seeing Katie Ledecky kick butt in the swimming and seeing how well the volleyball will be post Misty May Treanor. Haven't been too interested in gymnastics, more Phelps medals or women's soccer.
So, the cold weather forced the women's beach volleyball competitors to dress in full body-covering clothing. I understand the number of TV viewers was down more than 30%. That, and that awful green water. :confused:

Here's an Olympic rant by the WGN news team sports announcer that sums up the feelings many people have about the coverage. Pat Tomasulo’s ‘Olympics’ report includes R. Kelly lip sync, video of his HS wrestling career | WGN-TV

So far it's been very difficult to get complete summaries of all of the previous day's activities. It's not gonna change anytime soon, NBC has a contract to televise the Olympics through 2032.

So, the cold weather forced the women's beach volleyball competitors to dress in full body-covering clothing. I understand the number of TV viewers was down more than 30%. That, and that awful green water. :confused:

Those who turned away because of attire missed a very good match last night. A pretty near upset. Oh, the USA team wasn't dressed in full body-covering :).

Must have been quite chilly tough as I'd think after all the running and diving around, they can easily work up a good sweat.

We watched for a while and the coverage was OK. Buy a little goes a long way. I yearn for the daily highlights reel! Rugby 7 is fascinating. Never watched it before.

I have not had any luck finding any streaming services. What one(s) are you using?

A few options:

- NBC sports App on iPad. This seems to be the most stable option. We stream it to our iPads and then kick it up on the TV via AppleTV. Also gives a limited capability to skip around during recorded events by dragging on the time bar.

- NBC Sports App on AppleTV. It's got limited options, but the quality is very good. Disadvantage is on our ATV there's no way to fast forward or skip around on recorded events.

- NBCsports.com lists all the live running events, along with a whole bunch of recordings and highlight options. Easy access on a computer.

All of those options will give you 30 minutes per day for free, or unlimited access if you have an active account with a cable provider.

Yesterday:
- Men's Basketball vs. Australia
- Beginning of Brazil v. Denmark Soccer
- Men's road cycling time trial
- Most of the Men's individual all around gymnastics

Today I'm planning to watch:
- Women's all around gymnastics (Simone Biles (US) is runaway favorite).
- Swimming finals. Phelps should be in the 200IM final tonight.
- Whatever else is interesting!

S/
Olympics junkie

We watched for a while and the coverage was OK. Buy a little goes a long way. I yearn for the daily highlights reel! Rugby 7 is fascinating. Never watched it before.

Fiji is really fun to watch in 7s. Too bad they play the US coming up. That's going to be ugly...

I got a chance to watch something interesting the other day. It was pairs of very fit, young men, in tiny speedo bathing suits, showering. Yes, it was nice to watch. They should have had a slow motion option.

They would shower for a bit, then kind of play with some tiny towels, then fist bump each other or go hug other people wearing clothing.

They took turns with other pairs of men taking showers. Everybody in their tiny speedos.

Then they'd climb up to a high platform and jump into the water together, while flexing and spinning. After that they get to shower again, together, in their teeny, tiny speedos.

Yes, I'm enjoying the Olympics!

Last edited:
We are watching but I am pissed because for the second time dumb #@# Lester Holt ruined the suspense by announcing the gymnastics winners before NBC had even aired the event. What a bunch of morons!

I just finished watching Fiji win it's first Olympic medal ever - gold in Rugby. They absolutely dominated the field. Too bad NBC didn't show the medal ceremony. That was a true Olympic moment.

USWNT vs Sweden today at 12PM EST.
Plenty of drama:
- team coming off a disappointing 2-2 tie with Columbia.
- coach tried several combinations in the tie, that may have upset the chemistry a bit.
- US previous coach is coaching SWEDEN.
- Invincible US keeper made two large mistakes, leading to two goals.

Prediction:
Lloyd and Heath will play full game and save the day. NJ does it again for the US.

Wow, a lot of negativity. Sure, I can find faults with the coverage, and some the sports are sleepers.

Maybe it is just me, but I've really enjoyed the swimming. Then again, swimming is one of the few things I've ever done semi-competitively, so I have a feel for the accomplishments of these athletes.

Folks: history is being made with Phelps accomplishments. Last night, at 31, he just didn't beat the field in the 200 IM, he Blew Them Away. An incredible accomplishment.

The 200 IM is arguably the ultimate all around test of swimming, and Phelps stands alone at the top ... again.

Is the women's beach volleyball over? When are the Russians on TV again?

Is the women's beach volleyball over? When are the Russians on TV again?

Russians beat team USA yesterday to knock USA out. But this was in a different pool then USA's main team of Walsh Jennings/Ross.

Four years ago, Teams USA won both the gold and silver as USA teams from two different pools advanced to play for the top prize.

I think women's beach volleyball is on tonight.

Last edited:
Russians beat team USA yesterday to knock USA out. But this was in a different pool then USA's main team of Walsh Jennings/Ross.

Four years ago, Teams USA won both the gold and silver as USA teams from two different pools advanced to play for the top prize.

I think women's beach volleyball is on tonight.

Thanks, Easysurfer. Yes, I see it's Spain vs. Russia at 6 PM. Hopefully will be broadcast on NBC.

I love watching the Olympics. Athletics and track are my favourite.

Coverage in Canada is great. We have 3 different networks...CBC, TSN, and Sportsnet with a total of 7 or 8 channels/feeds working together as a team to provide coverage. Regardless of which network you are watching, they will let you know what the other providers are showing.

Back
Top Bottom