Opportunity to throw the boss under the bus

Just another thought here, if HR is involved and there is any thought of you being a malcontent or non team player, true or not, be careful. HR professionals network with other HR professionals and you never know what may come back to haunt you in the future. Nothing wrong with being honest but sometimes keeping your mouth shut is the best thing a person can do.

A little background on the DW's job. She works in a mortgage department at a large local bank. She is a first line manager who works approx 50 hours per week during the work week. She also frequently brings her computer home on the weekends so she can complete her work for the week. She has asked several times for an increase in personnel, because she has become the dumping ground for a lot of small jobs. All requests have been denied. One person (not in the DW's line of supervision) has received three promotions this year. The increased responsibility for those promotions gets dumped on the DW because the person receiving the promotions doesn't have time to do her job. The hierarchy at her work is supposed to be more of the military style, but the way it has worked is anybody who is in a higher position has been able to tell anybody in a lower position what to do. This has led to conflicting directions, procedures, and processes in the same office. The organization is not that large in the grand scheme of things, but they officially have three different processes for doing one job, one for each center.

It's too bad she works for the government, now if this was a real free enterprise efficiency loving private megacorp none of this nonsense would happen.

........ HR professionals .............

It is funny seeing those two words used in the same sentence. In my MegaCorp experience, the last people you wanted involved, whether you were employee or management, was HR. If you were an employee, they would rat you out to your boss before you got back to your desk. If you were management, they would make you regret that you had ever even thought of involving them.

It is funny seeing those two words used in the same sentence. In my MegaCorp experience, the last people you wanted involved, whether you were employee or management, was HR. If you were an employee, they would rat you out to your boss before you got back to your desk. If you were management, they would make you regret that you had ever even thought of involving them.

I pretty much agree for the most part. I did know one HR manager that was a no BS straight shooter and a real asset to employees both hourly and management. One out of probably twenty is a pretty sorry number though.

It's too bad she works for the government, now if this was a real free enterprise efficiency loving private megacorp none of this nonsense would happen.

Haha! Took me a while to get this joke!

Was thinking: "...but she doesn't work for the gov....oh, I get it!"

Ya too bad. One bad bank out of five is horrible.:rolleyes:

I am a big boss, and sometimes I have these kinds of discussions. I always make it clear that the discussion is completely confidential and that I will protect the employee's anonymity. Perhaps you can ask for the same before proceeding.

I strongly suggest you do not just complain but have a balanced viewpoint, and provide several very specific examples of behaviors that need improving, and suggestions on exactly how the supervisor should have handled the situation.

Yup, facts are the only argument you need. Evidence is even cooler.:cool:
And, personally, I strongly suggest you do not complain at all. The big boss doesn't want to hear that crapola. He wants a cool head and an objective viewpoint and facts if you have them.

Very difficult situation. If big boss hired your immediate boss then whatever you say against immediate boss would probably be used against you and you would get fired.

Company politics including how bosses support and interact with each other constantly changes.

Try to learn the current political climate between bosses would be wise before you throw your immediate boss under the bus.

Has immediate boss thrown you under the bus? If he has then he has tried to put you in the crosshairs with the big boss. Bosses like to play the blame game. If the employee can be blamed for an resolved problem, they will do it.

I was recently terminated from a job after 24 years because both big boss and immediate boss were sociopaths. It was a no win situation. After I was fired, the boss hired his 25 year old son for my replacement. My termination was set up by the immediate boss.

As I look back, I should have approached my boss earlier on and asked him how I could help him get more gold stars. Maybe that would have worked, maybe not.

If you have another job secured, throw the boss under the bus. If you don't have another job secured be very careful what you tell the big boss.

Watertree

I was recently terminated from a job after 24 years because both big boss and immediate boss were sociopaths.
It is a necessary management skill.

If you don't have another job secured be very careful what you tell the big boss.
OP, It doesn't matter if you do or not. Keep your mouth shut. Trust no one. Don't be stupid. And get out while you can.

Gerbil Wheel,
Okay, it's now been 2 weeks and no signs BB is in any mood to discuss the issue. She's either an ally of BB or doesn't want to do anything about the situation. You, on the other hand, are known to both BB and the verbose Exec Assistant as someone who doesn't like the troublesome boss. The EA was apparently more excited about the idea of this meeting than anyone else. I think you are wise to keep hunting for another position, I wouldn't slow down if I were in your boots.

^Yes thanks your assessment is correct, no more sign that BB wants to discuss...my sense is she has bigger issues to deal with and won't address this type of thing unless someone is proactive in talking to her, SO I will keep mum and keep looking for another job.

On a positive note, we recently got past some major milestones with high marks from the CFO, so bully boss is happy at the moment which makes my life a bit more bearable!

I think you have made a good decision. You have not burnt any bridges and you can scope out the job market at your own pace. Even if you hate the place, it's always better to leave on a positive note.

Back
Top Bottom