I may have made the mistake of updating my Linkedin status to 'Retired'

I enjoy reading about what's going on in business and commenting freely. I'm always tactful but it's very freeing for me to comment on management blunders in the news when I don't have to worry that it will reflect on an employer and get them upset at me.

I retired at 46 in 2022, and I decided to keep my linkedin around in case I ever needed to un-retire. I didn't bother updating it. So, it still says I am working for my former employer.

My withdrawal rate is around 3.50% and that is only on my taxable account assets. I also have a pension with around 20 years vested once I turn 60. So, it is unlikely I will need to work again, but you never know.

I'm sure at some point I will delete it.

Last edited:
......remember when we found jobs in the paper!

Off topic, but that is exactly how I found the job that I retired from. A small 2-3 sentence ad in the classifieds.

Regarding Linkedin, never had an account. As someone said up thread, by the time it became a "thing", I was already planning an exit strategy. Why bother networking.

Kept it for 6 months after retirement and then deleted it.

(so glad to be done with that foolishness!)

I kept my LI account just so I can look people up. I never really used that thing other than to keep an up to date list of job contacts, just in case I was shown the door. When I FIRE'd I deleted all my 'friends' and changed my status to "retired" with my only experience as "old fart." I used to have it as "head bottle washer" in the wine and beer industry as one of my hobbies is homebrewing, but I was getting offers to apply for jobs at wineries, etc. I since figured out how to turn off all notifications so it's quiet now. Haven't looked at my own profile in years; I just now had to check it.

Linked In

Before I retired, most of what I did was classified government work and not anything I could (or would) chat about on Linked In or elsewhere, despite the attempts of some people to get me to do that. So, I wasn't tempted to create an account then. Instead, I reported any such inquiries on up the chain of command as instructed.

After I retired, occasionally I was mildly curious about "what ever happened to so-and-so", but not curious enough to make a Linked In account or try to make contact in some other way. It seemed to me like the very best strategy for a faithful and somewhat naive former government employee such as me was to avoid Linked In like the plague and find new friends that weren't so interested in pumping me for sensitive information. So, that is what I did.

Timely post seeing as I’m on final approach to the big R. I plan to keep my LI account for a couple reasons:

1) It is a networking treasure trove of senior and executive level former clients and colleagues, not to mention friends and acquaintances.

2) I’m active on a couple of non-profit boards and the network may prove useful for fundraising and such

3) I’m not sure just how much my new RE status is going to stick and may use the network to look for consulting gigs.

Guess I’m just not ready to let go yet.

I did not however I hibernated my account about three months ago. I got a few emails from people asking if I was OK.

Eventually I'll delete it because I do not miss it at all. That part of my life is in my past and that's where it needs to stay.

Why not update to "consultant" instead of "retired"?

That status allows one to keep up with friends without (functionally) exiting the platform.
FWIW- Agree 100% that posting "retired" status does NOT seem to cut down on the "opportunities" you get spammed with.

Last edited:
I always use forwarding emails with such services. Partly in case they get hacked (linked has been) and partly to make sure I control advertising and communication.

I don't care about recruiters, j*b offers, or similar crap. But it does let me stay in touch with friends around the world, who share my interests. For example, DW & I collect old Japanese swords, & I get feeds from others who also enjoy that (expensive!)hobby. We also use the non-collectibles in martial arts, which is another way to stay in touch. Nothing wrong with keeping an active LinkedIn account, if you tweak it to get only what you want. :rolleyes:

I left work 8 months ago. Only changed my job title/status to Enjoying Chapter 2. Apparent folks got the message because recruiters stopped reaching out.

I may have made this comment, here, about LinkedIn before. I describe LinkedIn as joining the Mob - it seems one can never leave. I have seemingly tried everything, but somehow I still get notices from them, announcements, and at least once a year an inquiry from a headhunter based on my LinkedIn profile. And that hasn't changed after 14 or so years.

You can delete your LinkedIn profile. My husband just did that. I keep it to keep up with people. My status is semi-retired and that does not seem to get any questions.

I created an account years ago, but have no idea what I used for username/password, etc. I get notifications occasionally, just ignore them
I probably could figure it out somehow, except it may have been connected to my work email and that is locked.

+1.

I've used it only to look people up from my past when Facebook fails. That's maybe once a year if that. Never used it while working.

Back
Top Bottom