Origin of your ER.org user name?

Back in 2012 I sat at my desk, after yet another long, stressful day, and calculated when I could retire. I thought it would be when I turned 52. But I overshot and retired at 48 and haven't been able to figure out how to change it to Retire48.

Because I’m not very clever and have no imagination.....

atmsmhr = atom smasher

Reactor Operator and Nuclear Engineer by training and profession.

Instead of "honey I have to go make the doughnuts" it was "off to go smash some atoms".

P.S. - engineers as a class, have a weak or sublime sense of humor. But you already knew that.

Mine is from playing computer games as a pre-teen. I had Reach for the Stars on my Apple IIc and it prompted for a player name. Retch the Grate a homophone for Wretch the Great which is an oxymoron which is the sort of wordplay pre-teen me really loved. Then I started BBSing shortly after that, and had to have a handle, so that's what I used. Then off to college and posting on Usenet where I continued the handle, and it has been my name on most platforms and forums since then.

I first used this handle on another site when I was looking to dive into some...er, rather opinionated comments, and wanted something I hadn't used before. Since it was such a strident discussion, my mind immediately went to hyperbolic superhero names, to try to add a bit of wry humor to it. Now I use it more often (per post/comment) than my former username based on my actual name.

Since 1988, I work for a business that makes synthetic latex products for many, many applications, the most common one being house paint. I have been directly and indirectly involved in the design and construction of many plants and dozens of reactor lines around the world.

So, along the lines of Tony Stark, I am . . . Latexman. :cool:

:LOL:

So....you fight crime wearing a suit made of latex? :cool::LOL:

Former w*rking life flying the mighty C-5 airplane. I use different names on different forums to aid in anonymity.

Last edited:
When I was a young teenager, while browsing the yellow pages (since there was no internet at the time), I noticed the name of a dive bar, and thought it was pretty funny. Since I haven't since progressed much from my teenage humor level, I decided to adopt it. In hindsight maybe I wish I would have picked something a bit more sophisticated.

Good thing you didn't grow up in the same city I did. We had a bar called Tall Girls and BO.

And, prior to 11 July 2018, the USS John S. McCain (DDG-56)

Did not know about the USS Wright. And I had thought the USS John McCain was named after only one person (not the former senator).

Guess now I have to say the Lewis and Clark is the only ship named after two unrelated people. : )

All I will say is that Alvin Tostig, a fictional character, was the father who taught his son to make a lot that say", and "spends his day counting (his money) in his garage by the motorway"...clearly a very conservative investor.

They grew up poor, as the son was born a "pauper to a pawn on a Christmas Day".

I also wondered if his son received any disability/retirement benefits from his time in the service especially since he was also wounded ("he wears his war wound like a crown").

All I will say is that Alvin Tostig, a fictional character, was the father who taught his son to make a lot that say", and "spends his day counting (his money) in his garage by the motorway"...clearly a very conservative investor.

They grew up poor, as the son was born a "pauper to a pawn on a Christmas Day".

I also wondered if his son received any disability/retirement benefits from his time in the service especially since he was also wounded ("he wears his war wound like a crown").
At least he found Jesus.

Mine was about a fantasy that I might retire in 2019. Like all fantasies, it was not really true. Still working. Not sure when I actually retire if I should change it to IThought2019 for accuracy......

Mine’s a mashup of steel guitar and a favorite band.

The picture is of Buddy Emmons, a great player. I thought of using one of me on the steel but I don’t happen to have a rainbow.

Take a wild guess, what's my favorite board game?

Mine was about a fantasy that I might retire in 2019. Like all fantasies, it was not really true. Still working. Not sure when I actually retire if I should change it to IThought2019 for accuracy......

You wouldn’t be the first to change a username because of retirement or a change of plans. :)

Last edited:
Made a Navy career of flying in the back of a metal tube with a big radar on top.

Those things used to take off near our compound in Riyadh sometimes.....noisy buggers. :LOL:

Should I Go, or not? see also the OMY syndrome.
Happy to say that my "Go" date is now very close !

I'm from Louisiana and my favorite 2 LSU shirts said "Geaux Tigers" and "LSU Girl". I combined it for geauxgirl. The website I was on ALREADY had a geauxgirl, so I became ugeauxgirl.

Back
Top Bottom