Our shameless culture

I won't criticize anything said by a captive. Coersion can be unbelievably brutal.

A government needs to measure its response in the face of such provocation. You shouldn't react thoughtlessly.

You shouldn't ACT thoughtlessly, either. In my opinion, however, the British Navy should have been prepared for the worst when it sent that team to the Iranian boat. If you aren't ready to send the ship to the bottom, don't challenge it. This wasn't a simple inspection of papers by the port authoritiy of the Thames, for chrissake.

Just wait until Iran finally launches its nuclear weapon at Israel. Then, you will be reading reports titled "How did this happen". Iran was just testing the waters when they took the British hostages. They wanted to gage world reaction and they got it.

Had a BRIEF conversation on this topic with my "civilian" friends while they were still held captive...who think that the captives did the right thing. I was appalled! Guess Her Majesty's military Code of Conduct training is not like ours.

What a load of bollocks. This isn't a couple of schoolboys daring each other into a fight behind the bleachers. This is an encounter between two nuclear-armed nations, one of which is fully capable of shutting down the world economy. The UK did the right thing in the face of stupid provocation, and the Iranians eventually decided to correct their mistake. Running into an armed conflict over this minor squabble would have been a huge mistake.

Their close proximity to the rest of western Europe has sissified even the brits. They betrayed their country to save their own hides (which isn't even true because there is no way in hell they would have hurt them)

It wasn't that long ago that a soldier would have been shot for that behavior. Churchill just rolled in his grave I'm sure.

Iran made their point loud and clear to the rest of the Muslim world.

People are really brave when they aren't in the same situation.

Mwsinron said:
People are really brave when they aren't in the same situation.

You know what? As a CHILD I had a gun pointed in my face during a mugging and I never stooped as low as those pussies. That was without any formal military training.

saluki9 said:
You know what? As a CHILD I had a gun pointed in my face during a mugging and I never stooped as low as those pussies. That was without any formal military training.
I know a full-grown adult who was shot dead for the same behavior.

But he was really really brave, and the word "pussy" is not on his tombstone. So I guess he wins, although I'm not sure how his family sees it.

saluki9 said:

And I'm sure your balls are all the bigger for it, tough guy.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

brewer12345 said:
And I'm sure your balls are all the bigger for it, tough guy.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Can't tell, but at least I will be able to sleep the rest of my life having some self respect. Something I hope none of those folks will be able to do.

saluki9 said:
Can't tell, but at least I will be able to sleep the rest of my life having some self respect. Something I hope none of those folks will be able to do.

Why? Why would you wish them ill after what they went through?

What was the outcome of compliance with their captors' demands? They stayed in one piece long enough to be released. Sounds like a reasonable choice to me.

saluki9 said:
On the contrary, I hope that they followed whatever code of conduct they were required to follow, and that they're capable of training their own troops to do the same some day. If a gun-toting guy orders me to play ping-pong while they roll video then that's what I'll do if it'll comply with the code of conduct while my bosses are trying to get me back home. And I'll expect all my shipmates to join in, too.

During their Hanoi Hilton sojourn, Stockdale used to promulgate the "price of the day". It was the amount of torture that the POWs were expected to submit to before they answered their interrogator's questions or signed the documents or made the videos or whatever. The idea was to preserve a measure of self-respect by paying a price while maximizing the number of live POWs. He was the senior POW and the other POWs had seen (or heard) what Stockdale was capable of doing, so the vast majority of them followed the policy.

Tell you what-- can I bundle up your comments and send them to one of my old leaders, Paul Galanti, for his commentary?

brewer12345 said:
Why? Why would you wish them ill after what they went through?

What was the outcome of compliance with their captors' demands? They stayed in one piece long enough to be released. Sounds like a reasonable choice to me.

Are those on the left the people always telling us that the end doesn't justify the means? Weakening the position of an entire country to save your own hide seems like a weak position to me. To me it's a sign of the times. This wouldn't have happened 20,30 or 40 years ago.

How long did it take them to crack, 24 hours? They're no John McCain.

saluki9 said:
This wouldn't have happened 20,30 or 40 years ago.
Well, then let's go back a little further:

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." -- George S. Patton

saluki9 said:
Are those on the left the people always telling us that the end doesn't justify the means? Weakening the position of an entire country to save your own hide seems like a weak position to me. To me it's a sign of the times. This wouldn't have happened 20,30 or 40 years ago.

Dude, I think you have some "issues" here that you should probably address with professional help. That's the only way I can imagine where you are coming from.

You really think the smart choice would be to hold out until they broke you? How does that help you, your family, or your country? So you have utmost respect for the Taliban types who keeep up their resistance through the 37th waterboarding?

Nords said:
Well, then let's go back a little further:

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." -- George S. Patton

Nords, you're a betting man. What do you think the chances were that they would have killed one of those prisoners? If this were afghanistan it would be a different story entirely (if you read a little history you will see that they are without a doubt the allstars when it comes to killing POWs) Iran has a political agenda and there isn't a chance in hell they would have hurt them.

Nords said:
If a gun-toting guy orders me to play ping-pong while they roll video then that's what I'll do if it'll comply with the code of conduct while my bosses are trying to get me back home. And I'll expect all my shipmates to join in, too.

i never knew this and glad to hear it from a military guy.

saluki9 said:

how can you claim self respect if you do not respect life itself? it is one thing to be brave. it is another to look life in the face and say "you're not worth losing a little self respect over."

life will always be bigger than you & pride goeth before the bullet.

saluki9 said:

This is not a left of right wing issue. Its about surviving. You way have big ****en balls and would have spit into those Iranians faces. However these people did not and survived. If you want to place blame. Scream at their government for sticking them in a no win situation forcing them to surrender.

When I first saw the British Hostages on TV I was appalled. However, I was looking at it from the U.S. code of conduct. Nords is right. It really depends on what the British Military Code of Conduct says. Without knowing this, to condemn or approve of their actions is to operate from a position of ignorance. Below is, I believe is the current U.S. Code of conduct.

The Code of Conduct
I am an American fighting in the forces that guard my country and our way of life, I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.

If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back them up in every way.

Should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies.

I will never forget that I am an American fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

brewer12345 said:
Dude, I think you have some "issues" here that you should probably address with professional help. That's the only way I can imagine where you are coming from.

You really think the smart choice would be to hold out until they broke you? How does that help you, your family, or your country? So you have utmost respect for the Taliban types who keeep up their resistance through the 37th waterboarding?

My only question is, whatever happend to name, rank, and serial #?

saluki9 said:
My only question is, whatever happend to name, rank, and serial #?

Last seen heading off into the sunset (towards Gitmo) with the Geneva Convention and the Bill of Rights...

saluki9 said:
Nords, you're a betting man. What do you think the chances were that they would have killed one of those prisoners? If this were afghanistan it would be a different story entirely (if you read a little history you will see that they are without a doubt the allstars when it comes to killing POWs) Iran has a political agenda and there isn't a chance in hell they would have hurt them.
I can't speak for the British Navy, but they don't need my help. I'll stick to what I know of the U.S. Navy.

I'd say the chances were pretty darn high that an obstreperous, resistant, angry, combative POW would be killed a lot more quickly than a cooperative, smiling, reasonable POW. There was no reason to kill a POW on purpose but there were plenty of opportunities to kill one by accident. In fact those Iranian "soldiers" would scare the hell out of me with their poor training, lousy weapons technique, and generally unprofessional behavior that gave them all those POWs in the first place. The time to kick their assets would have been before I was captured. After the capture I'd be a combination of Guy Smiley & Gumby until I met someone who I trusted to be able to safe their weapons without shooting off parts of my anatomy. Their senior chain of command would appreciate the additional leverage offered by a live POW instead of a dead enemy.

Second, an obstreperous, resistant, angry, combative POW is not only a liability to his own health & safety but also to that of all his shipmates. If he's not cooperating then they'll just shoot one of his shipmates somewhere (hopefully) non-lethal until he calms down a little. If he's not answering questions then there's no need to start shooting (see the previous paragraph) but if he's raising a ruckus then they'd feel justified. Better yet, they know these infidels go crazy when they mess with their women-- so maybe they'll start there. They've seen just as many Abu Ghraib photos as we have and they're probably just as creative.

Third, an ORAC POW is not helping to facilitate the escape attempt. We want the guards to be lulled into a sense of false security by our Oscar-winning impressions of being scared little bunny rabbits. There's plenty of time to be a predator later, especially if they're bunched closer together to snicker with each other instead of spread out for mutual defense. Or maybe we'd be better off ditching the predator bit altogether in favor of departing with surprise, speed, and distance.

Fourth, an ORAC POW is not helping their chain of command with whatever mission they were trying to accomplish. It's kinda hard to lay ordnance on targets when your POWs are handcuffed to their rooftops. Stay out of trouble, stay alive, and let the bosses work on getting them out. It's a lot easier to rescue prisoners who are ambulatory than those who've been beaten, shot, and so forth.

Fifth, an ORAC POW is not helping their country's diplomatic & national command authorities. If everyone behaves themselves then we can keep talking until meaningless diplomatic semantic apologies are exchanged and hostages are released. If a POW's behavior leads to public retaliation then the POW's govt may feel it has no choice but to make an example of not negotiating with terrorists. Kinda tough on the shipmates and their families, but that's what happens when the govt makes decisions based on the needs of the many instead of the needs of the few.

All those POWs had to do was exactly what they did. They sat tight, followed their code of conduct, and waited for the next step. No one faults them for any video or documents or statements that were obtained under duress. It's the same thing the U.S. Navy's EP-3 crew did on Hainan-do and what Scott O'Grady did after flunking his F-16's Bosnia missile-evasion practical exam. It's the same thing that the U.S. Navy teaches at its Survival, Evasion, Resistance, & Escape school and the same thing the Army teaches its Rangers & SF. For the rest of us who didn't get to attend that kind of training, it's precisely why articles III, IV, & V of the U.S. military's code of conduct (hey, thanks Rustic) are written the way they are... in the blood of Stockdale, McCain, Galanti, and the rest of the POWs. I don't think the words "pussies" or "self-respect" are in there either.

For those of you not familiar with Paul Galanti, he was the pilot in the POW movie who was averting his face and scratching his neck with his middle finger in a gesture that wasn't recognized by the NVA. When the Russians explained that little cultural oversight to their NVA counterparts, Galanti paid a high price for a defiant gesture that served no purpose. In his defense, he says that he was young & stupid.

I can't speak for the Taliban but my nephew the Army Ranger has a couple deployments' hands-on experience. I'll ply him with a frosty beverage or two next month and see what he can tell me.

See, if the Iranians really wanted their British POWs to spill their guts, all they had to do was to start pouring the Guinness...

When I was a student at Monterey, my physics prof (about 75 years old, maybe older) was mugged outside a San Francisco restaurant. He tended to have a problem with not being allowed to do what he wanted, and he had the police record to show for it. Sure enough he started to chew out his assailant, make a scene, and threaten the guy with the gun to the point where the mugger shot the professor in the face until he was dead. He was defending a wallet with some ID, charge cards, and a couple hundred bucks. No doubt that was a huge consolation to his widow and the rest of his family.

You're correct, Saluki, that the military is supposed to resist. But there's a time & place for it. That resistance has to have a purpose and it doesn't work if you or your shipmates are dead. Self-respect and testosterone poisoning have nothing to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom