It's True That Time Flies By Faster As We Get Older — And Here's The Reason Why

Luvtoride

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Interesting article and a feeling many of us have. I love some of the comments after the article. Let’s get out there and do new stuff to SLOW down our perception of time

There's a reason our perception of time changes as we age — but there are also ways to make it feel slower!
Read in BuzzFeed: https://apple.news/A2xeLbGnxRluFPzaiHox9Eg

I first became aware of it around the time I got out of college. Without reading the article, my thought process on it was that when you're young, each year, or any amount of time, for that matter, represents a larger part of your whole life experience. For instance, when you turned 10, that previous year was 1/10 of everything you've ever experienced. And probably more, for that matter, as you probably don't remember much, from your first few years of life.

But when you turned 20, that previous year was only 1/20th, and so on.

I think another thing that might happen, is that other than a few major life events here and there, life often becomes more repetitive as you age. When you're young, things change fast, as you grow. You learn to walk, talk, go through nursery school, kindergarten, elementary school, junior high, high school, possibly college. You're also constantly learning along the way, and your body is growing, and changing fast. Going through puberty is usually a pretty big milestone. So is learning to drive. And moving out on your own, getting a job, getting married, having kids, and so on.

But then, as you get older, it just seems to get repetitive. You might move every once in awhile, get a promotion/change jobs, take vacations here and there, but it still often just falls into a pattern. Things still change, but it's still not the same as the first time you did something. For instance, you're most likely going to buy a new car every once in awhile, but even that becomes repetition. It's not the same as the first time you got a car.

At least, that's my theory on it. YMMV.

Andre. Well summarized even without reading the article. As it says, we can try to slow things down by getting out of that repetitive cycle and doing new things. Certainly a good objective/ resolution for those of us able to try.

Thanks...after I typed that I went ahead and read the article and was like wow, I more or less nailed it! With my own concept of time, one thing I've noticed too, is that for some reason, it seems like it passes by slower in the morning/mid-day, but then the afternoon/evening seem to pass quicker. Or even some event, like being on a vacation. Even if it's, say, just a one week vacation, somehow it seems like the days early on last longer, but the ones toward the end fly by too fast.

And I think I have childhood remnants of summer vacation etched in my brain, that affect my concept of time. Even though summer vacation is just one of those things that's like a distant dream, once you're out of school and into the working world, it seems like the memories and feeling remain. Even to this day, the period between Memorial Day and Independence Day seems to last a good, long time. But then after Independence Day, it's like you blink, and suddenly it's Labor Day!

Like the sheets on a roll of toilet paper--they go by faster the closer you get to the end of the roll.

Good article and so true. Time seems even faster when you have grand babies! Our oldest will be 18, middle one in 2nd grade and youngest will be starting preschool.
The oldest one was just 4 when we met him! I swear it was just last year:LOL:

This revelation came to me in my 20s. On my way to work, I was stopped at a long red light. Crossing the side street was an old man. He was shuffling. One...foot...at...a...time. He'd made it about one-quarter of the way before my light turned green and I was gone. He would be all morning, just walking to the store and back.

We slow down and time seems to fly by. Makes sense when you see it that way.

I love this from the comment section in the article.....

My grandson got it right when I told him time went by more quickly as you get older. He replied “Yes grandad, everything goes faster when you are going down hill.”..:facepalm:

I figured that in my teens, just remembering how long it was between the beginning of kindergarten and the beginning of first grade. Didn't need an article to figure that out.

I find that driving to dance class takes a very long time, then the dance with a woman is over in flash.

This is my third weekend in the past seven days. I don't know how that is, but every three days it's Friday again.

Oops, I see that it's Saturday. See what I mean?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom