Outdoor Antenna for TV

Before you go Dish, buy a few antennas and see what you can get. The reception maps indicated that I wouldn't get much, but I was plesantly surprised to get 29 channels, including all the major networks. You can always return the antennas... over the course of a month I ended up buying 4 and return 3.

^ that is interesting pb4uski. I might have to do that and of course experiment on location etc.. Thanks

Interesting!!! All info very helpful!

Has anyone here use DISH as a TV supplier:confused: If so do you have to buy the Dish and or any other equipment for installation?? I can't seem to find that answer on their site. They do all free installation from outside to inside free of charge up to 6 rooms.
If you're thinking about Dish, check their reviews, what they advertise and promise is usually not what you get without a lot of additional charges, extra boxes would be one example. You rent the equipment from them. To be fair, I have not had them in many years now but at that time you only got free installation if you signed a 2 year contract. I elected to pay the installation fee so I could go month to month and when the installer showed up he was very aggressive as he insisted I sign his 2 year agreement which I was not going to do. Their billing was awful, they simply added fake charges to my bill for months and removed them when I called and could not answer why this happening. Picture quality was fine, the only problem I ever had was a few times snow or other bad weather messed with the signal which was extremely rare. In my case Spectrum was the best for TV but I only have them for Internet now. I get my network TV through Locast or my antenna.

WOW! That is good to know. Thanks!!

^ that is interesting pb4uski. I might have to do that and of course experiment on location etc.. Thanks

Do you have an old set of rabbit ears? Seriously, there are great antennas, but just to test, grab anything you can get your hands on. Ask a friend . . . Any basic antenna is good for testing. If you get some good signals, think about something better. Again, can’t stress that web site enough. It will show you if you even have a chance, but more important, what direction to point your antenna.

We use a roof top antenna, get a lot of channels over the air , all free, most are HD.

The radio stations are about 30 miles from us. Its the type of antenna you see out in farmland.

8d965ff0-0229-4c50-a198-af20f271d5a5

Definitely try anything you have for free first, including rabbit ears. You might be surprised.

I had some time to burn during the pandemic, and I also had all the stuff, including the balun, so I made one of these. It works OK. Nothing special, just free. Search for "homemade antenna" and you'll see 100's of articles on this type.
dtv_homemade_antenna.jpg

Definitely try anything you have for free first, including rabbit ears. You might be surprised.

I had some time to burn during the pandemic, and I also had all the stuff, including the balun, so I made one of these. It works OK. Nothing special, just free. Search for "homemade antenna" and you'll see 100's of articles on this type.
dtv_homemade_antenna.jpg

I just posted what I bought 4 years ago before I saw this, but that was before wanting to retire early. Homemade is like this one is probably more inline with saving money.

I bought this more than a year ago. I get 29 over the air channels from 2 different geographic markets. I get all the networks plus a bunch of misc channels that tend to show older TV series. I couldn’t be happier. I mounted it on my deck and not the roof. I ran coax cable through the wall into my basement and then used a splitter to run it into 2 different rooms. I then used a powered signal amplifier to boost the signal a little. I don’t miss cable at all.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/antenn...or-hdtv-antenna-black/5894080.p?skuId=5894080

After my old traditional style antenna finally corroded through from many years of salt air and hurricanes I replaced it with the less expensive ($99) ClearStream like the one above. It is directional since all the stations are 20+ miles west of us anyway. So much smaller than the old style and gives us the same or better reception of the 26 local channels/subchannels.

Cheers!

Last edited:
WOW! Very interesting I will see about rabbit ears but definitely try an antenna. I really like that home made job! Thanks!!!!

If you are in an area where the signals are weak, sometimes the coax down from the attic is the difference between a great experience and a marginal one, even if you amplify the signal. Sometimes the amplification actually makes things worse.

What I have done is put tuners in the attic. I have 2 boxes, each box has 2 tuners, so I can watch or record 4 shows at a time. The tuner boxes communicate on Ethernet, so the coax cable signal loss isn't a problem. I can watch OTA TV on any computer or phone on the home network, and to get a display (aka TV) to work, I added a Raspberry Pi with Kodi (completely a cookbook install...no knowledge required, only patience).

The tuners I use are called HDHomeRun, but there are probably various brands. If I were starting over, I'd find someone on avsforum that had a working setup and clone it.

Last edited:
Another thing about antennas. They’re nice to have even if you have cable. I installed mine to try to get rid of cable, but that wasn’t good for me. I went back to cable. However, I kept the antenna and it comes in handy. A few weeks ago, we lost power and the cable company did too. So, even though we had a generator, no cable. With the antenna, at least I got some entertainment but mostly glad to have a connection to our local news.

Also, all of our cable tv is now streamed. If I just want to watch the nightly news, I’ll flip over to the antenna. There’s no lag like there is with streaming while RUKU loads, then the cable company app loads, and then your channel loads. And, it’s a very good picture.

@street, if you're not confused yet you haven't been paying attention. I'd suggest thinking about the problem as follows:

1) The most important factor is line-of-sight. If the earth were a billiard ball that would pretty much be the only important factor. So, start by figuring the distance and height of the transmitting antennas you would like to hear. The stations should be able to tell you their lat/long and antenna height with a phone call. Worst case, if you know the approximate location, search the internet for an aviation "Sectional Chart" to suit. The tower heights will be shown and the web site will probably have some kind of measuring tool. Then find a line-of-sight calculator that you like. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-e&q=line+of+sight+radio+calculator From the calculator you can figure the minimum height your antenna needs to be..

2) The next factor is terrain. If you figure out the highest hill between you and the transmitter, a good LOS calculator can deal with that. Worst case is @UnrealizedPotential's post where the antenna had to be on the hill

3) Next is obstructions like houses, trees, etc. Ideally your antenna can be high enough to look over nearby obstructions. At our lake home, I have a cell phone booster antenna about 30' in the air but it is looking through trees between us and the cell tower. Reception in the summer with leaves on the trees is noticeably worse than in the winter.

4) Next is probably reflection and diffraction effects. These put signals in places that the LOS calculators don't expect but it is pretty much the luck of the draw. This is why moving and turning an indoor antenna can sometimes work.

5) Finally, the antenna. Indoors you can try the @pb4 technique and hope you get lucky. Outside on a mast, changing antennas is not so much fun. There I'd stick with a yagi -- an old reliable design. Alternatively, if you have stations in multiple directions you can try an omnidirectional antenna. Worst case here is the omni antenna isn't good enough; then you get to put an antenna rotator on the yagi mast and turn the antenna every time you change stations.

If your antenna cable run is more than a few tens of feet, make sure to buy good coaxial cable. RG-6 from a good manufacturer like Belden is probably adequate to 100 feet or so. I use LMR-400 on my ham antennas but it is a bit expensive. Weather seal all outside connections with self-bonding rubber tape.

The more elements the yagi has, the more sensitive it is and the more directional it is. If you have any neighbors at similar elevations to yours, I'd eyeball their antennas to see how high, big, and complex they are -- a guide for you. You want the minimum number of elements that work. More is usually not better.

Hopefully you have enough signal that an indoor antenna will work. It's really not much fun to be dealing with an outdoor antenna on a mast, even with no rotor.

If you have plenty of time, do those steps from OS. To get the most done quickly, go on nextdoor and ask to figure which antenna and mount height and resulting acquisitions. Or walk around the neighborhood, looking for antennas.

We recently moved to a new home that is 30-50 miles from the nearest tv towers. With rabbit ears on the 2nd floor I could get a few channels but they tended to drop out periodically. I purchased this model of a renewed antenna from directly from ANTOP, (https://www.amazon.com/ANTOP-Generation-Dual-Omni-Reception-Exclusive/dp/B07FZR86KS), and repurposed an old satellite post from the previous owners to install a 20' high antenna using two 10' lengths of chain link fence top rail secured 1/2 way up with a guy wire to the side of the house which pulls the pole tight against the roof overhang.

We now get 55 channels including sub-channels, and most of them are crystal clear and stable so we don't miss out on any major channels. Since the satellite wiring was still hooked up to the house I didn't have to run any new wires in the house and we have 5 tv's hooked up throughout without any issues!!

Whoo-hoo and it was only a total investment of about $90.

Last edited:
Thank you so much all this info really helps. I did check what I would receive with an antenna and looks like two channels. I could live with that but my wife enjoys her TV. She said this morning that she will look into what we would like to do and our options and come up with a plan.

Don't forget those two channels probably have sub channels on them, so you might get 8 channels all together.
Did you put your zip code into TV fool, and find you only have two transmitters within 50 miles?
I have a DIY antenna, (built by a friend) there is one station that is 50.3 miles away and it is rock solid. I have one 75.4 miles that is probably 50/50. This is with 3 TVs sharing the signal.
The complicating factor is if you have stations in more than one direction. If they are far, (50miles) you want an antenna that is more directional, meaning the reception pattern is stronger in one direction. But, this means if you have a station in another direction, it might not get picked up. Then you would need an antenna rotator. If you have two closer stations but in different directions, you might be good with a less directional antenna pattern. (omni)
I point my antenna North 0* for most of my stations, but I still get a station that is at 79*, 19 miles away rock solid.
Be happy to answer questions if you have any.

The tuners I use are called HDHomeRun, but there are probably various brands. If I were starting over, I'd find someone on avsforum that had a working setup and clone it.

And I'll clone sengsational's. :)

One option for DVR with an antenna that requires almost no setup is TabloTV. You can even buy one that doesn't require a USB hard drive.

I have one and it is easy to use. I don't like the long channel switch time and default compression quality. But for a quick and dirty solution, it is great.

My next setup will be along the lines of what sengsational has.

Last edited:
I've watched a video that said the Fire TV Recast has much more sensitive tuners than most TVs. It could be his TVs were just bad, but either way the recast picked up more channels than his TVs.

Back
Top Bottom