PBS 8PM "1964-American Experience"

Lcountz

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi all...on PBS tonight, 8PM on east coast, a 2 hour show about "1964-The Year America Lost It" about the '60s and how things/times changed...

Just an FYI in case anyone is interested.....!

50 years ago....I was 8.

Am watching it now. 1964 has always been of interest to me. It was the year I was born.

Watched it. Very interesting, though no surprises, per se. I was only 9-10yo at the time, but remember much of it, albeit without the understanding and experience of an adult. The confluence of the separate events that lead into the late 60s-70s and beyond is easier to see after illustration.

Of course, that was now fifty years ago, but to think of the injustices of those times, particularly racial injustice, did and does indeed shake my faith in what I was lead to believe was the "American Way". That's not to say we haven't made great strides in equality under the law since then...

As a child of the 60s-70s, I was often troubled by the vehemence and violence of many of the actors of that era, but many of those who were trying to "change" things, hopefully for the better, were only radicalized by the response, or lack of same, of those who stood in opposition to those changes.

I missed the program last night, but I'm sure I can catch it on the PBS channel on my Roku, or on the PBS website. Hard to believe it has been 50 years...............:nonono:

Why didn't you stop disco from happening?
Wrong decade :cool:

Disco was of the late '70's.

The 60's?

I graduated from HS, Tech School (before there were Community Colleges), received my draft notice (eh, actually report for a physical; I enlisted at the age of 17 anyway - I knew what was on the horizon: Yes, I'm a Nam vet)_

And in '69? I returned from Nam and got married to my HS sweetheart (yes, we're still together, some 45 years later - a good investment by me, IMHO).

It was a hel* of a decade :facepalm: ...

Disco started in the early 70's, so a good time to stop it from happening would have been the mid to late 60's.

Disco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In what is considered a forerunner to disco style clubs, New York City DJ David Mancuso opened The Loft, a members-only private dance club set in his own home, in February 1970.[21][22] Allmusic claims some have argued that Isaac Hayes and Barry White were playing what would be called disco music as early as 1971. According to the music guide, there is disagreement as to what the first disco song was. Claims have been made for Manu Dibango's "Soul Makossa" (1972), Jerry Butler's "One Night Affair" (1972), the O'Jays' "Love Train" (1972, #1 hit), the Hues Corporation's "Rock the Boat" (1973), and George McCrae's "Rock Your Baby" (1974).[6][23] The first article about disco was written in September 1973 by Vince Aletti for Rolling Stone magazine.[24] In 1974 New York City's WPIX-FM premiered the first disco radio show.[22]

Hi all...on PBS tonight, 8PM on east coast, a 2 hour show about "1964-The Year America Lost It" about the '60s and how things/times changed...

Just an FYI in case anyone is interested.....!

50 years ago....I was 8.

Sorry….All my fault - I was born that year!…:)

I caught most of the last hour of the show and it was a pretty good watch. I have several PBS stations here in the NYC area so the show is bound to air again on each one of them over the next few weeks.

In 1964 I was 14 but didn't really pay much attention to all the political stuff. Too busy with school and working, cars, model airplanes, motorcycles and girls, figuring out what I wanted to do after HS, community college and working.

At the community college someone tried to organize a protest but since everyone had jobs after school only three people showed up. After that we all called it "Apathy U".

The photo is me in, I think, 1964. Note the bent landing gear, holes in the bottom of the wing and broken propeller. First flight did not go well. I did eventually learn to fly it.

Attachments

• Me_1964-1.jpg
    Me_1964-1.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 7
I caught most of the last hour of the show and it was a pretty good watch. I have several PBS stations here in the NYC area so the show is bound to air again on each one of them over the next few weeks.

Likely also available on the PBS website.

I have a Manu Dibango cd, and also a video.

This was nice period of danceable music, coming on the dancers' wasteland of the Beatles and hard rock music. Funk is hypnotic and sexy, I really enjoyed the Disco years. Last Days of Disco is great movie of the late, fully Americanized disco period. Might have been the first movie for Chloe Sevigny. Also had Kate Beckinsale in a perfect depiction of a b*tch. (That's not butch.)

Ha

Back
Top Bottom